Asus RT-N66

SomeFknGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok... The 5ghz channel on my 66 is dying...completely... I can be 10 feet from it in the same room and the signal 'quality' is in the single digits even though the signal strength is excellent. From what I've read, it's a common thing with these routers unfortunately. I have two of them set up as a bridge link between my media/computer room and where the cable modem comes in and I need to replace the one that's dead.

My question, since I haven't much kept up with routers in the last little bit, is what should I replace it with? I loved this router because it supported tomato but the replacement doesn't "have" to support it so long as it has sufficient control and isn't too dumbed down. Any suggestions?

The best advice I can give you is to put a cheap USB powered netbook cooler underneath the replacement to keep the internals cool. The fan bearings wear out about every two years, so check on it once in a while. I also find smallnetbuilder.com helpful.

I have this router (using it as an AP) and its great (range/speed),but it acts up pretty often and almost all issues are fixed by flashing most current firmware, or reflashing if on current firmware. I prefer the merlin asuswrt firmware. Also, settings are usually carried over with firmware flash.

I have this router (using it as an AP) and its great (range/speed),but it acts up pretty often and almost all issues are fixed by flashing most current firmware, or reflashing if on current firmware. I prefer the merlin asuswrt firmware. Also, settings are usually carried over with firmware flash.

Never really liked Merlin...it was alright but i much prefer Tomato for what I do...guess it's just because i've been running a variant of tomato on one router or another practically forever...

Back