ASUS ROG Spatha Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want a mouse that not only looks good but performs great as well, the crew at Vortez say the ASUS ROG Spatha might be the mouse for you.

The Spatha has been turning heads since it was unveiled at Computex last year and it is easy to see why. It is a large, wired/wireless mouse based on a magnesium alloy frame that features a total of 12 programmable buttons, of which the 6 side buttons are arranged in a way that represents the ROG eye logo. To finish of the final aesthetic, there is a 3 zone customisable RGB lighting system.

Too many buttons on the side, good luck gripping it properly without pressing one.

These mouses with all these buttons are fucking stupid, nobody uses them. Its just a marketing thing, uneducated people think "OMGZ MORE BUTTONS MORE BETTERS"

Too many buttons on the side, good luck gripping it properly without pressing one.

These mouses with all these buttons are fucking stupid, nobody uses them. Its just a marketing thing, uneducated people think "OMGZ MORE BUTTONS MORE BETTERS"

When I still played WoW, and as a resto shammy, I used all the buttons. I forget what mouse I had at the time, but it had 12 or 13 buttons. I used every single one of them.
Since I broke from mmo addiction, six seems to be a good number.

It depends on how you grip the mouse. My place my thumb on the bottom of the mouse, so my hand wouldn't even be on the button. As for extra buttons, I really don't care. Left/Right click, scroll wheel, scroll wheel button, and 2 side buttons is all I need. I have the MS Sidewinder mouse, so it has the 3 extra buttons for DPI changing and weights. I bought it when it was first released and then it started dying 2 years ago. So I picked up another one off ebay. I stuck with it, cause I liked how it felt. This mouse may become a replacement, as it appears to have a similar shape. I never liked the feel of the Logitech mice, Razer mice, etc. Some ppl use a mouse with their wrist up in the air, while I keep my wrist planted on the table. So I like the hump on the back, as it goes right into the palm of my hand.

As for more button, it depends on who's using it. I could have gone this route, but I bought a nice Razer keyboard and ended up going with macros on the keyboard. Instead of macros via the mouse. I could have gone either way and ended up with a more barebones keyboard and a mouse with tons of buttons. If the drivers allow me to program like the G key to the mouse, it'd be very useful. Nothing more annoying than trying to randomly strafe and toss a grenade using the G key on the keyboard. I'd probably only use 3 side buttons on the mouse at most. Side button locations are always too forward for me, so I have to adjust my hand forward to use them. So most times, I never use them. With this mouse design, it appears I can easily reach the 3 rear side buttons. The 3 front side buttons would end up being useless for me.

The Spatha has an okay design. I'm not a fan of the scroll wheel. I don't imagine that rubber crap will last very long. I wish I could try it out first. The weight seems heavy, but I run 156g on my Sidewinder, so I don't think that'll be a big deal. The price is quite heavy though, but I guess that's pretty normal nowadays for a high end gaming mouse.

I like the setup of the extra buttons and general layout of the mouse, but it is way too large and heavy for my personal tastes. Still waiting for a good claw mouse to come and replace my G9x.

Back