ASUS RTX 3080 TUF 10GB LHR - unpleasant RMA experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the datasheet for the Micron memory modues that this card most likely has, the operating temperature range is supposed to be 0C to 105C. So, if it's really hitting 112, that's outside of the manufacturer's specified parameters for the board's components. You'd think Asus's RMA department would have been briefed on this, particularly since hot-running memory (now that the driver reports it) is a common complaint with 30 series cards.

I don't understand RMAing it over this, though, unless Poland has really terrible consumer protection, where the warranty really is void if you remove the heatsink and check the TIMs. Just Amazon some fresh thermal pads, install them carefully, and run an aggressive fan curve, and you should be good. Maybe also do what Legcramp said, and add some extra pads between the memory heat spreader and the actual heatsink. If silence is that important to you, you probably shouldn't have bought a card this thirsty, but you might be a good candidate for water cooling. A water jacket would definitely fix the hot-running memory.

Also, protip: You can avoid damaging the warranty sticker on most grahics cards by heating it gently with a hair dryer and then using fine tweezers to remove it. Put it somewhere safe, and then put it back when you're done, and the RMA department will probably never notice you messed with it. At least, that works with the little round ones you see on the screws. I've seen a few EVGA cards with a bigger one, and those are a lot harder.

110c is where it begins to throttle, 120c is permanent damage.

Choose wisely.
Thermal pads that are too fat can exert enough pressure on the memory to crack it.
Memory chips are only held in place, raised by solder at the edges, there is no support in the centre.
Choose your pad thickness to be the same as the pads already fitted "on your specific card model". Required pads can vary between cards.

Also, there are different density pads.
A harder pad of the same thickness can exhibit more pressure.
The same density (and thickness) or softer wont, but softer (less dense) may not cool quite as well, though it will for sure be better than no pad and wont be a lot different than the mfr fitted density.

Last edited:
I thought the spec sheet for for GDDR6X hasn’t been published. 105C is likely for normal GDDR6, although the throttle temp for 6X is around 110C so he is definitely pushing it to the limit.

His card should be running the fans at 100% at that point so something is definitely wrong with his curve.

I thought the spec sheet for for GDDR6X hasn’t been published. 105C is likely for normal GDDR6, although the throttle temp for 6X is around 110C so he is definitely pushing it to the limit.

His card should be running the fans at 100% at that point so something is definitely wrong with his curve.
Fan speed doesnt change with memory temp but the bios will throttle the card if memory is too hot.

Fan speed doesnt change with memory temp but the bios will throttle the card if memory is too hot.
Is that an Asus thing? Because with other cards it will. That’s how I knew my Gigabyte was hitting max memory temps during mining. Core was 50ish but memory was 110c and fans were maxed.

Here's the datasheet for the faster of the two models of GDDR6X memory ICs that Micron makes. As far as I know, this is what's used on all RTX 30 series cards that are so-equipped.
https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...rief.pdf?rev=161547726f0b45239d3da37ef29b09bf

Is that an Asus thing? Because with other cards it will. That’s how I knew my Gigabyte was hitting max memory temps during mining. Core was 50ish but memory was 110c and fans were maxed.
Experience trumps collecting info from forums.
It could depend on particular card models?
I was pretty sure of it but could be mistaken.

The outcome is going to either be, Asus breaks the card and blames the consumer, or consumer just opens the card up and fixes it properly. A broken card has little value, an overheating card is a defective card which still has less value. Fix it, put some good paste on it, salvage the warranty sticker and sell it off.

I forgot to add,

My card (Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 3090) has always had high fan speed (80% + without overclock) but hasnt been loud.
After some time I found my ram temps were higher than I was comfortable with, around 96C while gaming, so I fitted a large heatsink on the rear plate of the card.
This knocked at least 10C off the ram temps but it didnt change the fan speed at all.

It was this that confirmed what I had read, fan speed isnt dependent on memory speed.
But maybe it is nearer Tjmax.

I dont think in this case ASUS has any fault.
First, you say yourself, that gaming is fine, no issues.
Second, the shop and ASUS tested your card and found no issue.
Third, your fan curve is not appropiate.

I think your anger is misdirected.
If the heatsink bothers you, buy some damn pads and fix it.
You want some, give me your address and Ill mail you some. Ive got extras to spare.
Since first post i stated that RDR 2 and Cyberpunk have also making similar temps on this GPU.
I can understand, that this GPU may need some higher RPM, but FFS its loud as hair dryer! What about reviews on YT, where all those "specs" are making noise normalised tests? Hah? They made 40db tests, and card is not making that temps.

I also stated I GONNA SELL IT, NOT GONNA OPEN IT, BEACUSE IT GONNA LOOSE ITS VALUE.
According to the datasheet for the Micron memory modues that this card most likely has, the operating temperature range is supposed to be 0C to 105C. So, if it's really hitting 112, that's outside of the manufacturer's specified parameters for the board's components. You'd think Asus's RMA department would have been briefed on this, particularly since hot-running memory (now that the driver reports it) is a common complaint with 30 series cards.

I don't understand RMAing it over this, though, unless Poland has really terrible consumer protection, where the warranty really is void if you remove the heatsink and check the TIMs. Just Amazon some fresh thermal pads, install them carefully, and run an aggressive fan curve, and you should be good. Maybe also do what Legcramp said, and add some extra pads between the memory heat spreader and the actual heatsink. If silence is that important to you, you probably shouldn't have bought a card this thirsty, but you might be a good candidate for water cooling. A water jacket would definitely fix the hot-running memory.

Also, protip: You can avoid damaging the warranty sticker on most grahics cards by heating it gently with a hair dryer and then using fine tweezers to remove it. Put it somewhere safe, and then put it back when you're done, and the RMA department will probably never notice you messed with it. At least, that works with the little round ones you see on the screws. I've seen a few EVGA cards with a bigger one, and those are a lot harder.
I contacted ASUS. I can open GPU and replace thermpads, and if i wont damage anything, my warranty will still be intact. BUT THATS JUST THEORY. If some buyers will come to buy card, and he will see seals taken off/damaged he will want to decrease price, otherwise he'll go. I tested it and finally needed to sell 4 GPU's for much more lower price. They dont care what ASUS say. And in terms of ASUS - if you will send GPU with, lets say broken memory chip, or processor (not from your fault, just random failure) and they open card, see different termopads, my guess is you gonna end up with broken GPU. They will dont care is GPU failed month after you replaced termopads, or even 4 months - its damaged, and it was opened.
I bought this RTX 3080 after 3 months of research, and all called it the most quiet. Previously i had 2 RX 6800X, which you can see on my threads, i modded them to be more silent. I really dont want any LC in my PC, its louder (pomp), it will not decreasy temps on my 5800X to any state, that could define price of custom LC, and future Radeon (propably XFX Merc, as its easiest to deshroud + mounting own fans) will have Noctua fans mounted.
Also, i can remove warranty seals stickers - its easy to do with razor blade. But i really dont want to leave any sign (including any extra termopad) of my intereference to the card, as i want to sell it.

As you can see on screenshot from GPUZ, i'm not pushing memory clock in any way, its allways same clock (checked on many different models, on techpowerup and most (if not all) have the same memory clock. And as i said before, when CARD WAS NEW, ISSUE WASNT PRESENT.
ASUS have lot of different things, but specially messed up. They got fantastic hardware, top notch, but messed by bad finishes (like termopads) and software (BIOS, their programms, like GPU Tweak). This card is turning on fans, when memory temps is low (around 40-50) and core temps is low altogether, but it take more than 40-50W - which is common. This card will NOT take memory temps for fan spin speed. You got a picture.
The outcome is going to either be, Asus breaks the card and blames the consumer, or consumer just opens the card up and fixes it properly. A broken card has little value, an overheating card is a defective card which still has less value. Fix it, put some good paste on it, salvage the warranty sticker and sell it off.
I live in some wild country, when people rather to buy something that MAY or IS overheating, but is on warranty, beacuse their motto is "However it works, it just works. If it stop working, i RMA it" and 2 months before warranty they sell it. People that are more advanced here rather to open GPU by themselves as they dont trust in someone else skills.
Thats why i leave it unopened.

GPU is gonna be home tomorrow, shop got letter from RMA, they updated BIOS and card after many tests run OK. I will test it as soon as it get back, prepared RDR 2, Cyberpunk and Chernobylite.

You never know, they may have replaced the missing pad and not said anything, just whistled :)
Saving on the alternative (should they actually care).

Oh that sounds like a nightmare to deal with. My Asus tuf 3080 Ti runs cool and super quiet even under full heavy load.

Card is back - it not overheating, but termopad have no contact with heatsink (this on VRM) and coil whine become stronger - in cyberpunk its very loud.
I got 2 hours video to cut and cenzor my personal data, with unboxing and thermal testing. Its gonna be released to ASUS and here if you want, mesh side panel is making difference a lot during longer session - thats what i can tell you now. Today standards of cases, ATX motherboards are totally wrong and need to adapt to new, more power hungry and warmer hardware. Details will be in video, right now need to made one shorter video from it.

I'll try to make that video for tomorrow, its large, so it can upload forever for me, but will do.
For meat lovers some readings

WITH TEMPERED GLASS;
- Furmark (~5 minutes) : core boost 1785Mhz, core temp 66, hotspot 78, memory 92, fan speed 80 %
- Cyberpunk : 1920Mhz, 62/73/74, fan speed 69 %
- RDR 2 : 1965Mhz, 62/73/74, fan speed 69%

WITH MESH PANEL;
- Furmark : 1785Mhz, 65/77/92, fan speed 77%
- Cyberpunk : 1935Mhz, 62/73/72, fan speed 69%
- RDR 2: 1965Mhz, 62/73/72, fan speed 69%
Now, take note, that all was short load resoults. SHORT. Its nowhere to 2-4 hour gameplay. Fan noise, above 70% is loud as hair dryer of my wife (not kidding), sitting 1M from it with 3 hours is just pain. Next is coil whine, which was totally inaudiable before, now its crazy loud on Cuberpunk, audiable with RDR 2, and together with fan noise i give it 3/10 for loduness - not like all reviews on internet, where it was meant to be most quiet. ITS LOUD and using stock settings is not even close to normal daily use.

I'll try to make that video for tomorrow, its large, so it can upload forever for me, but will do.
For meat lovers some readings

WITH TEMPERED GLASS;
- Furmark (~5 minutes) : core boost 1785Mhz, core temp 66, hotspot 78, memory 92, fan speed 80 %
- Cyberpunk : 1920Mhz, 62/73/74, fan speed 69 %
- RDR 2 : 1965Mhz, 62/73/74, fan speed 69%

WITH MESH PANEL;
- Furmark : 1785Mhz, 65/77/92, fan speed 77%
- Cyberpunk : 1935Mhz, 62/73/72, fan speed 69%
- RDR 2: 1965Mhz, 62/73/72, fan speed 69%
Now, take note, that all was short load resoults. SHORT. Its nowhere to 2-4 hour gameplay. Fan noise, above 70% is loud as hair dryer of my wife (not kidding), sitting 1M from it with 3 hours is just pain. Next is coil whine, which was totally inaudiable before, now its crazy loud on Cuberpunk, audiable with RDR 2, and together with fan noise i give it 3/10 for loduness - not like all reviews on internet, where it was meant to be most quiet. ITS LOUD and using stock settings is not even close to normal daily use.
You must be sensitive to the fan noise, the TUF cards are fairly quiet even at higher fan speeds :)

What is the ambient temp in the room?

You must be sensitive to the fan noise, the TUF cards are fairly quiet even at higher fan speeds :)

What is the ambient temp in the room?
Its under 20 degree C.
Its nowhere to be quiet, NOT EVEN CLOSE. above 70 % its exacly same loud as hair dryer.

So this is not mine card, but at least second on the world, that makes same sound. No, its not quiet.

Here is mine. As i dont have noise meter and poor mic you can just see numbers of RPM. Now, imagine how loud is that.

Thats exacly why i dont trust reviews now. I tell you what i got, other guy show you this on video, and you are showing just numbers.

I mean it's quiet relative to OTHER 3080s and other video cards. Is it possible that your expectations are just not realistic? I've had 3 Asus TUF 3080s go through my hands, and none of them were close to as loud as a hair dryer at 70% fan.

I mean it's quiet relative to OTHER 3080s and other video cards. Is it possible that your expectations are just not realistic? I've had 3 Asus TUF 3080s go through my hands, and none of them were close to as loud as a hair dryer at 70% fan.
I had GTX 1080 TI Gaming X trio, which was very quiet and cold on 55%, then 6800XT Red Devil which was loud on every available fan speed, then XFX MERC 6800XT which was not aduiable with Noctua fans and even didnt reached 70 degree on core. Thats the point i want to get back and sell this RTX and get XFX Merc 6800 XT instead. Everyone is sensitive to different tones, i can very clearly hear difference in many GPU's fans + heatsink (air duct) noise, and 31db not equal 31db for 2 same loduness GPU's - tone of noise is also matter. I checked hair dryer back in days and it was 36db - so on 77% fan speed, that TUF is even louder.

BTW look at this :
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6800-xt-gaming-x-trio/33.html
Specially look for 6800XT RED DEVIL.... see it?
Now listen to this in real

I can 100% confirm that card sounds like this on video.

Here is mine 3080.

Last edited:
I had GTX 1080 TI Gaming X trio, which was very quiet and cold on 55%, then 6800XT Red Devil which was loud on every available fan speed, then XFX MERC 6800XT which was not aduiable with Noctua fans and even didnt reached 70 degree on core. Thats the point i want to get back and sell this RTX and get XFX Merc 6800 XT instead. Everyone is sensitive to different tones, i can very clearly hear difference in many GPU's fans + heatsink (air duct) noise, and 31db not equal 31db for 2 same loduness GPU's - tone of noise is also matter. I checked hair dryer back in days and it was 36db - so on 77% fan speed, that TUF is even louder.

BTW look at this :

Not sure what hair dryer you're using, but even modern quiet hair dryers are 60+ decibels. It's fine to not like the tone / pitch whatever sound profile. But it's another to say this card is loud, when it is not.

Not sure what hair dryer you're using, but even modern quiet hair dryers are 60+ decibels. It's fine to not like the tone / pitch whatever sound profile. But it's another to say this card is loud, when it is not.

It is loud, you can even hear it on video. WHat im definetly sure, is my mic on Mi A2 Lite is not good enough.

BTW look at this :

Here is mine 3080.

I don't hear anything offensive in either video. Your mouse clicks are way louder than any fan or coil noise that I can hear.

I'm not sure what to tell you about this. It seems to me that the problem has more to do with your expectations than it does with there being anything wrong with the card. If you really can't handle even this level of fan noise, then you should probably consider either not overclocking the cards (diminishing returns in terms of heat and power versus performance) or water cooling, or both.

Water cooling would also probably fix the memory cooling issue, incidentally.

Have you tried underclocking the core and vram around 5-10% to see if it makes a meaningful difference or not in regards to the load temps?

If you're going to sell it anyway, then just sell it since it'll be the next owner's potential concern. You have proof from ASUS that they tested it and found no fault: use that to your advantage as a selling point.

I still think you have displaced your anger.
Again, ASUS tested your card and it's fine.
You posted results after they looked at it and all the temperatures are fine, in fact lower.
The thermal pads look fine.
I hear nothing on the video you made. Even with a cell phone, if my wife had her blowdryer running I could hear it down the hall.
35 dB is about what a normal case fan makes under usual conditions. I didn't hear anything not even background.

Take a read here......your card is right in line with that review. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_3080_tuf_gaming_review,9.html

What you have is nothing compared to the old AMD blowers or the GTX 480 or 580...........if you wanted heat and noise those were the winners.
Just sell the card and move on from this.

For once I have to side with ASUS............your card is fine. My EVGA 3080 FTW can run 75-80% fan all day and I can't even hear it over the case fans.

Last edited:
Speaking about fan noise.
I've seen only one review of my current card that mentions fan noise, pointing out it is very loud.
Yet my exact same, early version of the card, is one of the quietest I have owned.
My R9 290 and 1080ti FE both had pretty loud fans such that I replaced the coolers with Arctic Cooling Xtreme IV and III.

My current card (Aorus Xtreme 3090) is open air, not inside a case, and I'm more than happy with how loud it is.
My point being, reviews do not always get the same experience as the user. Definitely not in my case.

Have you tried underclocking the core and vram around 5-10% to see if it makes a meaningful difference or not in regards to the load temps?

If you're going to sell it anyway, then just sell it since it'll be the next owner's potential concern. You have proof from ASUS that they tested it and found no fault: use that to your advantage as a selling point.
Off course, i got ready profile, where card can be also passive in Cyberpunk (serious). Thats the profile i use till it get sold.
I still think you have displaced your anger.
Again, ASUS tested your card and it's fine.
You posted results after they looked at it and all the temperatures are fine, in fact lower.
The thermal pads look fine.
I hear nothing on the video you made. Even with a cell phone, if my wife had her blowdryer running I could hear it down the hall.
35 dB is about what a normal case fan makes under usual conditions. I didn't hear anything not even background.

Take a read here......your card is right in line with that review. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_3080_tuf_gaming_review,9.html

What you have is nothing compared to the old AMD blowers or the GTX 480 or 580...........if you wanted heat and noise those were the winners.
Just sell the card and move on from this.

For once I have to side with ASUS............your card is fine. My EVGA 3080 FTW can run 75-80% fan all day and I can't even hear it over the case fans.
No, termopad on VRM isnt ok, there is gap, which i showed on video, right on begining.
1.png

As for taking any side take my words - card wasnt that hot when it was new, it was cooler and quieter.
That all conclude to one thing - this card is getting old pretty fast. VRM termopad issue will become more and more problematic over time, heat from VRM have no way to go, so it will spread over PCB to closest components LIKE VRAM.
Fans are little bit louder than before as card was runing on tests with (i guess) full RPM range for very long time and grease inside fans may be shabby.

I really hope to get fast sell, as propable anyone will be happy with that, as i'm very different person, just beacuse this 31db is just loud form me.

Off course, i got ready profile, where card can be also passive in Cyberpunk (serious). Thats the profile i use till it get sold.

No, termopad on VRM isnt ok, there is gap, which i showed on video, right on begining.
View attachment 467686
As for taking any side take my words - card wasnt that hot when it was new, it was cooler and quieter.
That all conclude to one thing - this card is getting old pretty fast. VRM termopad issue will become more and more problematic over time, heat from VRM have no way to go, so it will spread over PCB to closest components LIKE VRAM.
Fans are little bit louder than before as card was runing on tests with (i guess) full RPM range for very long time and grease inside fans may be shabby.

I really hope to get fast sell, as propable anyone will be happy with that, as i'm very different person, just beacuse this 31db is just loud form me.

Can you circle where you see the problem?

I dont see any issue either.
Also, the card isnt running when you take the photo. As it operates and heats up any expansion in the pcb would increase contact at that point.

I dont see any issue either.
Also, the card isnt running when you take the photo. As it operates and heats up any expansion in the pcb would increase contact at that point.
Folks, sorry, but are you blind?
P_20220427_131322.jpg
P_20220427_131225.jpg
P_20220427_131156.jpg

I tried to put noctua fans, I got adapter to PWM fans for this card, but fans won't spin at all. It's S12A 120mm from Noctua. I used these on both Radeons 6800XT. Tried also add some grease to original fans, but these don't have any gap to put grease :(
P_20220427_145429.jpg

P_20220427_143553.jpg

P_20220427_143518.jpg

Looks like only way to deal with it is to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back