ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 O8G GAMING Video Card

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 O8G GAMING Video Card

We have our first custom retail AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 GPU video card on the test bench in the form of the ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 O8G GAMING video card. ASUS has created a robust ROG STRIX version of RX Vega 64 with a factory overclock and overclocking ability in this air-cooled monster. Let’s see what it can do.

Unfortunate, no headroom left.
The 1080 wasnt even a custom version and had no overclock.

I don't understand, conclusion say: "First let’s talk about default out-of-box performance. The ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 O8G GAMING video card already ships with a factory overclock and better performance than the reference AMD Radeon RX Vega 64. This performance allows you to play games at 1440p with the highest in-game settings." however no proper comparison was made in the review, nobody knows beside brent how different it's the performance between Reference Vega and the custom Asus Vega, also only Reference GTX 1080 Used, it would has been perfect to show what custom versus custom can deliver specially when overclocking.

well, anywhay, flawless and great review as always.

Do not forget that Asus Strix uses custom fans that do not fit standard bolt patterns. They are unreplaceable after the warranty period. Asus will not sell you the fans and the model numbers will get you the wrong fan. (End public service announcement.)

Nice review! Could be a nice choice if it was available...

And can't beleibe it took that long for AMD to sort the BIOS/Drivers issues...

Also, not sure if it's 'proper phrasing' in the conclusion: 'We experienced exceptionally well performance in DX12 API...'.

Nice seeing a video card review again - even tho they are as scarce as an Island Marble Butterfly and on the extinct list one can still hope that a rich Aunt or Uncle will buy one for you.

Honestly I think ASUS would have been better served with the Vega 56 as it has more headroom.

Nice seeing a video card review again - even tho they are as scarce as an Island Marble Butterfly and on the extinct list one can still hope that a rich Aunt or Uncle will buy one for you.
Ditto that!

It's hard to get excited about this card. As the Flagship for AMD, it is going head to head with the 2 year old GTX1080 - not even the top tier card for Nvidia. If you put this up against a ASUS STRIX 1080 and overclocked it, I imagine it would top all the benchmarks, maybe even Wolfenstein II. I am just thankful i got my 1080 before the current price spike.

Great review. What fan speed would be required to keep the temps below 70c at stock clocks?

Video card reviews at the moment are like paper launches.
Nice to look at but not based in reality as the only folks who can get one are reviewers.

By the time we can find one and afford it, the next Gen will be released.

I really feel bad for anyone who has been planning an upgrade.

I also think to be fair, the 1080 should be overclocked. The review is slanted.

Its too bad overdriveN wasnt used for the overclock, lets you set the memory voltages. Undervolts and overclocks help vega maintain clocks better. Thanks for the review guys

For every Vega that clocks better with an undervolt there's a Vega out there that won't clock higher no matter what voltage you send through it.

I have 2 Vanilla Vega LE 8GB 64's both default to 1628mhz after I only upgraded the Thermal Interface Material. They maintain at or near that clock almost constantly unless I am not in a game and they spin down for just doing web surfing etc. I am pleasantly surprised and would recommend upgrading from the horrendous factory TIM as soon as possible.

Question on Wolfenstein. My buddy has a vega64 running on a 1700x ryzen. he's playing it at 4k on mein Lebien setting averaging between 60-70fps.

is there a difference in your setup that would cause 1440p to be the Highest playable setting? was it stuttering on you at 4k?

thx for the review ! when talking about the bios n the introduction, you reminded me of trying another bios for my Vega 64 (the LC one, because I now have the EK A240R liquid gaming kit installed), and it seems to work fine, with higher clocks as a result, thx :)

you nicely explained the difference/importance in boost vs actual clocks in BF1, do you have information about the clock behavior in other titles ?
does the actual clock speed differ much depending on the game ?
for some games, you found out that OC has almost no influence, could that be because the clock speed doesn't change vs default (and both are lower than the excepted boost clock) ?

I've done some quick tests, with the EK A240R on 100% fan+pump speed and logged with GPU-z (just visually checked only):
BF1 (Amiens under similar settings)
- temps are stable around 50°C
- clocks stable around 1620MHz and 1100MHz HBM (default bios, custom profile set max 1630)
- clocks stable around 1660MHz and 1100MHz HBM (LC bios, custom profile set max 1680 because default profile 1750 crashed in BF1 after a minute or so)

PUBG seems to run clocks a little lower vs BF1: +/- 1590 (that was still with default bios)

So much for Vega and this gen of AMD cards being a fine wine. Polaris gained maybe 5% ground vs. the 1060, and Vega hasn't gained any ground over 1080. Essentially the same speed while sucking down 80% more power and absolutely no headroom. OCing cards on this node has been crappy, but Vega takes the crappy cake.

So much for Vega and this gen of AMD cards being a fine wine. Polaris gained maybe 5% ground vs. the 1060, and Vega hasn't gained any ground over 1080. Essentially the same speed while sucking down 80% more power and absolutely no headroom. OCing cards on this node has been crappy, but Vega takes the crappy cake.

Yeah, Vega is really a disaster for AMD. It has absolutely no strong point against the competition. price, power consumption, performance, overclock headroom, release date, production cost, availability are all at disadvantage for this GPU compare to GTX 1080 and if I'm not wrong it's the most power hungry GPU of all time. if it was not for mining and successful Ryzen launch, AMD probably could not survive designing and releasing this disastrous GPU.

Last edited:
Wait, what?
What was confusing about that? I haven't seen AMD in a build in a long time. There were a few people here that bought them but the reality really is that AMDs share of the GPU market FELL after Vega was announced.

It loses to comparable Nvidia cards by every metric except mining, had a TERRIBLE launch with the pricing cluster fuck, has had terrible availability (although all GPUs do right now).

Very few positives in my eyes. Ryzen + Vega APU could be a great. Mac Pro using only Vega is cool except for the low sales..

Quite interesting that it can't keep up with the maximum boost clock. All that I did in order for my RX Vega 64 to keep up with the max boost was to increase the power target to 150% and then enable the fan curve to reach 100% whenever it is necessary. It runs at 1700MHz most of the time, sometimes can reach 1720, it rarely reaches 1730 though. But if I undervolt even a bit, it becomes a bit unstable, so seems that the power thingy is doing its work to deliver the optimized values for it.

A gaming video card? I remember those! Back in the day you could just walk into a store or go online and buy one. Gosh, I haven't seen one of those since forever. I didn't think they still existed. :D

Its too bad this one wasnt a clocker, both of my Reference 56's flashed to 64's will do 1620/1125 in BF1 all day long. Looking forward to the results once they are under water! They do require tinkering with more than other cards for sure though, but i like that side of things. My days of hard volt mods are over, but ill flash a bios or edit the registry tables to get more performance out of er!

What was confusing about that? I haven't seen AMD in a build in a long time. There were a few people here that bought them but the reality really is that AMDs share of the GPU market FELL after Vega was announced.

It loses to comparable Nvidia cards by every metric except mining, had a TERRIBLE launch with the pricing cluster fuck, has had terrible availability (although all GPUs do right now).

Very few positives in my eyes. Ryzen + Vega APU could be a great. Mac Pro using only Vega is cool except for the low sales..

Only at the very top end, and not if you compare based on msrp. Since they sell for way over msrp, it's not a disaster for amd, just for those that want to build one.

I was close to buying a vega56 as it beat the 1070 on every metric except power consumption, but the same couldn't be said for the vega64 and I had budget for a $500 card, so I went 1080.

Mining has shot the whole thing to hell, but amd is selling everything they make without discounting (so is nvidia for that manner). Actually, the whole situation is a win for amd as they're probably getting really good apu sales right now.

As interesting as any successive "custom card" review can be, which is to say not so much. I suggest you omit the overclocking section in future video card reviews. Overclocking is a dying art and time and time again proves to be so not worth the considerable effort expended.

As interesting as any successive "custom card" review can be, which is to say not so much. I suggest you omit the overclocking section in future video card reviews. Overclocking is a dying art and time and time again proves to be so not worth the considerable effort expended.
Not so.
We can see if a card is pretty near maxed out already, critical for many people and overclocking headroom can extend the life of a card.
How else do you propose we find the better overclocking cards?
Results vary a bit but no guaranteee is implied anyway.
It is helpful on many levels.

with video card prices up in the ionosphere, my rx 580 is going to be around a lot longer lol. Nice review of the card.

At least this confirms I gave you the right custom title.

What was the power limit set to on this card? I have this same card and the clocks are similar to yours, but my power limit can't go above 10.

Oh it was right at the beginning! Reading fail on my part. Wow, you could put the pl all the way up. Further confirming my card is a dud. Thanks.

Back