vibe

[H]ard|Gawd
yes it is refurbuished but $20ar for this is insane

ASUS RT-N65R Dual-Band Wireless-N750 Gigabit Router

it is probably clearance for AC routers, we win

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320156

shoprunner 2-day also

buy now, think later, will go oos fast

dual 2.4/5ghz bands, dual cpu, gigabit, usb 3.0, etc. etc.

just does not have AC

Last edited:
What devices do take advantages of AC?

Any device that has an AC card.

Newish high end laptops and cellphone for example. However, most of these do not support triple and quadruple band AC, so you'll only get that advantage if you are using two capable AC routers with one as a bridge.

i.e. for me, my iphone 6/6+ and MSI GS60 both support dual band AC.

very new, expensive devices

of course in a few years many more devices will come with the default chipset for AC but few do now

heck I don't even have 5ghz devices, will turn off that radio

apparently the usb 3.0 on these unit causes interference with 2.4ghz band, but using usb 2.0 devices does not

or maybe they fixed that in the refurbished model but I doubt it

hopefully there is an external antenna mod somewhere

this router sold for $175 in 2013

it is $88 on amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/RT-N65U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008OUKZZI

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Many new motherboards and laptops and NUCs and the like.

For older devices, I purchased a USB wireless-AC receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wireless...id=1417532871&sr=8-6&keywords=USB+wireless+AC

Or the Edimax:
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-782...id=1417532871&sr=8-5&keywords=USB+wireless+AC

Both about $30.

Here's one of my systems on the opposite side of the house, 5Ghz:
15617199309_c0e8ab0af0.jpg

Love me some wireless-AC, was the best network upgrade I've done, aside from wiring the house in CAT6.

of course in a few years many more devices will come with the default chipset for AC but few do now

apparently the usb 3.0 on these unit causes interference with 2.4ghz band, but using usb 2.0 devices does not

or maybe they fixed that in the refurbished model but I doubt it

hopefully there is an external antenna mod somewhere

this router sold for $175 in 2013

it is $88 on amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/RT-N65U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008OUKZZI

Im not sure what else is different 2.4ghz wise, but my RT-N56U had really poor 2.4ghz range.

Many new motherboards and laptops and NUCs and the like.

For older devices, I purchased a USB wireless-AC receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wireless...id=1417532871&sr=8-6&keywords=USB+wireless+AC

Or the Edimax:
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-782...id=1417532871&sr=8-5&keywords=USB+wireless+AC

Both about $30.

Here's one of my systems on the opposite side of the house, 5Ghz:
15617199309_c0e8ab0af0.jpg

Love me some wireless-AC, was the best network upgrade I've done, aside from wiring the house in CAT6.

Love your network name :D:D:D

Im not sure what else is different 2.4ghz wise, but my RT-N56U had really poor 2.4ghz range.

I have the N56U, my range is fine on 2.4. N band suffers due to all the plaster it's trying to go through, but the 2.4 is great. I guess I don't really have anything at the moment that would take advantage of having an AC router. Everything on the farthest points in the house are wired, no laptops outside the router's room.

Any device that has an AC card.
Newish high end laptops and cellphone for example.
My $200 Chromebook was pulling 120Mbps downstream from my new 802.11ac router yesterday while in the same room. It was pulling 90Mbps across the house. (My internet connection is advertised as 105Mbps) It's not just expensive devices. Plus, if you get an AC router you're substantially future proofing your infrastructure setup. Although it's probably too early to need to upgrade if you have a working g/n router, It's a mistake to buy a new router today without AC, imo.

Also if you live in an urban area, 5GHz will probably have much less interference than 2.4GHz, so you'll have substantially improved signal quality.

Also if you live in an urban area, 5GHz will probably have much less interference than 2.4GHz, so you'll have substantially improved signal quality.
What pissed me off about 2.4ghz is I stream television to my tiny HTPC there, and whenever someone would cook something in the microwave, the TV quality would go to crap. Too much interference.

I don't think any of my neighbors are 5G yet either, which I bet helps. :)

It's a mistake to buy a new router today without AC, imo.

this time next year AC routers will cost half of what they do now

so instead of spending $60-$200, they will cost $30-$100

plus this router already has 5ghz with a dedicated cpu core for that and can do 150mbps over N

AC is just 80mhz wide channels instead of N 40mhz wide

AC 5ghz with 8x80mhz channels kinda makes me worry we are microwaving ourselves with our routers

Surprisingly still in stock. I guess it is not for everyone.

Forgot to put "router" and the price in the thread title, oh well.

btw this is the firmware you want to replace it with https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

can make it do some really neat tricks

it is a shame tomato doesn't want to support the ralink chips

Grabbed one to play around with as a repeater for my N56U. We'll see how it goes, if it works I'll swap them around.

I believe these are what we typically deploy to clients here at work. Great little router, rock solid and easy to configure.

I'd be tempted to get this if I didn't get a Netgear AC1900 for $90 from WalMart already.

Is this worth getting over my stock Verizon FIOS router? It's the Wireless G version.

Wow... Just got an AC router & when I start counting around my house currently I have 9 devs that are using the 5Ghz.. 3x Amazon Fire TV Sticks 2 tablets, 2 Phones, 2 Laptops.. Probably some of the other random stuff I have is capable as well, but I am not going to go digging just to find out (nothing else am I worried about the bandwidth).

And even the step from N to AC is huge.. My Laptop (intel 7260ac) was maxing out when transferring to my server at 18-20 MB/s with my N router.. When I popped my AC router in that jumped to about 60 MB/s. Same laptop hard wired transferring the same file was about 80 MB/s. So while not as fast as gigabit ethernet, its pretty damn fast for not having a wire connected.. Oh And I am just running the TP-Link Archer C7 router that I just snagged for 60 bucks (I think it was refurb'd) so you definitely don't need a 150 dollar router to take advantage of AC.

And even the step from N to AC is huge.. My Laptop (intel 7260ac) was maxing out when transferring to my server at 18-20 MB/s with my N router.. When I popped my AC router in that jumped to about 60 MB/s.

The doubling is expected, N uses 40mhz wide channels, AC uses 80mhz

AC routers are nice if you have AC devices, none of mine are and might be years before it matters to me. I don't even have 5ghz devices.

But not all N routers are the same, you have 150 vs 300

im getting faster download speeds and higher latency with my old tp link 4300 on wired lan. I am using the stock firmware the asus came with. Is the padavan any better in terms of speed?

Padavan does a few more tricks.

Not sure if you can turn off the leds and such with stock, but now I was able to turn off the stupid port lights.

I've been using the RT-n56r for a few days now and I am very impressed with it for $20

I don't think you can run padavan on that tp link? Is it an ralink cpu?

If you can run shibby tomato, that is probably the fastest firmware

AC 5ghz with 8x80mhz channels kinda makes me worry we are microwaving ourselves with our routers

WiFi radiation is non-ionizing, so it won't damage your DNA/cells... The worst it would do is burn you, but consumer gear doesn't have that kind of power (unlike some amateur radio equipment which can burn if you grab the antenna). Plus the radiation intensity is inversely proportional to distance squared, so the danger drops off fast even for the powerful stuff.

Just so you can sleep easier at night :)

What pissed me off about 2.4ghz is I stream television to my tiny HTPC there, and whenever someone would cook something in the microwave, the TV quality would go to crap. Too much interference.

I don't think any of my neighbors are 5G yet either, which I bet helps. :)

Bro, that may be your microwave. Normally microwave should no interfere with the wifi network. But, thruought the time, they start to go bad and interfere with everything. I work for biggest cellular company in US. I have seen a bad microwave caused cellular service to go down in the whole town.

I'd be tempted to get this if I didn't get a Netgear AC1900 for $90 from WalMart already.

Get one and use it as AP. THere is an customer padavan's software for this unit. 3 min to update the software and works like charm. I just bought one. 801.11n lappy gets 150Mbps on 2.4 and 801.11ac phone gets 150Mbps on 5ghz band. I just order the day after I ordered Linksys ea6500 ac1200 router. My plan is to put this across the house where we get very low signal. I already have power-line adapters and firmware is very east to use as AP.

Edit: I get 150Mbps because live in apartment building. I have like 20 wifi network with over 2-3 bars.

Yeah I really like this router for $20 it is a steal.

Turned off usb 3.0 so no interference, plugged in a usb stick and enabled entware.

With entware you can install all sorts of packages, just like apt-get or yum works, very neat.

If you know how to work in a linux console, this thing is very powerful because it has hardware nat and the cpu is free to do whatever you want with 128mb of ram.

Coming from a WRT54G it is very very nice.

Only way I'd tell someone NOT to get it is if they needed crazy far range or something because it is internal antenna.

How is the latency router on this ? So tempted to replace my old E2500 (stock firmware) with this one.

How is the latency router on this ? So tempted to replace my old E2500 (stock firmware) with this one.

Tell me how to measure that and I'll tell you?

It is hardware based nat, so should be very fast?

Good deal for someone looking for a dual band router/AP. I already have a 2.4ghz N router though, so if I were to upgrade it'd be for something that has AC (beamforming looks like a neat technology). I actually bought the cheap asus USB-N56 to use as an access point on my server since it was $25 and I didn't feel like shelling out the cash for 5ghz. I didn't think 5ghz was a big deal until I moved to my apartment and the entire 2.4ghz range is completely oversaturated. My wifi cuts out in my kitchen, about 30 feet away from the router, thanks to the 35 wireless signals competing.

5ghz is completely empty though since they all use the mediocre wireless routers that come from comcast/dsl connections, so this probably would have been as good/better in terms a deal/option. I tend to be weary of refurbished electronics though.

I guess i am asking pings to your router over wifi and general throughput of the connection. I currently have a e2500 so i am tempted to buy this and try it out. I also have a belkin ac 1200 that seems to be horrible at keeping connections.

I guess i am asking pings to your router over wifi and general throughput of the connection. I currently have a e2500 so i am tempted to buy this and try it out. I also have a belkin ac 1200 that seems to be horrible at keeping connections.

Not much latency at all. I did several speed test wired and wireless. I am getting almost similar speeds. Actually getting the same speed, but wired is little more solid constant connection, while wifi shows decrease on throughput here and there.

Only thing, I get only 150Mbps with my lappy and 802.11ac capable phone, but my laptop is getting 300Mbps with D-Link 802.11n adapter.

I tend to be weary of refurbished electronics though.

Other than the white box it came in, there was physically no way to tell this was refurbished, there is not a scratch on it anywhere, not even the power supply.

I flashed padavan onto it and reset the nvram entirely before using so there is no way to be affected by what anyone previously did.

They probably got a bunch of returns because of the usb 3.0 issue, which I cannot believe they still actively advertise.

Other than the white box it came in, there was physically no way to tell this was refurbished, there is not a scratch on it anywhere, not even the power supply.

I flashed padavan onto it and reset the nvram entirely before using so there is no way to be affected by what anyone previously did.

They probably got a bunch of returns because of the usb 3.0 issue, which I cannot believe they still actively advertise.

It also shows to have a 2 year warranty so um how can you go wrong? Isn't that what a new unit comes with so why gripe it's refurbed?

I'm on the fence until someone tells me how far away they can get from the router. :confused:

Here it is:

2 Year ASUS North America Warranty

2 year North America warranty
1-way free standard shipping
24/7 tech support

Said F it and ordered two. Two separate orders of course so I can use a different address to claim the 2nd rebate card. :D

OP needs to remove the shoprunner bit. They don't support it anymore:

"Newegg.com is currently not a ShopRunner participating store." <----Directly from Shoprunner.

Last edited:
Back