Asus ROG Z690 Motherboards Will Only Support DDR5, DDR4 For Other Models

Yep, I think only the most premium boards will be DDR5 only, with several others offering DDR4 variants.

My guess is that you're all going to want DDR5 as soon as the first XMP-rated kits hit the market with higher voltage ratings than standard.

My guess is that you're all going to want DDR5 as soon as the first XMP-rated kits hit the market with higher voltage ratings than standard.

My guess is that you're all not going to want to pay the price for for said RAM. (see also every subsequent DDR release in the past 15 years).

Especially since (historically), early revision sticks aren't going to be speed demons and will likely have less raw performance in some areas than higher end DDR4 once you factor in the latency. There's always been an early adopter tax with new revision DDR memory. I see no reason this is going to change with DDR5. Waiting it out 6 months to a year (second gen DDR5 platforms) isn't a terrible idea.

My guess is that you're all not going to want to pay the price for for said RAM. (see also every subsequent DDR release in the past 15 years).

Especially since (historically), early revision sticks aren't going to be speed demons and will likely have less raw performance in some areas than higher end DDR4 once you factor in the latency. There's always been an early adopter tax with new revision DDR memory. I see no reason this is going to change with DDR5. Waiting it out 6 months to a year (second gen DDR5 platforms) isn't a terrible idea.

If that ends up being the case, I would hold off on the upgrade altogether. It doesn't make sense to me to wait for ADL and then buy a mobo that locks you into DDR4.

If that ends up being the case, I would hold off on the upgrade altogether. It doesn't make sense to me to wait for ADL and then buy a mobo that locks you into DDR4.

Depends on how long you keep it I would think. It usually takes about 2 years for new DDR pricing to stabilize and binned ICCs to show up in greater numbers. Very well could be the whole ADL generation. If you want the latest and greatest Intel setup right away and have some DDR4 4000+ memory sitting around anyway, it might be worth it. Plus, not everyone buys the highest SKU. A 12400 or 12600 non-k would probably be indistinguishable with DDR4 vs. DDR5.

I think that Samsung bdie ddr4 with super tight timings will have much lower latency than the first couple years of DDR 5. If that's true then the Asus Tuf z690 D4 looks to be a great option.

My 5600x is undervolted and +200 on PBO, my bdie is a 4133 kit but it's running insanely tight 3600 c14 - 160trfc and it still bottlenecks my Tuf 3080 in Warzone. I really want to get up to 280fps. Right now in Warzone season 4 I get around 180 fps average. In gulag it can break 300 but parts of Verdansk drop to 145. Hopefully Intel and the new Warzone map can get me more frames.

I'm 40 years old... beating these 19 year olds in reaction time is easier with faster hardware. Supplements, fitness and a ton of aim training help too.

I've ever bought a top end mobo, the value just isn't there

I've ever bought a top end mobo, the value just isn't there
Only real high end motherboard I've ever owned was the EVGA SR2 back when I was really [H] into Distributed Computing. With that said, I'm getting ready to buy a $390 X570S board which I guess is mid-range these days.

Last edited:
my i7 5930K Haswell-E server me very well but for me it's really time to upgrade. I'll use my old 2080Ti until the 4000 series will come (if I will be able to buy that GPUs) but I need a new CPU now.
do you think that the availability on these CPUs will be good or we will see the same nightmare happened with GPUs?

my i7 5930K Haswell-E server me very well but for me it's really time to upgrade. I'll use my old 2080Ti until the 4000 series will come (if I will be able to buy that GPUs) but I need a new CPU now.
do you think that the availability on these CPUs will be good or we will see the same nightmare happened with GPUs?

I remember I was having a hard time finding my 9900K around release.

Newegg Shuffle might be the best way. Although they'll probably bundle them with some god-awful exploding PSU or something.

Actually....nah...they wouldn't do something like that. :whistle:

It will be very hard to find anything for the first 3 or 4 months if Alder Lake is as good as everyone is anticipating(no different than any other highly anticipated new gear from this lovely timeframe). Scalpers will scalp and the rest of us will hate them for botting everything up. Microcenter will probably end up being the easiest place to get one at a fair price.
Mbs may be easier to get, ddr4 z690s will likely go first. I dont know if the ddr5 models will keep pace due to ddr5 being so expensive.
DDR4 memory will be far easier to get now and going forward(with a few exceptions) for obvious reasons. DDR5 rgb and higher speed modules will sell out fast. The rest will go from fastest to slowest speeds. From what I've seen it's going to run about twice as much as comparable ddr4. Unless something changes between now and release.
That's how i see things playing out if Alder Lake is solid.

Back