Asus ROG Strix XG monitors announced, priced, dated.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/38.htm#asus_rog_strix_xg

Asus ROG Strix XG27VQ, XG32VQ and XG35VQ Gaming Monitors

Asus have recently announced three models in their new XG series of ROG Strix monitors designed for professional gamers. Models announced so far are available in 27", 32" and 35" sizes with a curved screen format. The models announced so far are:

XG27VQ - a 1800R curved 27" model with a 1920 x 1080 resolution. This screen features a 144Hz refresh rate, AMD FreeSync support and Asus' 'Extreme Low Motion Blur' technology. It uses a VA technology panel and offers a 4ms G2G response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles, 16.7m colour depth and sRGB gamut colour space. DisplayPort, HDMI 1.4 and DL-DVI connections are provided and the stand offers tilt, swivel and height adjustments. This model is available now at a RRP of £409.99

XG32VQ - a 1800R curved 32" model with a 2560 x 1440 resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. This screen features a 144Hz refresh rate and supports AMD FreeSync (Extreme Low Motion Blur is not supported on this model for some reason). There is a slightly boosted colour gamut on this model offering a 125% sRGB coverage. It's based on a VA panel and offers a 4ms G2G response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles and 16.7m colour depth. DisplayPort, HDMI 1.4 and Mini DisplayPort connections are provided and the stand offers tilt, swivel and height adjustments.This model is expected to be available mid-December with an SRP or £549.99

XG35VQ - a 1800R curved 35" model with a 3440 x 1440 resolution and ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio for increased immersion. This screen has a native 100Hz refresh rare, AMD FreeSync and Asus' Extreme Low Motion Blur. It looks like this might be the first ultrawide we have seen with a 3440 x 1440 resolution and a strobing blur reduction backlight actually. It's based on a VA panel and offers a 4ms G2G response time, 2500:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles, 16.7m colour depth and sRGB gamut. DisplayPort, HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 connections are provided and the stand offers tilt, swivel and height adjustments.This model is expected to be available mid-December with an SRP or £799.99

All three XG screens feature gaming-inspired design integrates onboard ASUS Aura RGB lighting and a customizable light signature enables projection of a unique lighting display on the surface below the monitor, adding cool ambience to any gaming setup or LAN party.

They also feature the ASUS GamePlus hotkey for in-game enhancements. The crosshair overlay provides four different crosshair options, while the onscreen timer positioned on the left of the screen helps gamers keep track of elapsed gaming time. The FPS counter lets users know how smoothly the game is running. The display alignment function provides three alignment lines on all four sides of the monitor to take the guesswork out of multi-display setups.

ASUS DisplayWidget is an intuitive software utility that lets users tweak settings or configure ASUS GameVisual, App Sync, and Blue Light Filter. While adjustments to these utilities can be made via the on-screen display (OSD) menu or the navigational joystick and buttons, ASUS DisplayWidget makes accessing and using these various settings much faster and easier. GameVisual technology provides up to seven preset display modes (MOBA, RTS/RPG, FPS, sRGB, Racing, Scenery. and Cinema) to optimize visuals for different types of games.

For a brief second before I read the model numbers I thought these were dates for the HDR displays. Such rebadging trickery, Asus. Ugh.

stop wasting our time with these stupid displays Asus & Acer. Literally NO ONE WANTS THESE CRAP MONITORS

Where the hell is 4k+144hz and or HDR :(

Wow it is almost 2018 and this is what they come out with? A 1080p 27" monitor, I just wet my panties.

Curved and 144 Hz on VA? Gross.

1080 on 27" and 1440 on 32"? Double gross.

No G-Sync? Three strikes, you're out.

On the 27": Why announce it with any fanfare at all? Basically all the other brands have already released their own monitors with Samsung's 27" 144hz VA panel, including outliers like Lenovo and MSI. You don't get a medal for finishing last Asus. Also 410£ is very high for this panel.

On the 32": Good that we're seeing more monitors with this panel. Neither Samsung's own C32HG70 or AOC's AG322QCX are without flaws, and Philips have been completely silent with their version since IFA. Why no blur reduction though?

So what is holding back monitor technology? We have gpus capable of much better.

We are all stuck eating the same turd burger- we just get to choose different condiments.

Very strange

So what is holding back monitor technology? We have gpus capable of much better.

We are all stuck eating the same turd burger- we just get to choose different condiments.

Very strange

Honestly I don't think monitor tech is being held back. Monitors look better than they ever have and there are boat loads of options out there and they keep getting cheaper. There are 4K screens everywhere you look, Gsync and even FreeSync 1440 screens are pretty plentiful too at good prices, curved screens, 21:9 screens and you can find 144 Hz gaming specific monitors all over the place. It wasn't that long ago that we were gaming on 1680x1050 and below on 22" screens and smaller that cost 2 and 3 times as much as 27" monitors do now and were just fine and there were no such things as "gaming monitors". Now, gaming monitors are a huge segment of the market with all brands coming out with their own offerings. We're getting excellent 27" 1440 144 Hz monitors with great image quality and refresh rates for reasonable prices. Wasn't that long ago TN panels were all you could get if you wanted to play games. Now we're getting VA panels that are fast enough for gaming but still have the much better picture quality over TN. Just because they don't have 4K OLED 244 Hz 32" monitors out yet is by no means a "turd sandwich"....and I'd bet ya that exact monitor isn't too far off in the future. The gaming monitor segment is pretty sweet right now.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think monitor tech is being held back. Monitors look better than they ever have and there are boat loads of options out there and they keep getting cheaper. There are 4K screens everywhere you look, Gsync and even FreeSync 1440 screens are pretty plentiful too at good prices, curved screens, 21:9 screens and you can find 144 Hz gaming specific monitors all over the place. It wasn't that long ago that we were gaming on 1680x1050 and below on 22" screens and smaller that cost 2 and 3 times as much as 27" monitors do now and were just fine and there were no such things as "gaming monitors". Now, gaming monitors are a huge segment of the market with all brands coming out with their own offerings. We're getting excellent 27" 1440 144 Hz monitors with great image quality and refresh rates for reasonable prices. Wasn't that long ago TN panels were all you could get if you wanted to play games. Now we're getting VA panels that are fast enough for gaming but still have the much better picture quality over TN. Just because they don't have 4K OLED 244 Hz 32" monitors out yet is by no means a "turd sandwich"....and I'd bet ya that exact monitor isn't too far off in the future. The gaming monitor segment is pretty sweet right now.
Agreed. The only real issue we have to contend with in this moment is quality control. OLED panels continue to come down in price and get better and one day we'll see real quantum dot technology in consumer hands.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Gross. Rehashed Crapola. Boo! I say BOOOOO!

Bring on the 4K 144hz FALD and 3440x1440 FALD displays already. Stop wasting our time!

Yep... still waiting for those high refresh rate 4k panels!

Yep... still waiting for those high refresh rate 4k panels!
That is nice and all but we still lacking the GPU power to push high refresh rate 4k. Won't be til at least 1280 series of card. By then there be even better monitors on the market!

That is nice and all but we still lacking the GPU power to push high refresh rate 4k. Won't be til at least 1280 series of card. By then there be even better monitors on the market!

People keep repeating that but I don't think it's actually true. Titan V will push 120fps at 4K in Destiny 2, and it's likely next year's top Volta card will be even faster than Titan V. Yes, sure, you can always cripple your card's performance with ridiculous anti-aliasing settings and I'm sure there are games where maxed out crazy Ultra settings strain even a Titan V at ~60fps, but at the same time most of the competitive games where high framerate actually matters are much less intensive than the newest AAA titles. 4k@144fps is plenty doable even for 1080 TI in csgo, overwatch, or league of legends.

More GPU power is always good but there is plenty coming in 2018 to push most games at 4K to >100fps.

People keep repeating that but I don't think it's actually true. Titan V will push 120fps at 4K in Destiny 2, and it's likely next year's top Volta card will be even faster than Titan V. Yes, sure, you can always cripple your card's performance with ridiculous anti-aliasing settings and I'm sure there are games where maxed out crazy Ultra settings strain even a Titan V at ~60fps, but at the same time most of the competitive games where high framerate actually matters are much less intensive than the newest AAA titles. 4k@144fps is plenty doable even for 1080 TI in csgo, overwatch, or league of legends.

More GPU power is always good but there is plenty coming in 2018 to push most games at 4K to >100fps.

Interesting test results there. I hope the Titan V's horrible 1% and 0.1% FPS numbers reflect Volta not being a gaming optimization target for driver writers; and not a sign of problems coming next year.

Back