ASUS SK8V VS EPoX EP-8KDA3+

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks for stoping in, I have a quick question.
I have been without a good computer for a couple of years and I am now getting back into gaming online and want something blazing fast...even if it means me waiting a few months to get it.
My question: What motherboard should I opt for? The ASUS SK8V or the EPoX EP-8KDA3+?
My other question is pretty lame but hey...I'm a newbie all over again. What CPU can be used with the asus and what CPU's can be used with the EPoX? The reason I ask is because I might want to go cheaper and not opt for the FX chips and just go straight for a normal 64 "clawhammer" core chip.
Help me out please guys!
Please feel free to save me money but please reccommend something fast.
Take care :)

just get a normal k8v, not the sk8v. those athlon fx's are overpriced. k8v w/ a 3700+ will be a very nice system and you won't have to buy registered RAM(more expensive) or very expensive motherboard. Plus, you get a nice box with that k8v lololol:D

Yeah I was cheaking out that board also but the EPoX has won a buttload of awards and is very tweakable....I love to tweak stuff. The EPoX takes the normal 64's right?
Thank you!

coffee33 said:
Yeah I was cheaking out that board also but the EPoX has won a buttload of awards and is very tweakable....I love to tweak stuff. The EPoX takes the normal 64's right?
Thank you!

Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53's cost about a 100 dollars more than the 3700+, but give you no multiplier lock, dual channel, 1meg of L2 cache as a bonus. So if you're already going up to the 700 dollars for a 3700+, you might as well go to the 800 dollars of the FX-53, imho.

Especially since all Socket 939 CPUs (including the newly launched A64 FX-53) can use regular RAM, not ECC RAM. That's one of their chief advantages over Socket 940.

ReNeGaDe* said:
I thought the 3700+ has dual channel anyways cos its S939

The 3700+ is Socket 754. The 3000+, 3200+, 3400+, and 3700+ are all socket 754. The 3500+, 3800+, and one version of the FX-53 are Socket 939. Previous AMD A64 FX's all come in Socket 940, including the former versions of FX-53.

Back