Asus Sabertooth x99 M.2 + SLI 5820K Question

fus10n

n00b
I researched this for hours, but I still can't come to a conclusion. Right now, I have an Asus Sabertooth x99 motherboard, Intel 5820K and running 2x 1070s SLI.

My CPU is 28 Lanes, and I want to run an M.2 drive. I didn't think that it would but, I started reading that the M.2 slot doesn't use lanes from the CPU but from the chipset.

My question is, can I run SLI and an M.2 drive with a 5820K.. any help would be great.

2018-08-05 (1).png
2018-08-05.png

Yes, you can. Your SLI setup will remain in the same 16/8 configuration so long that your cards are in PCI-e slots 1 and 2.

You are already running the SLI at x16/x8 so that would not change. I think that if you run a drive in the M.2 slot and nothing in PCIe slot 3, you should be good to go!

Yes, you can. Your SLI setup will remain in the same 16/8 configuration so long that your cards are in PCI-e slots 1 and 2.

You are already running the SLI at x16/x8 so that would not change. I think that if you run a drive in the M.2 slot and nothing in PCIe slot 3, you should be good to go!

Thank you both! I’ll get it ordered

If you can lay tour hands on a 5830K that has 40 PCIe lanes your SLI would run x16/x16 that you would probably notice the slight frame rate increase.

If you can lay tour hands on a 5830K that has 40 PCIe lanes your SLI would run x16/x16 that you would probably notice the slight frame rate increase.

I've been seriously debating this. I started looking at the 5830K, but then if I did that, would just get the 5960K.. but if I did that, I mines well get the 7820K and get a new motherboard, my RAM is Corsair Dominator 3000, so it should work. I also need a new case.. I have the Corsair 800D, which three builds have been in.. It's been through two moves as well.. It's seen better days..

I also running two ribbon cables and not a HB Bridge for SLI because I keep reading that the spacing is odd on the Sabertooth.. I'm all mixed up :p

There is no appreciable difference between 16/8 and 16/16 for single monitor users. You need triple monitor resolutions and low detail settings to max out FPS requirement to see the difference.

I have a 1440P ultrawide that I max out all settings with. I also have been wanting to upgrade.. lol Need a new drive and case.. My SSDs are Crucial M4s from 2012? running in raid 0, but just seem to be much faster options that don't require raid 0..

Back