ASUS RT-N66W Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router $99

Happy00000

Limp Gawd
Amazon has the ASUS RT-N66W Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router for $109.99 - $10 rebate = $99.99.

Linky.

Great router, great price.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In case anyone is confused this is simply the white version of the RT-N66U... making this the cheapest ever for arguably one of the best consumer N routers on the market.

Thanks OP. You just saved me 45 bucks. Just cancelled my order for the rt n66u @143 and ordered this one. Where is the mail in rebate info. I don't see it on the link.

In case anyone is confused this is simply the white version of the RT-N66U... making this the cheapest ever for arguably one of the best consumer N routers on the market.

Is there a way to be able to tell what router models are the same one as rt-xxxx thats white/USB3.0/etc? Like a chart or something? :p

Does this have wired QoS and other settings like my old Linksys WRT54GL does?
Is there anything it doesn't have that the WRT54GL does?

I was hoping there would be some good deals for upgrading the router and think this might be what I am looking for.

Meanwhile, the ASUS RT-N10P is at Newegg for $10 after rebate, and $20 on Amazon if you don't like Newegg.

The RT-N66W is obviously better and targeted at a different consumer than the RT-N10P, but what's the difference? A relative needs a new wireless router so I need to decide now.

The RT-N10P is a 150mbps single antenna router and the RT-N66W is a 900mbps three antenna gigabit router. The RT-N10P would likely be great for anyone who only needs wireless on a single floor and who isn't using a lot of bandwidth (mostly web surfing). The RT-N66W is targeting people who need faster speeds and more range.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I totally missed the RT-N10P doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports. In thread after thread, here and in places like smallnetbuilder, I kept finding that the RT-N66 is the "no problems" router. In one thread specifically about streaming Netflix to a PS3, which is one thing my relative wants to do, a user commented that other routers had problems doing that but this one didn't, so I bought it.

I will probably use Tomato on it unless there's something better.

The RT-N10P is a pretty solid budget choice imo. the the RT-X66U series is pretty good overall.

I totally missed the RT-N10P doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports. In thread after thread, here and in places like smallnetbuilder, I kept finding that the RT-N66 is the "no problems" router. In one thread specifically about streaming Netflix to a PS3, which is one thing my relative wants to do, a user commented that other routers had problems doing that but this one didn't, so I bought it.

I will probably use Tomato on it unless there's something better.

If you have to use a third party firmware use Merlin's for this router, the stock firmware on this is actually pretty good at this point though. I bought two last summer and haven't felt the need to put anything else on them.

To the person that asked about QOS: The QOS functions on the N66 is about as good as it gets on a consumer router but keep in mind that enabling it will severely limit the bandwidth available.

I have the U model and it's been running strong since it was released almost 2 years ago.

Only had to reboot it once and running Merlin's Firmware build on it. Extremely capable router.

If you miss this, not the worst thing. If you're in need of 900mbit on wireless then the AC routers might be worth it to wait to upgrade to an AC. Great router though from my research, often recommended and good dd-wrt support.

If you need a cheap but fast new router, N based, but not the very fastest AC stuff, or the very fastest N, the TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router (N750 or 750mbit ) is a good alternative that you should consider. I have it, it works great, and was recently on sale for like $50ish or less (can't recall honestly) with mail in rebate over the last few months. Cheaper right now on amazon than this deal. Runs DD-WRT very reliably, although I tend to go to the forums and read up on the very latest versions and any issues/recommendations there rather than what dd-wrt's router database recommends as those are fairly old. Its altheros based not broadcom based, on the processor; which makes it slightly more complicated to do some stuff: VLANS with dd-wrt isn't possible (dd-wrt doesn't have support on its altheros base from what I saw but openwrt supports it) and also for Optware its a bit of a pain. But both of those features are capable on this router you'll just need to do a bit more research before diving in (I think kingkong's builds might be the best way to go for optware on altheros). If you don't care about that stuff, I think this its a good alternative for sure. Asus makes great hardware though. Still have an Asus RT-N16 at my parent's place working great (on dd-wrt again). Their router firmware out of the box is more than enough for most with Asus. Can't speak for TP-Link but from what I recall seemed feature rich.

Anyway point being, do some research before hopping on every hot deal posted here. Good deal if you've wanted this specific router and don't want to go AC for some reason. But if you can wait, look for a well reviewed AC router. Its not that much more expensive and you're future proofing yourself.

Last edited:

I guess they call this one the "White Knight" :)

Does this have wired QoS and other settings like my old Linksys WRT54GL does?
Is there anything it doesn't have that the WRT54GL does?

I was hoping there would be some good deals for upgrading the router and think this might be what I am looking for.

The wrt54's are so not comparable to the Asus RT-66 routers. It's Yugo vs. CTS-V.

Back