ASUS Shows Off Concept GeForce RTX 40 Graphics Card Without Power-Connectors, Uses Proprietary Slot

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://wccftech.com/asus-shows-off...thout-power-connectors-uses-proprietary-slot/

There's a second connector to the right of the PCIe x16 connector, with some big contacts for power delivery. Seems like, in concept, it might not be a bad idea.

1685374922722.png

1685374948349.png

1685374970601.png

I would be curious to see where the leading connector from PSU sits.
more pictures at link. #1, it's one of those boards Asus already demoed with most of the connectors on the backside. Looks like there are about 5 2x4 connectors there, two for CPU and 3 for GPU, as well as what might be a 12VHPWR one.

IF ASUS pushes to get that standardized and we start seeing GPU’s with both options from all vendors then I would get behind this. Otherwise it’s not only brand locked but also something they could remove on a whim so… not something I would buy into unless I was trying to make something very pretty which I have neither the time nor the money for.

You're not wrong but a well-designed connector used by everyone seems like an improvement over current GPU connectors.
Like the one we have currently?

My thoughts exactly.

I can get behind this if (and only if) Asus makes it an open standard EVERYONE can and does use.

I am entirely opposed to and will boycott and trash on any and all forums any and all proprietary connectors.

Anyone who tries to fragment and proprietize the open intercompatibility of the PC market deserves to be driven into bankruptcy.

Also, keep in mind that now you are pulling lots of power off the motherboard, so it is going to need more power. Probably just more EPS 12v connectors I guess, but who knows.

My thoughts exactly.

I can get behind this if (and only if) Asus makes it an open standard EVERYONE can and does use.

I am entirely opposed to and will boycott and trash on any and all forums any and all proprietary connectors.

Anyone who tries to fragment and proprietize the open intercompatibility of the PC market deserves to be driven into bankruptcy.

Also, keep in mind that now you are pulling lots of power off the motherboard, so it is going to need more power. Probably just more EPS 12v connectors I guess, but who knows.
I am mostly fine with the MB pulling more power, servers are already notorious for it I have shit plugging into the boards directly all over those including my GPU's they are using the standard connectors but they have them plug into the board by the PSU then a break out from the board to the GPU so there aren't wires mucking up the Airflow in a rack mount chassis. So I am not opposed to the idea of this connector, in fact, I like it, and between the new 12VHPWR connector and this one, I would take the ASUS one in a heartbeat, IF it were a ratified standard and something that was added to the PCIE standard, not as a vendor one off though.

and personally i'd rather have apples connector then trying to put 400+ watts through that tiny ass connector.
I have similar ones doing 550w in a 2U rack mount, they are fine, but it adds board cost for sure, but does so by removing costs from other areas I can see OEMs liking this idea but they would want it as a standard of some sort too.

People who clicked the link or read my followup comment would know.

Because Apple already did, I wonder if it would not be a bit hard to make this proprietary and locked from other for Asus, but they say:
ASUS has told us that the slot is proprietary although we have seen a similar slot implementation on AMD's Radeon Pro offerings for Apple Pro systems.

How much of this, is about windowed case aesthetic ? I could see it being superior regardless, back connector and power delivery like this

Last edited:
Not a bad idea but would make slotting it in be a bit harder, as well as releasing the latch. But may help with GPU sag to have the connector more in the middle. It would also make smaller profile GPUs go away but GPUs have been getting so much bigger over the years so I doubt that matters.

So I don't mind the concept. It keeps backwards compatibility. But I feel like if they are going to do that and design GPUs around this new motherboard style/clearance they may as well just figure out something to replace PCIe with.

Reactions: travm
like this
Because Apple already did, I wonder if it would not be a bit hard to make this proprietary for Asus, but they say:
ASUS has told us that the slot is proprietary although we have seen a similar slot implementation on AMD's Radeon Pro offerings for Apple Pro systems.

How much of this, is about windowed case aesthetic ? I could see it being superior regardless, back connector and power delivery like this
To touch on this here, between 12VO and PCIe5, board manufacturers need to add two additional layers for power delivery, those two layers are pretty empty, putting the connectors on the back simplifies some design and construction elements which does cut back the added costs but it doesn't cut them back enough. Adding additional traces to those two layers is simple and doesn't add any significant costs to the board beyond what those two layers already did, but a connector like this which removes other wires and gives a cleaner-looking setup could be perceived as adding value to a board which would let them charge enough to cover the spread. So for a modern board where the MB is already doing a crap load of power delivery and management, it makes sense for a board manufacturer to shift those costs from a component like the GPU to the MB because there are significant savings they can make by adding a relatively small number of additional components to the MB while removing those components from the GPUs themselves, it also would allow them to unify their GPU board designs which could cut back on low volume orders of components and put more parts on bulk orders instead.

Last edited:
So I don't mind the concept. It keeps backwards compatibility. But I feel like if they are going to do that and design GPUs around this new motherboard style/clearance they may as well just figure out something to replace PCIe with.

Not much out there to replace PCIe with. New versions keep getting faster, nobody really wants more lanes per slot (but there's some server x32 slot designs out there), it just wasn't meant for massive power delivery that gpus need now.

I like this in theory: if your motherboard has this power slot and your GPU doesn't have the card edge, you could put in a cable with card edge on one end and whatever 12v end(s) your GPU needs. Might be harder the other way, plus you gotta watch out for components to hit with that extra edge. If everybody does it, it makes sense though.

Not a bad idea but would make slotting it in be a bit harder, as well as releasing the latch. But may help with GPU sag to have the connector more in the middle. It would also make smaller profile GPUs go away but GPUs have been getting so much bigger over the years so I doubt that matters.

They did kinda think of what if someone wants to get 150w over this bus, but no one thought about 350 and coolers that weigh more than the PSU.

I would be curious to see where the leading connector from PSU sits.
1685458890360.png

Oh fuck off Asus.

Propriety connectors need to die. It is plain evil to try to break the universal compatibility we see in PC's
It still uses standard PCI-E 12V power. If this starts a conversation within the industry in how power is delivered to the video card while it's sitting in a case, then I am all for it. It's an entirely different thing altogether if ASUS starts only selling their video cards this way to lock people into their motherboards, too.

You know, outside of professional cards I don't think I've ever seen a graphics card a normal person would buy with one...
They were used a lot with Apple G3/G4 desktops, and a few other workstations like SGI if I remember correctly.
I've seen them out in the wild, but they weren't common by any stretch.

And how would this work on an ITX board? A PCI-E power connector to GPU Slot adaptor?

If it’s open for everyone I’m in favor of something like this, I’d also like to see the motherboard psu and cpu power connections either standardized to have a right angle off the motherboard or even on the back (other than mITX) but being in the back would be a way harder transition for the industry since every case would have to be revised.

I’d also like to see a standardized bracket system so everyone can use Puget Systems type CPU heat sink and GPU support brackets. The current GPU support brackets are trash and there really is no CPU support brackets especially like Puget Systems do.

If it’s open for everyone I’m in favor of something like this, I’d also like to see the motherboard psu and cpu power connections either standardized to have a right angle off the motherboard or even on the back (other than mITX) but being in the back would be a way harder transition for the industry since every case would have to be revised.

I’d also like to see a standardized bracket system so everyone can use Puget Systems type CPU heat sink and GPU support brackets. The current GPU support brackets are trash and there really is no CPU support brackets especially like Puget Systems do.
EPS connectors really are a pain in the ass to work with.

They were used a lot with Apple G3/G4 desktops, and a few other workstations like SGI if I remember correctly.
I've seen them out in the wild, but they weren't common by any stretch.
Yeah... No consumer gaming card I've seen ever had one. There was always a molex power connector (or a floppy power connector if you were ATi... lol) on a card. I hated trying to cleanly route molex cables with multiple connectors on them. It never was pretty. PCIe was a godsend from a routing perspective.

Back