ASUS RT-N66U - No WAN For First 5 - 7 Minutes

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I live in the UK. I use an OpenReach modem with an ASUS RT-N66U router for my fibre optic 80/20 broadband. My ISP (Plusnet) provides internet through PPPoE in which I have to enter in a username and password to access the internet. I use a static IP address which I paid for. A number of devices share this connection, including 2 PCs, and 2 smartphones. I am happy with my ASUS RT-N66U router’s performance; however, there is one problem that I would like to get sorted. If I get a power cut, or if I power off and on the router (or modem), I have to wait much longer than I would like for the router to find a WAN connection.

As a test, I powered the router off, then back on again, visited my router page of http://192.168.1.1 and sat watching the Internet Status section of the Network Map. With a stopwatch going in the background, I would time how long it takes for the ‘Internet Status’ to change from disconnected to connected. I did this 4 times (with one time also rebooting the modem as well). I discovered that I am waiting between 5 – 7 minutes for a WAN connection to be established.

This is an expensive router and I don’t find this acceptable. I have a number of cheaper routers here, and when there is loss of power from the router, modem (or both), I only have to wait 2 minutes maximum to have a WAN connection established. Why is the RT-N66U so slow? Does this have something to do with my static IP? Currently it's set to PPPoE on the router page, which is how I always set it up.

Thanks

i know with my n66u it takes a good minute alone for the reboot to happen and me to get internet, it is by no means fast to boot.

As for the other 5-6 minutes though, once you have the router booted and your in the admin page, i assume if you open a browser on your computer it wont load?

how fast is it if you go direct from the PC to the modem, reboot the modem and how long to get a connection then?

If you have a DOCSIS cable modem, you may need to bleed off the MAC address from your previous router. DOCSIS Cable Modems have a long (and sometimes clingy) retention rate of the attached device.

1. Shut down the Router.
2. Reset the Cable Modem, then unplug it.
3. Let it sit without power for at least 10 minutes.
4. Plug back in the Modem power and allow it to fully initialize.
5. Plug back in the router power.

If this is DSL, make sure the PPPOE entries are correct, as well as performing the above steps.

EDIT: I see you have FO as your connection. I'm not familiar with that but my info above may still apply.

I live in the UK. I use an OpenReach modem with an ASUS RT-N66U router for my fibre optic 80/20 broadband. My ISP (Plusnet) provides internet through PPPoE in which I have to enter in a username and password to access the internet. I use a static IP address which I paid for. A number of devices share this connection, including 2 PCs, and 2 smartphones. I am happy with my ASUS RT-N66U router’s performance; however, there is one problem that I would like to get sorted. If I get a power cut, or if I power off and on the router (or modem), I have to wait much longer than I would like for the router to find a WAN connection.

As a test, I powered the router off, then back on again, visited my router page of http://192.168.1.1 and sat watching the Internet Status section of the Network Map. With a stopwatch going in the background, I would time how long it takes for the ‘Internet Status’ to change from disconnected to connected. I did this 4 times (with one time also rebooting the modem as well). I discovered that I am waiting between 5 – 7 minutes for a WAN connection to be established.

This is an expensive router and I don’t find this acceptable. I have a number of cheaper routers here, and when there is loss of power from the router, modem (or both), I only have to wait 2 minutes maximum to have a WAN connection established. Why is the RT-N66U so slow? Does this have something to do with my static IP? Currently it's set to PPPoE on the router page, which is how I always set it up.

Thanks

i know with my n66u it takes a good minute alone for the reboot to happen and me to get internet, it is by no means fast to boot.

As for the other 5-6 minutes though, once you have the router booted and your in the admin page, i assume if you open a browser on your computer it wont load?

how fast is it if you go direct from the PC to the modem, reboot the modem and how long to get a connection then?

That's correct, once the router has booted and I can access the admin page, the status of the WAN shows as disconnected, and I cannot get a webpage to load. However, if I give it 5-7 minutes, it will eventually provide me with a WAN connection.

If you have a DOCSIS cable modem, you may need to bleed off the MAC address from your previous router. DOCSIS Cable Modems have a long (and sometimes clingy) retention rate of the attached device.

1. Shut down the Router.
2. Reset the Cable Modem, then unplug it.
3. Let it sit without power for at least 10 minutes.
4. Plug back in the Modem power and allow it to fully initialize.
5. Plug back in the router power.

If this is DSL, make sure the PPPOE entries are correct, as well as performing the above steps.

EDIT: I see you have FO as your connection. I'm not familiar with that but my info above may still apply.

I'm not sure what a DOCSIS modem is but I can give you the names of the two modems I have here. ECI Telecom B-FOCuS V-2FUb (Rev B) and a Huawei HG612. The Huawei is the one I am using now and was purchased 2nd hand from eBay. The ECI Telecom was what I originally used before I purchased this N66U.

I have already reset the modem and router a number of times, however, I will do what you suggested and may even plug in my other modem just as something to try.

TechLarry, I followed your 5 step instructions exactly, and even switched the modem I used to the ECI Telecom B-FOCuS V-2FUb. I am 90% sure this ECI Telecom modem has not been used with the ASUS router before, and even if it did, I have reset it (confirmed by the light going from green to red, then back to green again). The first time I did it, I had internet within 2 minutes, however, the 2nd and 3rd time I powered off the modem and router, I had to wait 6 - 7 minutes again for a WAN connection.

Here is a screenshot of my WAN router page:

wanpage.jpg

I suspect this is a PPPOE thing, but since I've never had to use that I'm afraid I'm going to have to hand-off to someone that has :(

TechLarry, why are you posting in my thread about an unrelated thing? I made this thread to get help with my no WAN connection and you're posting about another issue. Please make your own thread if you have a problem.

TechLarry, why are you posting in my thread about an unrelated thing? I made this thread to get help with my no WAN connection and you're posting about another issue. Please make your own thread if you have a problem.

he does have his own thread, I'm guessing he posted in the wrong one :p

I don't have an N66U so I may be of no help but, is there anywhere to change the PPPoE connection type between Connect on Demand or Keep Alive?
Every router I've seen has that on the same page as the other PPPoE settings, and I don't see it there, so I'm guessing no; but figured I'd ask.

I have a similar named thread and just caught the wrong one. No need to get excited. Sorry :)

he does have his own thread, I'm guessing he posted in the wrong one :p

I don't have an N66U so I may be of no help but, is there anywhere to change the PPPoE connection type between Connect on Demand or Keep Alive?
Every router I've seen has that on the same page as the other PPPoE settings, and I don't see it there, so I'm guessing no; but figured I'd ask.

I see no option to keep connection alive :(

@TechLarry, no problem :)

7 mins is quite long. But get a ups and no more power outages. Did you update your firmware?

7 mins is quite long. But get a ups and no more power outages. Did you update your firmware?

I shouldn't have to spend more money and it doesn't really solve the problem. If there is a problem at the ISP, again, I have to wait an additional 7 minutes. Yes, I have the latest firmware. I also reset the NVRAM.

There might be an issue with the Asus router... maybe RMA?

As far as 7 mins to regain a connection, well I owned an N66u once. it literally took 5-6 mins just to boot the operating system on that router.

I am betting that you are just waiting on the actual router to boot.

Routers are not meant to be powered on and off all the time due to power outages, nor is any piece of gear. Sure you shouldnt have to spend more money on your equipment but I would be real uncomfortable to run any expensive piece of communications equipment on the wall directly.

Its your money, hardware, and all that stuff. Its all good. I would still get a UPS. Probably one of the most overlooked and most important pieces of hardware you can purchase. You can get a cheapy APC little 550va for like $39.00 online. That is all you would need.

There might be an issue with the Asus router... maybe RMA?

As far as 7 mins to regain a connection, well I owned an N66u once. it literally took 5-6 mins just to boot the operating system on that router.

I am betting that you are just waiting on the actual router to boot.

Routers are not meant to be powered on and off all the time due to power outages, nor is any piece of gear. Sure you shouldnt have to spend more money on your equipment but I would be real uncomfortable to run any expensive piece of communications equipment on the wall directly.

Its your money, hardware, and all that stuff. Its all good. I would still get a UPS. Probably one of the most overlooked and most important pieces of hardware you can purchase. You can get a cheapy APC little 550va for like $39.00 online. That is all you would need.

A UPS doesn't solve my problem. If the router is taking 7 minutes to boot, how come I can access the router page? and the wireless signal is broadcast about 2 minutes from power on?

Get a diff router then. We cant help if the issue is ISP.

Did this guy not help you with his answer? His answer sounds like a pretty good one so far based on the fact that you have pppoe and there may be a timeout value imposed by the ISP. If this router doesnt work why not get another? There is a gadzillion kinds to choose from. A MikroTik might be a good choice? lastly have you opened a ticket with the ISP to rule out any special circumstances or configurations they may be willing to make for you? It sounds like you have a pretty awesome connection and would demand a higher level of service available to it?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...)&id=20121023200911017&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited:
Get a diff router then. We cant help if the issue is ISP.

Did this guy not help you with his answer? His answer sounds like a pretty good one so far based on the fact that you have pppoe and there may be a timeout value imposed by the ISP. If this router doesnt work why not get another? There is a gadzillion kinds to choose from. A MikroTik might be a good choice? lastly have you opened a ticket with the ISP to rule out any special circumstances or configurations they may be willing to make for you? It sounds like you have a pretty awesome connection and would demand a higher level of service available to it?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...)&id=20121023200911017&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I didn't know I had a reply on the ASUS forum, I shall read. As I said, I have tried another router and it doesn't have this problem. I specifically payed over £100 3 weeks ago for this router because of it's strong wireless signal.

Contacting my ISP is not something I considered because the Technicolour router I have connects to WAN within 2 minutes. If it was an ISP issue, wouldn't the Technicolour also take ages to connect?

I didn't know I had a reply on the ASUS forum, I shall read. As I said, I have tried another router and it doesn't have this problem. I specifically payed over £100 3 weeks ago for this router because of it's strong wireless signal.

Contacting my ISP is not something I considered because the Technicolour router I have connects to WAN within 2 minutes. If it was an ISP issue, wouldn't the Technicolour also take ages to connect?

No not necessarily. I was having constant disconnects from my ISP because of one little itty bitty setting that needed to be changed in the cable modem. I am running full Cisco Enterprise hardware. Apparently changing the cable setting from "cable" whatever that means to "CPE" customer premise equipment ceased all my disconnections.

Before I had Cisco in place I would never get disconnected. I would just have them check everything on their end including a signal test etc.... make sure that all layer 1 items are out of the way before moving on to layer 2 and 3.

Additionally you are very right indeed that the Asus is one powerful little wireless signal cannon. Why not use your old router and place the Asus behind it as a Wireless Access Point instead? I know that might not work for you but if it is acceptable in your topography I would consider it.

No not necessarily. I was having constant disconnects from my ISP because of one little itty bitty setting that needed to be changed in the cable modem. I am running full Cisco Enterprise hardware. Apparently changing the cable setting from "cable" whatever that means to "CPE" customer premise equipment ceased all my disconnections.

Before I had Cisco in place I would never get disconnected. I would just have them check everything on their end including a signal test etc.... make sure that all layer 1 items are out of the way before moving on to layer 2 and 3.

Additionally you are very right indeed that the Asus is one powerful little wireless signal cannon. Why not use your old router and place the Asus behind it as a Wireless Access Point instead? I know that might not work for you but if it is acceptable in your topography I would consider it.

Do you know how I can access my modem settings?

I don't know how to set it as a wireless access point and that would require having 3 devices visible in my home instead of just 2. I would rather get to the bottom of this. If I were to contact my ISP, they wouldn't help me, because they only provide support for the router they provided (Technicolour)

try this for giggles.
do a constant ping to, say, google.com
reboot the router.
see if it still takes 5-7 minutes to connect.

if it does not, then there is the possibility it's doing connect on demand rather than keep-alive; although connect on demand will usually disconnect after X minutes idle time.

Just a thought to test out that theory.

j-sta perhaps this would help. I took my N66U to my mothers home (who uses Virgin Media 10mb Cable). This doesn't require a PPPoE connection, and the router set itself up as "Automatic IP" and I was able to connect and have a WAN connection to the Virgin Media modem in about a minute. I tested this by powering off/on the N66U router 5 times via ethernet cable and twice via wireless. Within about a minute, I was able to have a WAN connection established everytime.

I return to my Fibre Optic PPPoE connection at home and I have to wait between 5 - 7 minutes for a WAN connection to be established. I've powered off and on the router several times today and I have no option but to wait. I've saved the log file and it looks useful. I'm not so knowledgeable with modem/routers but it appear what RMerlin (ASUS forum meber) was saying was correct in his original post. I will paste the link to the log below. I saved another log which I will also paste below but this is running the newer 3.0.0.4.246 firmware.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2668400098/Log%201(3.0.0.4.220%20Firmware).txt

https://rapidshare.com/files/1210942288/Log 2 (3.0.0.4.246 Firmware).txt

Does the log show enough information to fix this problem? or is this an ISP issue?

Back