ASUS ROG X99 STRIX GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS ROG X99 STRIX GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Review - ASUS’ ROG X99 STRIX GAMING motherboard adds a bit of bling to the ROG line and much needed fresh blood that comes with some cool features and a much lower price point than other ROG X99 chipset offerings. And it has all the pretty lights in any color you want, if that is your thing.

Great article overall as usual. I believe there is a typo at the bottom of the conclusion page. It was indicated at $340 under Dan's thoughts but under the bottom line it indicates $238 which would make the board an amazing deal. Also I think it's a RGB header next to the onboard power and reset switches. Overall for a Strix product, I definitely agree that they should have reinforced all the PCI-Express slots. Also I'm curious as to what power supply was replaced?

Another problematic x99 board. I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

Silver award? Really? After all the issues?

Ya'all should not be making excuses for the mfgr. Either the build goes well, or it doesn't. God help the HEDT builder if this is what $325+ buys you.

Shameful.

Last edited:
I was looking at this board for an X99 build for a friend but I think i will stick with the new X99 deluxe as I have heard less problems.

Silver award? Really? After all the issues?

Ya'all should not be making excuses for the mfgr. Either the build goes well, or it doesn't. God help the HEDT builder if this is what $325+ buys you.

Shameful.
As I typed out, I think that most all of Dan's issues were due to defective test hardware, specifically a PSU, which was changed out later.

Nice review as ALWAYS.

I agree with Dan in that I hate a cheap I/O shield too. I've run across several that couldn't even be used because of poor contruction/effort. Seems so much easier adding a USB 3.1 card over upgrading existing X99 system. Not a bad price though considering the market.

Really like the [H] Motherboard reviews, always very thorough. MB are probably the most difficult component to properly review, yet never get the attention or appreciation that GPU's reviews receive.

Seems to me like ASUS is really cutting corners on their X99 refresh motherboards aside from the flagship Edition 10 Rampage V. That's definitely not a good sign especially when these boards are being released in their 10 year anniversary of the ROG brand. Take for example the plain io shield, packaging and lack of proper reinforcement (only one one slot).

I don't think too many corners were cut with the Asus X99 Deluxe II. Didn't have a lick of trouble with it in my sig rig installing it this past weekend and so for this rig is running wonderfully.

I didn't go back and try all the different memory modules I had tried before after the PSU update and BIOS. I suspect that those problems were either PSU related, or related to the fact that some of my modules are either pre-production samples or intended for Z170.

Is that really a thing now? Memory made for certain chipsets?

I think most of Dan's issues have been because of a faulty 3v rail on the PSU. That said, there are certain DIMMs built for certain chipsets for sure, but I have not seen that be too much of an issue in the last 5 years. All my DDR4 has worked with AMD and Intel setups.

Not precisely, but to an extent it is. When the earlier DDR4 kits came out they were intended for use in quad-channel with X99 chipsets and Haswell-E memory controllers. Dual channel kits came out later, and Z170 era kits were largely optimized for that platform. If you bought a quad-channel kit it was still "designed" for X99. Sometimes kits also have more than one XMP profile which is problematic. My DDR4 2800MHz kit is like that. The production version doesn't have the second profile. I have had mixed results with those on Z170 based boards. My Dominator Platinum modules usually work on either X99 or Z170 and it's a retail kit. However, I've never seen an X99 system that could do DDR4 3600 with any CPU. So those modules seem best suited for Z170 which does DDR4 3600MHz easily on many motherboards.

However, I've never seen an X99 system that could do DDR4 3600 with any CPU. So those modules seem best suited for Z170 which does DDR4 3600MHz easily on many motherboards.

Isn't that more down to the CPU mem controller though?

Thought about this board, but a lot of negative reviews on Newegg, probably be getting the EVGA x99 FTW K

Nice review.

ASUS is about the only MOBO I purchase these days myself, have several old ROG boards in even family members computers.

I used to buy a few others boards, but having caps fail over time on some I gave up. Is probably fixed here and there but still.

ASUS made me a fanboi as far as MOBO's long ago. Some are different than others of course.

My ancient P6T7 I bought off the Egg open box for about $299 when they were going for about $500 at the time is still kicking along a X5680 @ 4.5 pretty well after about 7 years.

I've been beating a dead horse with this thing a long time now :)

P6T7 WS SuperComputer - Overview

Last edited:
Amazing review. What a sweet beast. Rather go with the Rampage 10 Years.

Back