ASUS should add SSD Secure Erase and new Z87 UEFI look to their Z77 ROG boards

Should ASUS add SSD Secure Erase and other Z87 UEFI updates to the Z77 ROG boards?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
I think it would show ASUS's commitment to their customers, particularly Ivy Bridge owners who have upgraded in the last few months if they introduced some of the new Z87 UEFI features such as SSD Secure Erase and the improved UEFI look and layout to their Z77 boards as well, if for nothing else but just the high-end ROG boards.

I know many of us plan to stay with our 3570k/3770k's instead of moving to Z87 since Haswell has been for the most part disappointing with the only minor performance improvements and limited overclocking potential due to the heat, and an updated UEFI with a few new features would at least give us something to look forward to from ASUS if we're not currently interested in Haswell.

So vote yes if you'd like to see any of the Z87 UEFI features added to your current Ivy Bridge board.

Last edited:
I voted yes simply because I agree, they should keep adding stuff to our Z77 boards. That said, would I ever use SE provided by a manufacturer that I can't even tell how it works today, nope (this might change once it's actually used by people).

As much as you would like free updates for your gear I doubt it'll happen. ASUS want reasons to make this stuff for newer boards so you have an excuse to go and buy them.

As much as you would like free updates for your gear I doubt it'll happen. ASUS want reasons to make this stuff for newer boards so you have an excuse to go and buy them.

Yeah but the updates aren't really free for those that built new Ivy Bridge rigs within the last few months or just two days before Haswell launched or who are even deciding to buy a new Z77 ROG board today and stick with Ivy Bridge.

Last edited:
Yeah but the updates aren't really free for those that built new Ivy Bridge rigs within the last few months or just two days before Haswell launched or who are even deciding to buy a new Z77 ROG board today and stick with Ivy Bridge.

If you weren't expecting to get them with the board when you paid for it, I'd consider it free. Presumably you knew haswell was coming with a new feature set - you can't even claim that you were unaware.

If you weren't expecting to get them with the board when you paid for it, I'd consider it free. Presumably you knew haswell was coming with a new feature set - you can't even claim that you were unaware.

And where do you think the money goes to when someone buys an Ivy Bridge board now after Haswell has been released? Any profit regardless of the platform the motherboard is on is in part going toward future development cost and to pay the salaries of those that work on those UEFI features. And it's got nothing to do with knowing what new feature set was coming with Haswell, this is a request to ASUS to include the new Z87 UEFI features that can be supported by the Z77 boards because a lot of Ivy Bridge owners aren't interested in Haswell but we are interested in new UEFI features and software updates and when we buy a $300-$400+ motherboard it would be nice to see it continue to get updates for performance and new features past the first few months of release.

Last edited:
Back