ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti and 2080 1440p Preview @ [H]

People keep comparing the 2080 to the 1080 Ti, which is understandable given that they're closer in price... but no one mentions that the 2080 simply DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY! Seriously, we already have games that can more than max out 8GB. 11GB is the minimum now for a high end card IMO, unless you want textures that look worse than on console... which isn't good. I would absolutely consider a 2080 eventually, even though I hate the price, but it would be a DOWNGRADE for me, because I have a 1080 Ti and the 11GB is just enough, and may NOT even be enough before the end of the 2080 series generation. "Ultra" quality textures, in Shadow of War for example, make a much bigger difference than most of the higher-cost graphical features... but 8GB ain't enough, and that game is already a year old!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people who "upgraded" from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 will regret it, if not now, then soon enough...

Make sure to turn on DSR in the nVidia control panel to burn the leftover FPS. Makes 1080p look pretty good, way better than you’d imagine. Just turn down smoothing to 15% or less. You then set the game resolution higher and it downscales to your native resolution.

A 2080 might be up your alley for ray tracing. Sounds like you don’t buy GPUs very often. Could be worth the splurge. ;) Maybe wait for the [H] review on DLSS and Ray Tracing.

Honestly, most games now have in-game settings for supersampling which look and perform better than DSR (mainly perform better, of course). Only in older games, or newish games that aren't high-budget graphical powerhouses, really would need or benefit at all from DSR over what is offered in-game with "supersamplish" or "resolution scaling" or whatever the given title chooses to call it.

People keep comparing the 2080 to the 1080 Ti, which is understandable given that they're closer in price... but no one mentions that the 2080 simply DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY! Seriously, we already have games that can more than max out 8GB. 11GB is the minimum now for a high end card IMO, unless you want textures that look worse than on console... which isn't good. I would absolutely consider a 2080 eventually, even though I hate the price, but it would be a DOWNGRADE for me, because I have a 1080 Ti and the 11GB is just enough, and may NOT even be enough before the end of the 2080 series generation. "Ultra" quality textures, in Shadow of War for example, make a much bigger difference than most of the higher-cost graphical features... but 8GB ain't enough, and that game is already a year old!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people who "upgraded" from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 will regret it, if not now, then soon enough...

Plenty of us have been mentioning the meager 8GB on 2080. I guess $800-$900 just doesn't buy much DDR6. ;)

Yeah wouldnt doubt it if we see higher memory cards 6 months from now. 14GB..

What games are you playing that use this much RAM?

I just played through Wolfenstein II New Colossus and the new Doom. No matter what I do with the settings I can never get them to hit 6GB, and I play at 4k. Utilization always levels off at about 5.7GB, and I have a 12GB Pascal Titan X.

Before these two games I don't think I've ever seen anything even hit 5GB.

I'm kind of curious what uses that much VRAM, because I've never seen it.

This is exactly what I've been waiting to see, thanks! I'm glad Nvidia's bullshit hasn't slowed you guys down much and I can't wait for the full review.

So far, I would have REALLY liked to see another 15% - 20% performance out of the 2080 Ti... but I want more oomph than I can get out of a 1080 Ti, so fuck it, what can ya do?

Deus Ex Mankind Divided can exceed 11GB on 4K max settings.

Hmm. Ok. The reason I never saw that was because my Pascal Titan (even overclocked on water) wasn't fast enough at 4k.

I had to do a custom ultrawide 21:9 (3840x1646) resolution and play it letterboxed to make it fast enough.

I had a Titan X Pascal when I was playing Deus Ex. It was in no way playable on 4k max, I just did it as a test. I think I was getting like 5 fps.

Back