Asus ROG Poseidon GTX780 Has A Release Date

Speaking from the position of never having done anything with actual liquid cooling loops (just AIO's), this thing just doesn't seem like it makes sense.

i suppose someone tentative about water cooling might like this product, or someone who swaps video cards into and out of water cooled and non water cooled test systems.

It isn't for me, but I can see the sense in it. Anyone who delves in water cooling would love the ability to swap quickly between air and water on the go when needs require such. Key word, quickly. Screwing around with a waterblock takes time and hassle, water loops in general are a pain to deal with. If you have to change something in your loop, this card would save you time as you could use it as an air cooled card with changing anything. Or if you have to drain your loop for whatever reason. You can still use your GPU in the interim with this card without having to fuck with the block.

Like I said though, the card isn't for me. I'm sure it's going to be a super low volume limited edition SKU since it's a niche product. I can see how someone would like it.

Read a review. With the water cooling used, the fans never go above idle. It isn't half assed, and you don't have to buy a $110 water block.

Read a review. With the water cooling used, the fans never go above idle. It isn't half assed, and you don't have to buy a $110 water block.

I don't know about "half-assed" but based on this pic it does not look like the typical waterblock that I'm used to seeing, where water flows through channels that allow water to directly collect heat from the GPU, VRMs, etc. Instead, it's like a "water heatpipe" that goes around the heatsink's vapor chamber. While I can see how this would help remove more heat than a typical air cooler would on its own, I fail to see how it would directly complete with a full waterblock.

Love this quote from the ad on the newegg site:

Deliver 30% cleaner power noise

The VRMs on this card do not produce dirty noise. Only nice clean noise.

I'm sold!

It isn't for me, but I can see the sense in it. Anyone who delves in water cooling would love the ability to swap quickly between air and water on the go when needs require such. Key word, quickly. Screwing around with a waterblock takes time and hassle, water loops in general are a pain to deal with. If you have to change something in your loop, this card would save you time as you could use it as an air cooled card with changing anything. Or if you have to drain your loop for whatever reason. You can still use your GPU in the interim with this card without having to fuck with the block.

Like I said though, the card isn't for me. I'm sure it's going to be a super low volume limited edition SKU since it's a niche product. I can see how someone would like it.

Cybervenom by Visiontek was the first to put on a factory installed waterblock on a 290 and they can not keep them in stock. Theirs does NOT have a fan, just a block and they are selling all they can make.

This might make sense if you have quick disconnects for the card alone. Still seems overly complicated.

This might make sense if you have quick disconnects for the card alone. Still seems overly complicated.

Respectfully, I don't get this comment. For those that want to water cool, most have done it before and this card will be less complicated for them. Far less annoying with less hassle than ordering an EK block for 110$, buying the accessories, and going through the hassle of putting the block and accessories on. This one is pretty much ready to go, you simply attach your custom loop to the card and you're done; I fail to see how this is complicated. The target audience that wants to water cool, they know how to set up a custom loop therefore this is less complicated.

And if you're new to water cooling and find it too daunting? Well it's a simple answer. Don't buy the card. For someone who does custom loops the card is a reasonable value, a block generally costs north of 100$ and you have to go through some hassle with installing it on the card. Then you have to buy all of the fittings, barbs, etc. This one is ready to go out of the box, simply hook your custom loop. Leak test. Done. Sounds like they're avoiding 10 steps of the process here, so it isn't more complicated.

Now with that being said, this card isn't for me. I used to be into the entire custom loop thing, but have far less time these days due to work issues. I'm just as happy getting the best factory air overclocked card I can get, if not a plain jane reference card. Yet this card does have merit to someone who has a custom loop and is actually priced very well, with all things considered. In comparison to the pre-installed water block cards by EVGA, this is actually a much better value. Not to mention, the swiftech blocks that EVGA uses are far too restrictive on flow. I am not sure if EVGA changes their block suppliers, yet this has been a recurring issue from what I recall. Swiftech isn't a deal breaker, but they aren't the best in terms of GPU blocks. At least, they weren't in prior years. REALLY not sure if that situation changed.

Now for the air cooler, the card really doesn't make a bit of sense really. You can simply get a DC II card if you want an asus which will cool better on air anyway. Yet for water cooling, I think it's a respectable pre-installed GPU block card.

Last edited:
Back