Asus Rog Strix B350-I mITX. No Video Output ?

mothman

Supreme [H]ardness
Got an R5 2400G at Microcenter, wanted an mITX board but the pickings were so slim I held off. Today I see they have the Asus Rog Strix B350-I, which looks great for what I need until I notice it doesn't have ANY video outputs. I looked and looked as I thought they must be hiding the HDMI or DisplayPort somewhere. Nope ain't there. This would have been the perfect board, I can't understand why Asus, even though they tout it's Ryzen/Vega ready, they could leave out the most important element to using an APU in a SFF build.

All the am4 itx and atx boards fucked up one way or another.

Heres the breakdown for ITX:
Asrock: dual hdmi but no DP, no usb 3.1! It comes with the damn chipset, why did they not wire it? They even made one of the 3.0 ports a C connector. They know better (see: Z370 itx) as none of their other medium/high end boards are this stupid. Also there is literally no difference between the X370 and B350 board, none at all.
Asus: lolvideo, that backplate is so empty, /facepalm
Gigabyte: Realjunk ethernet, bizzaro cpu 12V and other connector placement. Has two usb 3.1 but no C connector. Probably the least fucked up board overall though, so I got this one. Might as well put a good NIC in the empty x8 lanes.
Biostar: whatever
All: too few fan connectors, an 'enthusiast' or premium ITX should have 3 minimum

Note: 3.1 means 10Gbps g2, retroactive "3.1g1" is pure marketing bullshit, don't play along with it.

Maybe the 400-series will see an ITX board without facial warts, hell technically they are allowed to have thunderbolt now too.

Last edited:
Are you kidding, more headers is more control, 3 is baseline for a premium board: 2 for push/pull and a case fan. Sure you can get a cheap fan controller (I don't do 3 wire full speed, ever) and send the same signal to all of them but direct control is best, especially if you are running different sizes. Extra PWM fans is actually a quieter system done properly, you can run multiple at a lower rpm and have more total airflow.

I "looked" at that board, I own it. Did you even read my post? Even though it is the least-crappy am4 ITX board it still made some pretty dumb design choices. Realtek lan (dear OEMs, ITX is already premium: don't cheap on this) no C port but at least they used the 3.1 controller, bizzare header placements.

The 300 series ITX are all half-assed boards, maybe 400 series will get it right.

Are you kidding, more headers is more control, 3 is baseline for a premium board: 2 for push/pull and a case fan. Sure you can get a cheap fan controller (I don't do 3 wire full speed, ever) and send the same signal to all of them but direct control is best, especially if you are running different sizes. Extra PWM fans is actually a quieter system done properly, you can run multiple at a lower rpm and have more total airflow.

I "looked" at that board, I own it. Did you even read my post? Even though it is the least-crappy am4 ITX board it still made some pretty dumb design choices. Realtek lan (dear OEMs, ITX is already premium: don't cheap on this) no C port but at least they used the 3.1 controller, bizzare header placements.

The 300 series ITX are all half-assed boards, maybe 400 series will get it right.
Why can't you run push/pull from a single header?

I noticed the same thing at the Chicago Microcenter stores. They have 2 new Asus ITX boards, the one you saw and the other is X370 and is $189.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/502391/ROG_STRIX_X370-I_Gaming_AM4_mITX_AMD_Motherboard
The no video thing seemed insane to me too.

Some reviewers who got the 2400G and 2200G kits got the MSI B350I Pro AC
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350I-PRO-AC/Overview
Some had really good things to say about it, but it doesn't seem to be for sale yet in the US, or at least I couldn't find it yet.

I bought the Asus X370 i-gaming because the reason stated above and the lack of video was the least of my problems because the cpu don't have gpu and iam using a mini gtx 1080 in my build. but yeah Asrock usually makes good itx boards but the am4 ones are really weird feature set doesn't make sense to me. I had to go with Asus this time.

Why can't you run push/pull from a single header?
Well besides that, an AIO will often call for 2 fan headers. So to have a 3rd header for a case fan is much desired.

But yes, push pull often can be run off a splitter as the rpms would generally be in sync.

Have the Asrock ITX board shipping in the mail, looking forward to checking it out!

Well besides that, an AIO will often call for 2 fan headers. So to have a 3rd header for a case fan is much desired.

But yes, push pull often can be run off a splitter as the rpms would generally be in sync.

Have the Asrock ITX board shipping in the mail, looking forward to checking it out!

I run 3 different fan sizes in my favorite itx case but didn't feel like arguing with pedants/trolls about why leaving out a 2 cent connector on a premium layout made sense. Retail ITX models are premium when micro/full atx budget boards are half the price.

The am4 300-series itx boards are all mediocre at best from a DIY/enthusiast standpoint, especially when you consider a lot of layout/design mistakes were made by OEMs that obviously know better in previous designs. They phoned those in or handed it off to interns, probably because they were in a hurry and half expected amd to fail this time so why bother? lol.

Now that the success is obvious, hopefully they put in actual effort and the 4xx designs will be decent.

the asus x370 i-gaming has really good vrms for overclocking

Back