Asus: Sabertooth P67 vs. P67 Pro/Deluxe

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Okay, which one to choose among these three mobos? Need to make decision superfast! Thanks.

Okay, which one to choose among these three mobos? Need to make decision superfast! Thanks.

Deluxe out of those three. Higher power phase than the Pro, and more PCIe than the Sabertooth. Plus the coloring of the Sabertooth is hideous imo.

No Pro or Deluxe, but there is Sabertooth to pick! Should I or shouldn't I?

Personally, I wouldn't put a Sabertooth in a gaming rig. It's simply not built for multi-gpu or overclocking. Yeah...it can do it, but not to the same degree as the Deluxe. It's a great board if you never plan to OC or SLI/CF though. I'd put it into a workstation in a heartbeat.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-moth...al-asus-sabertooth-motherboards-club-tuf.html

I don't know why the Sabertooth has less phases than that Pro or Deluxe, but they are tested like server mobos which should guarantee better reliability.

ASUS Unique Features Exclusive TUF Features
"Ultimate COOL!" Thermal Solution
- TUF Thermal Armor
- TUF Thermal Radar
"TUF ENGINE!" Power Design
- 8+2 Digital Phase Power Design
- TUF Components (Alloy choke, Cap. & MOSFET; certified by military-standard)
- ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility
- E.S.P. : Efficient Switching Power Design
"Safe & Stable!" Guardian Angel
- ESD Guards
- MemOK!
- Anti Surge

http://www.overclock.net/intel-moth...al-asus-sabertooth-motherboards-club-tuf.html

I don't know why the Sabertooth has less phases than that Pro or Deluxe, but they are tested like server mobos which should guarantee better reliability.

I had a X58 Sabertooth, wasn't that impressed. The whole TUF thing is just a gimmick.

For gaming and overclocking you want to look at PCIe slots (location and lanes) and the power phase the board has.

All the major manufacturers use pretty much the same components. There may be a small change here or there, but for the most part it's all the same.

I'm not sure I buy into Gigabyte's 24 power phase claim.... it's just two 12s running side by side.

I say deluxe, the sabretooth is not a good looker!

If you're doing multi gpu go ws revolution. I'm going with the ws revo! Better pci-e layout than gigabyte, no gaudy heatsinks like the other asus boards ~ but stupid molex aux power connector.

I say deluxe, the sabretooth is not a good looker!

If you're doing multi gpu go ws revolution. I'm going with the ws revo! Better pci-e layout than gigabyte, no gaudy heatsinks like the other asus boards ~ but stupid molex aux power connector.

You don't need to plug in the aux power.. It's just an option

I know why but I won't tell 'cause I;)'m on my way there too!

Did you buy the one in the display case? When I was there, there was one in the display case and like 20 mins later while I was looking elsewhere, it was gone. But I already webordered mine, so I went and paid for it then head home. Good thing I have a $25 off coupon, so I ended up paying only $194xx before tax.

Haven't you wondered why Asus only use 8+3 on their $364.99 MAXIMUS IV EXTREME, while they use 16+2 on their much cheaper p8p67 deluxe? :D

Its cheaper to slap on more phases then to use higher quality caps, mosfets and chokes. Asus made their TUF series for people who want the quality components of the highend boards, but don't need all the features.

Edit:
Here its well explained:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036175650&postcount=6

Here ASUS explains what TUF is for and the difference between the other MB's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoL6SQsZ3qY

Last edited:
Haven't you wondered why Asus only use 8+3 on their $364.99 MAXIMUS IV EXTREME, while they use 16+2 on their much cheaper p8p67 deluxe? :D

Its cheaper to slap on more phases then to use higher quality caps, mosfets and chokes. Asus made their TUF series for people who want the quality components of the highend boards, but don't need all the features.

Edit:
Here its well explained:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036175650&postcount=6

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for pointing this out to people!

How will the Sabertooth over clock compared to the other two? Looking at the Asus site I noticed that the deluxe (and EVO for that matter) have these over clocking abilities. But I would think the Bios would be for the most part the same???

What is "Precision Tweaker 2" anyways?

Precision Tweaker 2
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.005V increment
- vCCIO: Adjustable I/O voltage at 0.00625V increment
- vCCSA: 144-step system agent voltage control
- vDRAM Bus: 160-step Memory voltage control
- vPCH: 90-step Chipset voltage control
- vCPU_PLL: 160-step CPU & PCH PLL voltage control
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- BCLK/PEG frequency tuning from 80MHz up to 300MHz at 0.1MHz increment
Overclocking Protection
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Personally, I wouldn't put a Sabertooth in a gaming rig. It's simply not built for multi-gpu or overclocking. Yeah...it can do it, but not to the same degree as the Deluxe.

Such FUD. Many of you are caught up in the marketing hype of OC boards.
Countless threads about the Deluxe/Pro boards having issues in this forum and others.

How is this any different from any other motherboards multi-gpu stanpoint? It support 2 gpu at 8x just like the deluxe and the pro? I am not following.

The Sabertooth's last expansion slot is a PCI slot and has a total of 2 full sized PCIe slots.
The Deluxe has a full size PCIe slot for a total of 3. I think the last slot is only 4x though, so it doesn't seem like it would help for GPU placement.

I edited my post to include the speed of the last slot. So it wouldn't help after all.

well all will work fine depending what you are looking for.

want good futures delux
want better futures pro
want great warranty sabertooth

if you got case without see through panel go with sabertooth

well all will work fine depending what you are looking for.

want good futures delux
want better futures pro
want great warranty sabertooth

Dang I want a better Future, I should have gone Pro instead of going back to school. :p

Finally got a little time to install the Sabertooth in the HAF 932 and boots right up. Running Windows that was installed for P67 Pro, which is wrapped up in a box ready for RMA back to Asus. So far my 2600K doesn't want to run at 50x100 even with 1.50v (Overvolt Enable and the board is giving a 1.536v) but no, not stable. Want to grab the M4E, but it's nowhere to be found.

Did you buy the one in the display case? When I was there, there was one in the display case and like 20 mins later while I was looking elsewhere, it was gone. But I already webordered mine, so I went and paid for it then head home. Good thing I have a $25 off coupon, so I ended up paying only $194xx before tax.

I'm sure we are talking Microcenter here (I'm in Maryland). I saw your post and immediately checked Microcenter and was shocked to see Two Sabertooth P67 B3 in stock. I web ordered as fast as possible and snagged one. I checked other locations and the whole country was sold out very quickly.

Finally got a little time to install the Sabertooth in the HAF 932 and boots right up. Running Windows that was installed for P67 Pro, which is wrapped up in a box ready for RMA back to Asus. So far my 2600K doesn't want to run at 50x100 even with 1.50v (Overvolt Enable and the board is giving a 1.536v) but no, not stable. Want to grab the M4E, but it's nowhere to be found.

When you say "Overvolt Enabled" are you meaning you have the internal PLL overvolt enabled?

[EDIT] ... oh and I told ya so. :) The Sabertooth isn't for extreme overclocking, which is what a 5 Ghz OC is. It doesn't have enough power phases to hold a 5 Ghz OC. The Deluxe, WS Rev... those boards do.

I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about higher quality capacitors and chokes, but at the end of the day when your talking about pushing 5Ghz.... the SMALL change in quality of those components doesn't change the stability as much as higher power phases would.

Last edited:
I'm sure we are talking Microcenter here (I'm in Maryland). I saw your post and immediately checked Microcenter and was shocked to see Two Sabertooth P67 B3 in stock. I web ordered as fast as possible and snagged one. I checked other locations and the whole country was sold out very quickly.

Hehehehe...actually I was talking about a different location of MC. But they had the same quantity as you have said. There were three when I checked it. I quickly web-ordered one, then waited for the 10 o'clock opening time to approached and also the email saying web-order ready for pickup. When I got there, there was one in the display. Twenty mins later, it was gone but didn't actually see who was it that grabbed it. I could have gotten that one, too, just so other customers could be pissed off. LOL...

When you say "Overvolt Enabled" are you meaning you have the internal PLL overvolt enabled?

[EDIT] ... oh and I told ya so. :) The Sabertooth isn't for extreme overclocking, which is what a 5 Ghz OC is. It doesn't have enough power phases to hold a 5 Ghz OC. The Deluxe, WS Rev... those boards do.

I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about higher quality capacitors and chokes, but at the end of the day when your talking about pushing 5Ghz.... the SMALL change in quality of those components doesn't change the stability as much as higher power phases would.

We shall see as I have more time to fool around with it. I was actually surprise a salesperson at MC actually puts the Sabertooth above the Pro and Deluxe in term of features and OCing. I wonder how much he knows about the product(s).

By the way, other than the front usb3 panel and two gigabit ethernet, is there any other reason to get deluxe over pro?

We shall see as I have more time to fool around with it. I was actually surprise a salesperson at MC actually puts the Sabertooth above the Pro and Deluxe in term of features and OCing. I wonder how much he knows about the product(s).

16 + 2 power phase
Dual NICs
Front USB 3.0 (for what that's worth)
Padded I/O plate (the pro is a thin piece of metal)

Here's a bit officially from ASUS and their testings:

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

While our entire board lineup has been internally tested to fully support K series processors, when overclocking in multiplier ranges of 50 to 54x the higher end boards will benefit in two key categories.
1. Better Vdroop efficiency.
2. The ability to help drive and sustain a 50+ high load Overclock under maximum loads. Examples of boards that focus on this level are our Deluxe, WS, SABERTOOTH, and Maximus IV Extreme
Official ASUS P8P67 Series Overclocking Guide and Information

As Asus themselves says, only a certain percentage of CPU's can achieve 5GHz+ and not all of the motherboards can sustain that OC under maximum load.

To say it bluntly, the difference between the PRO's 12+2 and the Deluxe 16+2 (they use the same components in the power distibution system methinks) is that Asus slapped on 4 more phases to divide the current on, so that each of the phases gets less current (and thus gets less hot).
The difference between the Deluxe's 16+2 and the Maximus IV's 8+3 or the Sabertooth's 8+2 is that the Sabertooth and Maxium's caps, mosfets and chokes are higher quality that can take the beating and therefore doesn't need more.

The PRO and the Deluxe have TurboV for easy automatic overclock (there is a light version of this for Sabertooth in bios that seems to be capped at 4.3 according to tests and reviews).
The Deluxe is better then the PRO for maintaining higher overclock.
The Sabertooth is rated for 5GHz+ like the Deluxe and has less chance of busting a cap or overheating then any of the two above.

If I would be OC'ing instead of building for quiet gaming, I'd choose Sabertooth over Deluxe any day with its better components and 5 year warranty. For easy OC, I'd prefer Deluxe.

As for the looks of the Sabertooth, its love or hate it seems. Take a look at Worldexclusive's Sabertooth build here:
http://www.overclock.net/12604420-post374.html
And mickeys Gigabyte build in the same type of cabinet here:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036866486&postcount=2222

Both look good in their way, but personally, I prefer the clean look of Sabertooth. Taste is subjective. No right or wrong.

Last edited:
I think the sabertooth gets better cooling than other boards because of its TUF cover and by adding the 50mm fan

i have to say that the onboard nic on the sabertooth is better than the pcie intel CT nic had previously.

for those Power Phase Lovers.
MAXIMUS 4 has 11 Phases.
yes it's LESS!!!!! but Higher Quality!!!
same as SABERTOOTH!
i do own sabertooth p67 2600k @ 5ghz 24/7 for 2days so far.
Seen BSOD only once due to WRONG PLL setting.

Back