ASUS RTX 3080 TUF 10GB LHR - unpleasant RMA experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mgty23 confirmed?

1651099160853.png

I tried to put noctua fans, I got adapter to PWM fans for this card, but fans won't spin at all. It's S12A 120mm from Noctua. I used these on both Radeons 6800XT. Tried also add some grease to original fans, but these don't have any gap to put grease :(
View attachment 467870
View attachment 467871
View attachment 467872

Looks like only way to deal with it is to sell it.
You're willing to do all that Mickey Mouse BS, but you're too afraid to pull the heatsink off and change thermal pads? :rolleyes:

You're willing to do all that Mickey Mouse BS, but you're too afraid to pull the heatsink off and change thermal pads? :rolleyes:
Opening card, changing anything under heatsink is visible, plus risk of damaging warranty seal. Changing fans is not risky, as I swapped back to original and there is no sign of opening. It's not BS, but was working solution for 4 cards I had and much less risky about warranty.
Who the hell are you talking about? Check my profile and topics I was in, don't know any mgty23.

Just to sume up all in this thread:
- card starting to overheat after around 6 months (I made check every 3 months of hardware) and for unknown reason curve I used for 6 months is not enough
- found one incorrect thermopad
- card is on warranty, service have not fixed it, but increased fan curve in bios (termopad is still intact)
- card become louder than was before
- I want to sell card, thus I don't want to open it (break warranty seal and leavy any visible changes, that future customer would see - including thermopads different colour)
- you are here saying Asus did nothing wrong, and suggesting it's my fault I have sensitive hearing.
So don't know anything about you, but I don't like to be screwed by any company, and ASUS did screwed me. Maybe in future you will also need help with company like this?
How you would feel about it? Accordin to more laws BS, I bought a product, which in short term become worse (louder) and you don't see any problem in this.

Last edited:
it's bad I wont' get it I mean I still have New Dawn to play.

I agree.
You fussed with doing all this junk with fans, complain over and over about the thermal pad gap and then dont fix it.
I also dont get the constant complaining about ASUS. They tested your gpu, what else should they do?
The gpu works fine. Even your local shop says so.
By the way, did you show the thermal pad deal to your local shop guys?
Maybe they would fix it for you.

Is that an Asus thing? Because with other cards it will. That’s how I knew my Gigabyte was hitting max memory temps during mining. Core was 50ish but memory was 110c and fans were maxed.

I have an ASUS 3090 TUF and it behaves like your card so no. The funny thing though is I wouldn't have known about it if a friend of mine hadn't insisted on making me try his miner app. I have no found any other way to get the memory hot enough to get the fan speed to ramp up noticeably. Which is great because I don't mine and don't want to mod my card :)

I agree.
You fussed with doing all this junk with fans, complain over and over about the thermal pad gap and then dont fix it.
I also dont get the constant complaining about ASUS. They tested your gpu, what else should they do?
The gpu works fine. Even your local shop says so.
By the way, did you show the thermal pad deal to your local shop guys?
Maybe they would fix it for you.
First i dont have any spare thermal pads - i wont buy them as they are expensive - i stated this before.
I also stated in ASUS contact service and letter to shop (and service) thermalpad is incorrect.
Card isnt fixed - it have just increased fan speed. Thats why i complain - its not fixed as reported issues:
- overheating
- incorrect termalpad
ARE NOT FIXED. Is it so hard to understand it? Its like you buy car from salon, then you see its getting weird noises on RPM over 3000, you get it to service, you got your warranty, and service is putting limiter for RPM to 2900. Simple as that.
I wont repair card for another expense while its on warranty - that just stupid. Remind you i (and propably others) have payed very much over MSRP, those companies made dollar records thanks to us, and they have problem to replace ONE ( O N E ) termopad?
I tried to replace fans as i did with other GPU's to get what i want - bigger cooling performance and more quiet witout opening card. As i stated MULTIPLE i dont want to open it, as future owner will see that and will get simple argument to get it for even lower price.
Photos (of termopad)i have showed is proving boths - shop and service are wrong.

As of right now, ASUS have not responded to my question about second RMA, i have sented them unboxing video with ending showing termopad were incorrect (and 3 photos, with circled termopad) as soon as card were back at me, before mounting it in PC. Thats a huge oversight.

Last edited:
Listen, until you remove the heatsink and actually look under it, you have absolutely no proof that the thermal pads are either missing or incorrect; full stop.

And as far as this thread goes, you have 3 choices. Leave it as is, repair it yourself, or return it. Whatever you choose, is of absolutely no consequence to anyone on this forum. :meh:

Listen, until you remove the heatsink and actually look under it, you have absolutely no proof that the thermal pads are either missing or incorrect; full stop.

And as far as this thread goes, you have 3 choices. Leave it as is, repair it yourself, or return it. Whatever you choose, is of absolutely no consequence to anyone on this forum. :meh:
No i have, and its clearly visible proof.
I cant return it - there is no possibility in PL law that would let me do this, we have 14 days from buy to return.

They're not pricy at all if you don't buy high end ones which aren't needed.
You think when i open the card, that was tortured one week, and before that was used for 8 months, only one termopad will need to be changed? What i will do, if more termopads gets damaged upon opening? I will have to replace them also its logic! So in the end i will have to replace more than one termopad, and IN THIS PARTICULAR CARD all termopads have different sizes and i'm not clairvoyant to predict which sizes i will need to buy. I found minus 8 termopads 1,5mm in my wardrobe, but that just left VRM, more may need to replace.
P_20220429_114151.jpg

EDIT - i would love to get thermal puddy tg-pp10 in poland to cover this whole GPU, but 120zł for 50G, and 470 for 500G with shipping of 150zł is way too much

Last edited:
I could cover my 3080 with 2 packs of EKWB pads, cost me 6 bucks a pack.
I want to say, 1.5 mm thick.
So 6 bucks is roughly 24 zl, right?
The putty is widely used, I guess because its thick. Not really reuseable.
Thermal putty is 12 dollars for 20g more than enough ...... so all for 80 zl.
From Amazon.
I dont live in Poland, obviouly.
Good luck with your sale.

Well, technically your card is not overheating, you just don't like the noise it makes and were probably limiting it's fanspeed before.

Now no thermal pad contact on the VRM will not cause your card to overheat, but it could cause premature failure of the VRMs

Well, technically your card is not overheating, you just don't like the noise it makes and were probably limiting it's fanspeed before.

Now no thermal pad contact on the VRM will not cause your card to overheat, but it could cause premature failure of the VRMs
As I said before, temps was lower for 6 months from buy. I check hardware every 3 months so it's easy to know when it started to produce more heat, and all seems to be termopads/thermal compound stabilizing. But increasing VRM temps can cause to memory get also more heat, as these are nearest, so memory temps during longer sessions can also be affected (heat spread over PCB).

As for longevity of VRM shop and service have this deep in... You know where, so I decided to lower price again for reselling at this long weekend (in Poland we have few more free days now) and if it won't sell, I replace termopads for 292zł using some EC360 silver termopads.
1651260529340.png

But it's definitely my nightmare card, as I'm stuck with warranty, can't sell it, can't replace fan (if it gonna start making some strange noise), can't grease fans, it's... Bad. Really wanted to get something with more VRAM as streaming / recording is taking more VRAM usage (as I did all those testing second display is not yet connected, and didn't recorded single video), FC6 with ultra textures pack need GPU with at least 11GB VRAM, and future may show more games will benefit more VRAM. Even Nvidia woke up and decided to release 12gb version of 3080.

For keeping myself little less badly I remember what was going on with Radeons... Where fans 35% was 1200rpm, and fans RPM was dependent from junction temps... 100% fan rpm was total nightmare and not sure about exac number, but it was lot of rpm :)

Summing all that, I think with each new generation cards are louder - I remember my GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio at 55% - I wasn't able to hear it. Now, check today's gaming X trio at 55% rpm.

Attachments

• 1651260492917.png
    1651260492917.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As I said before, temps was lower for 6 months from buy. I check hardware every 3 months so it's easy to know when it started to produce more heat, and all seems to be termopads/thermal compound stabilizing. But increasing VRM temps can cause to memory get also more heat, as these are nearest, so memory temps during longer sessions can also be affected (heat spread over PCB).

As for longevity of VRM shop and service have this deep in... You know where, so I decided to lower price again for reselling at this long weekend (in Poland we have few more free days now) and if it won't sell, I replace termopads for 292zł using some EC360 silver termopads.
View attachment 468806

But it's definitely my nightmare card, as I'm stuck with warranty, can't sell it, can't replace fan (if it gonna start making some strange noise), can't grease fans, it's... Bad. Really wanted to get something with more VRAM as streaming / recording is taking more VRAM usage (as I did all those testing second display is not yet connected, and didn't recorded single video), FC6 with ultra textures pack need GPU with at least 11GB VRAM, and future may show more games will benefit more VRAM. Even Nvidia woke up and decided to release 12gb version of 3080.

For keeping myself little less badly I remember what was going on with Radeons... Where fans 35% was 1200rpm, and fans RPM was dependent from junction temps... 100% fan rpm was total nightmare and not sure about exac number, but it was lot of rpm :)

Summing all that, I think with each new generation cards are louder - I remember my GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio at 55% - I wasn't able to hear it. Now, check today's gaming X trio at 55% rpm.

And as you said before, you used a custom fan curve, where the fan was running at 6x% when the core was super hot :)

And as you said before, you used a custom fan curve, where the fan was running at 6x% when the core was super hot :)
I ask you a very simple question - do i look like devastator? Do i like to damage hardware? Answer for both - NO.
When i was setting fan curve i was making one hour test (60 minute) in loops 3D mark with that curve (65%). Then day after, i was using furmark. I had 102 degree on memory, and very low, 74 on core, hotspot 97. That was the reason i stayed with that curve, that was the reason why this GPU stayed at my home. I was super happy this card is that cool.

I found some nice photos around messenger, but temps from RTX 3080 back when it was new are only text writed
However look at this :
236459749_374064684362451_2060475054714465088_n.png
^^^ i knew that was writed somewhere, i'll try to find it now. (EDIT - found it : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044879/)
RX 6800XT XFX Merc with quiet fan curve
169429879_144699857585009_2402889040018489459_n.png
^^^^ That talks for itself gents....
228818684_817503315803179_98056801261806175_n.jpg

I really miss that XFX....175348623_452457099172552_7789252235371409114_n.jpg

I ask you a very simple question - do i look like devastator? Do i like to damage hardware? Answer for both - NO.
When i was setting fan curve i was making one hour test (60 minute) in loops 3D mark with that curve (65%). Then day after, i was using furmark. I had 102 degree on memory, and very low, 74 on core, hotspot 97. That was the reason i stayed with that curve, that was the reason why this GPU stayed at my home. I was super happy this card is that cool.

I found some nice photos around messenger, but temps from RTX 3080 back when it was new are only text writed
However look at this :
View attachment 468830
^^^ i knew that was writed somewhere, i'll try to find it now. (EDIT - found it : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044879/)
RX 6800XT XFX Merc with quiet fan curve
View attachment 468828
^^^^ That talks for itself gents....
View attachment 468829

I really miss that XFX....View attachment 468833
I hate to break it to you, 74 on core and 97 on hotspot is not LOW.

After hour of loops and then furmarking (around 30 minuts) in Silverstone Alta F1?

Still not a low temp, regardless of what load it had on it. 97 hotspot is high.

On top of that 74 -> 97 is a 23 degree difference, which is big for a hotspot difference from core temp. That would point to medicore contact for the heatsink itself.

Still not a low temp, regardless of what load it had on it. 97 hotspot is high.

On top of that 74 -> 97 is a 23 degree difference, which is big for a hotspot difference from core temp. That would point to medicore contact for the heatsink itself.
Nice, so it was bad from begining?

This is why I just repaste my own cards when I thoroughly test them. I know I have better paste on hand. Plus I like to put some Ceramique 2 on the pads sometimes to enhance the thermal transfer with excellent results. I knocked off over 20c on my 3080fe with new pads combined with Ceramique 2 bonded on both sides.

I have the exact same card with the exact same issue. Asus Canada sent me a new card no questions asked. I also bought the card second hand.

Screenshot_20220502-091801541.jpg

Meanwhile in Poland - gap doesn't exist (by ASUS), they start thread from begin, "if I see something incorrect, I can send rma to shop".
WTF is wrong with this people? Who need such warranty?

I sold it. Right now I'm using XFX Speedster MERC 6800XT - cool, quiet, and much better - it gave me 100% pass on 3D Mark stress test (20 loops) - even RTX 3080 at stock settings had 98,6. I even get "Rock Solid" achievement on Steam. Closing thread, won't buy any NV anymore.

EDIT : i waited month to get proper 6800 XT - just advice to keep away from XFX CORE series (MERC 319) - 3 card in the row had terrible coil whine. Tired of writing what i have tried, so here is the video

Right now i use deshroude MSI Gaming Z Trio, which works just as expected with zero noise (Noctua S12A on heatsink) and cool (up to 67 degree max, hotspot never above 83 for gaming).
So finally my upgrade has ended successfully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back