Asus ROG Maximus VII Impact

*derp*

My restriction is that I need to have the 3.5" cage :)
I mentioned that on and off in my replies.

But at any rate, my order was cancelled twice (eBay seller douchery) so I won't be on it for a bit~

Okay then add cryorig C1 to nh-c14 and possibly big shuriken 2

i0db49I.jpg

I can double check my c14 if ya want , but see your pm I was talkin bout the new one is the one which may not fit [10mm past board edge is what determining factor in your 3.5 cage issue arising, Or not]
EDIT: Apparently there may be an issue with sfx psu and c14 when fan mounted in bottom position.. . N1 case
-The shuriken 2 would only be 70mm tall or so with a 25mm normal 120mm fan though so idk sorry just tryin help here

Last edited:
EDIT: Apparently there may be an issue with sfx psu and c14 when fan mounted in bottom position.. . N1 case

Yes, the 140 mm fan that comes with the NH-C14 cannot be used in the M1 with an SFX power supply. Most of us have replaced it with a 120 mm fan. No idea if something in between would fit.

K so a pwm NF-F12 industrialPpc would be great then :cool:

It is an awesome cooler though, Do you N1 guys know of the phanteks version fits right

[with cage]

Hang on. I think the NH-C14 itself overlaps the front fan position on the side bracket so that th ehard drive cage can't be attached. You'd need the smaller NH-C12 heatsink in order to use the cage in the front side position.

Version 2601 out today:

MAXIMUS VII IMPACT BIOS 2601
1. Implement 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors code
*Full support of the new CPU requires necessary driver updates.
2. Support ASUS USB 3.1 PCIE add-on card
3. Support NVMe

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-IMPACT/MAXIMUS-VII-IMPACT-ASUS-2601.zip
New BIOS released today !

MAXIMUS VII IMPACT BIOS 2702
Implement 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors code
*Full support of the new CPU requires VGA driver version 10.18.14.4206 or later

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-IMPACT/MAXIMUS-VII-IMPACT-ASUS-2702.zip
File Size 5.58 MBytes

Yeah so the changelog once again provides nothing useful. Except the note that you need recent iGPU drivers for Broadwell CPU's.

Implement 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors code

Very curious to find out how the 5775C/5675C compares to the 4790K/4690K, or if the 5th-gen support of Z97 is ultimately pointless. Lower clocks, lower TDP, less L3, higher price, and OC requiring nutso amounts of voltage.

Might be good for a tiny iGPU-only build, though.

I would guess it's a complete waste of money. According to some leaked performance, the Intel i7-6700K is only about 5-10% faster than the slightly higher clocked i7-4790K. So unless Intel shot themselves in the foot and made the i7-5775C faster than the new-gen, this would mean the difference in performance per clock would be small enough to make the Broadwell chip perform worse or at best marginally better, within the margin of error.

Ofcourse I'm going by speculation and unverified claims, so it may be totally wrong. But Intel hasn't had a real performance breakthrough (in my opinion by choice) on the consumer Core i-series platform in 5 years, so I doubt they would steer clear from their plan to just have the next gen (6xxx-series) as another incremental boost. But since the i7-5775C is rumored to cost $ 480, it would be a complete waste of money considering IrisPro has not much use in most scenarios and a slight overclock might be able to match or blow past the performance.

I was looking forward to upgrade to a 5th gen CPU but it seems that I better look at some alternatives like an equivalent Xeon or second-hand i7 processor.

That's a relief ! The surprisingly very fast integrated GPU is also very nice. Now if we could only combine these with our dedicated GPU... Maybe DX12 will allow this, but we'll have to wait I guess. Oh well, we'll know soon enough.

Intel has indicated we may see further driver improvements and BIOS updates to better support Broadwell next week. Lets see if the Impact gets another update next week.

While I doubt this will make any significant difference for those waiting for Skylake, it does present an interesting opportunity for those willing to purchase a used Z97, some DDR3 ram, and throwing a Broadwell in as a cheap upgrade.

Been reading a lot of posts in this thread about CPU heatsink coolers for the Maximus VII Impact. I'd like so much to do a ROG themed build and don't want to do liquid cooling. I found these photos on a Japanese site showing that the Noctua NH-U12S fits this motherboard:

IMG_0454s.jpg

IMG_0455s.jpg

IMG_0458s.jpg

I might just go splurge and go ROG even though a lower cost board like the ASUS Z97I-Plus would do the job. But the M7I has so much packed into an ITX form factor! I want to do a high end I7-4790K build in the black windowed Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX chassis with the new ROG themed ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6G graphics card, if they don't offer a better ROG model 980 Ti GPU to choose between.

Last edited:
Some unrelated news, from Asus DIY blog, JJ mention in chat they would need to make a new variant of the Asus Hyper kit before the Intel 750 will work from M.2 slot in Impact due to difference in layout.

I just did some poking around in my case (with an Impact VII), and it looks like this is due to the audio daughter board where the hyper kit connector wants to be. It would be fine, however, if the connector was soldered to the opposite side of the M.2 adapter card.

I was hopeful that the 750 2.5" version would let me have a PCIe SSD without running into heat issues like on the M.2 stick drives. Maybe the SM951 NVMe or its successor will run cooler.

It looks like the location of the connector would be a problem for mATX boards as well, with a dual-slot GPU in the top slot and M.2 in the 2nd. (pics for reference: X99M, Hyperkit)

Hopefully they release a reversed version of the hyperkit, since it doesn't seem very useful with its current orientation for most applications.

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-sm951-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-256gb-nvme-performance/5/
In order to test out the SM951’s heat output we used Iometer. We set 128KB seq. read and write workloads at QD32 to get the most heat and speed possible out of the drive over a 5 minute span, displayed are the speeds every second (300 points). With a temperature probe we recorded the temperature of the controller every 30 seconds over the 5 minutes.

If you have seen our review of the 512GB AHCI variant, you may ask yourself why we only tested 5 minutes here. The answer is quite simple, after 300 seconds of writing at 1.2GB/s, the total amount written exceeds the actual capacity of the 256GB SSD. It is pointless to continuously write after the point of fill. So, as you can see here, the 256GB SM951 NVMe SSD still gets up to about 80C after two minutes, or 120GB of continuous writes at full speed. Reads are a bit lower maxing out at 76C. We notice that there is no write drop off which we experienced with the AHCI variant, which is great to see as well.

Now for thermal performance, we want to elaborate on what the results actually mean. These temperatures are very unlikely to be reached in real world use, just as are the insanely high read IOPS. These are worse case scenarios where we are reading and writing to the SSD’s full capacity at its full speed. People often read these results and expect their drive to hit these temperatures under normal consumer usage, however, this isn’t true. Unless you have another high speed storage device that allows for this SSD to reach full bandwidth in reads and/or writes, the SM951 is not going to hit 70-80C. Most people who buy this SSD will be transferring at the limits of a single SATA 6Gb/s SSD and more often than not, at most two in RAID 0 @ 1GB/s. So for the majority of people out there who will have these SSDs, you don’t need to worry about the heat output. For the few who can and will saturate its performance though, look into adding a fan near this SSD or a small RAM heatsink or thermal pad. With just a 120mm fan pointed at it during testing the SM951’s controller stayed under 62C.

Thanks for the info Phuncz. I guess I'm still waiting to be convinced which M2 SSD I should buy. The 951 is OEM only right?

Yes but I'd refrain from insta-buying the NVMe version when it comes available as long as it's OEM, because it seems to be a hit and miss on the compatibility department. What I've understood from the snippits Samsung has said about the SM951 is that it will release a consumer-version at some point. My guess is around July 29th (Windows 10: NVMe driver) and Skylake's launch (better NVMe support).

Samsung seems to have made it clear they have no intention to address the OEM 951 NVMe's issue with FUA with an official driver, so definitely avoid it at all costs. The AHCI one seems the safe bet if you are looking for something right now, otherwise we should see more M.2 drives (NVMe!) in a few months time.

Thanks Phuncz! I hadn't seen this. It's very comforting to see the thermal conclusions. As for compatibility with the Maximus VII Impact, I have a feeling someone on the forum will be a brave early adopter and let us know how it goes.

I didn't know what FUA meant and I found another review of the SM951 NVMe at legitreviews that explains the problems. Hopefully we'll see a better driver for it pop up from an OEM somewhere.

Not sure if new c14S would since M1 case says cooler may not protrude more than 10mm past board edge , and since the S version has been redesigned with offsest I think it may infact.

According to the NH-C14S heatsink's FAQ page the top portion extends 65 mm from the center of the CPU socket portion in one direction and 75 mm in the opposite direction. I have looked at a high resolution face-on photo of the Maximus VII Impact and from counting pixels and converting to millimeters it seems to me that with the NH-C14S mounted with the heatpipe bends towards the I/O panel, the 75 mm side will overhang the top edge of the motherboard (where the VRM module is) by 6 mm.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a 5775C because I bought a G3258 last year and waited to see what happened with broadwell before buying a new CPU. I like what I see! Pretty sure that Intel just slow-clocked the 5775C to hit a low TDP and say "yeah we did marginal performance improvements but at massive power reduction."
I might be wrong and maybe the 5775C won't OC much at all and I'll end up with something slower than a 4790k, but not by much and the 5775C does have other advantages.

Been reading a lot of posts in this thread about CPU heatsink coolers for the Maximus VII Impact. I'd like so much to do a ROG themed build and don't want to do liquid cooling. I found these photos on a Japanese site showing that the Noctua NH-U12S fits this motherboard:
I might just go splurge and go ROG even though a lower cost board like the ASUS Z97I-Plus would do the job. But the M7I has so much packed into an ITX form factor! I want to do a high end I7-4790K build in the black windowed Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX chassis with the new ROG themed ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6G graphics card, if they don't offer a better ROG model 980 Ti GPU to choose between.

Do eet! The M7I has been fantastic in my experience. The bracket for the "mpcie combo iv" is ridiculous out of the box (seriously, how did they even tighten the screw that tight at the factory?????), but besides that one-time snafu this thing has been pretty omazing. of course it had better be considering the price, but yeah this thing has EVERYTHING including odd-ball stuff like DTS-Live and 4x Gen3 PciE m.2 straight from the CPU (yeah at the expense of turning GPU down to 8x Gen 3 but no big deal). The only real limitation for me has been having only (4) Sata ports, but I have it in a corsair 250d which can only hold 4 sata drives anyway, and i feel the pain of (4) ports simply because I have a pair of old 128gb ssds (waiting for that magical 1tb 4x gen3 pcie nvme m2 drive to materialize).

Or you could wait for the M8I (-8

According to the NH-C14S heatsink's FAQ page the top portion extends 65 mm from the center of the CPU socket portion in one direction and 75 mm in the opposite direction. I have looked at a high resolution face-on photo of the Maximus VII Impact and from counting pixels and converting to millimeters it seems to me that with the NH-C14S mounted with the heatpipe bends towards the I/O panel, the 75 mm side will overhang the top edge of the motherboard (where the VRM module is) by 6 mm.

The Ncase M1 has a CPU hieght limit of 130 mm. The new NH-C14S is 115 mm tall without the top fan. Noctua states that with a fan the total height is 142 mm (not sure where the extra 2 mm comes from). So, nevermind the amount of overhang this heatsink has over the edges of the motherboard, it's just too tall.

The fan can be mounted underneath the heatsink fin stack or on top. Underneath, it adds no height to the heatsink, but it does pose additional problems of likely hitting motherboard components. Better off just going with the old NH-C14 or another alternative to save yourself the trouble if that's the route you would like to go.

Did anyone else have trouble getting this to boot into a RAID array? I installed Windows just fine, but as soon as I reboot it sits there for about 30 seconds scanning the drives before failing into the BIOS.

What's the failure/error message and what is it doing in those 30 seconds ? Is it scanning for disks and not finding them ? Is it trying to find an OS or bootloader and not finding them ? Have you installed using the RAID driver ? Have you used Windows 8 with Secure Boot hoopaloo and used a UEFI device to install from ?

We need more info :)

Also: http://rog.asus.com/forum/

how do i install the wireless drivers for this?

i unzipped the file from asus' site, ran asussetup.exe

command windows opens and also a small window saying "installing the driver/software please wait"
and then then both just close.

also went into the win7 folder. the asussetup.exe in that one does the same thing

finally tried the Setup.exe in Install_CD, and a window pops up for 0.3seconds and then nothing happens

:/

edit:
tried the 500mb older file from asus which included bluetooth drivers as well.

the only file which worked this time is the setup.exe in wifi/win7/install_cd
and then this happened
http://i.imgur.com/evVmkeJ.jpg

f this it's possible to swap out for an intel card right? would the 7265 work?

Last edited:
Anyone else having HORRIBLE and hideous sound when using headphones, with the win 10 audio drivers? (Supreme FX 6.01.7535)

on a side note :p
installed mine to the new, Fractal Design Core 500 case today :D
over from my starter Bitfenix Prodigy :p

actually the machine is quiter now even at full load. but a tad warmer, because of the restricted airflow, and I got lazy and laid the cables everywhere.... plus my "fat" corsair H105 fits like a glove :D
the front cover is a wasted space. unless I decide to hide some cables in it, or make room/drill holes for 2 fans.

Anyone else having HORRIBLE and hideous sound when using headphones, with the win 10 audio drivers? (Supreme FX 6.01.7535)
I did hear some nasty cracks and pumps while inserting the plug, but the sound is still good. I do have v6.1.7525, it's the one I got from the Impact VII support website.
And it seems to not go back to 5.1 configuration after removing the headphones. Realtek should get their shit together, Windows 10 has been available for developers for many months now.

I did hear some nasty cracks and pumps while inserting the plug, but the sound is still good. I do have v6.1.7525, it's the one I got from the Impact VII support website.
And it seems to not go back to 5.1 configuration after removing the headphones. Realtek should get their shit together, Windows 10 has been available for developers for many months now.
Same here. Another reason to avoid ASUS mobos with daughterboards...

BTW, I purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Go and another Sound Blaster 5.1 during the Amazon anniversary sale, and they are working out quite nicely.

Can anyone confirm that the be quiet! Shadow Rock LP [mfr link] does or does not fit on this motherboard? Preferably without overhanging the RAM slots (let my "Tactical Tracer" LEDs shine unhindered).

Hi,

Have anyone found smaller replacement wlan/bt antennas for maximus vii impact?

I dont want to use the one that came with the board because it has too long cables and antenna itself is too big and ugly to place outside ncase.

Spent all day trying to get the board to recognise my SM951 NVMe drive in the M2 slot.

The only even slight hint I can see is that with it plugged in i'm getting x8 lanes on the PCIe slot, and without it's giving the full x16.

Have tried installers for Ubuntu, Windows 7 and 10 but none can see it. Just no drives detected.

Tried Youtube guides, Ramcity guides and guides online, changing SATA to AHCI or RAID does nothing, disabling CSM does nothing, nothing seems to make any difference.

What am I missing?

Anyone have any idea on when we might see the Maximus VIII Impact…?

Anyone have any idea on when we might see the Maximus VIII Impact…?

Raja@Asus on the rog forum has said expected Sept/Oct. So perhaps soonish...

I am hoping they keep the M.2 on the front of the board. I REALLY want to use a Samsung SM951 in my next build (DAN Case A4-SFX), but do not want it to be throttling back in throughput because it is sandwiched between components on the backside of the board…

BTW: Samsung is releasing the retail version of the SM951, namely the 950 Pro. It has even better specs and also a black PCB with a black label, instead of green and white. These are going to arrive in the beginning of October.

BTW: Samsung is releasing the retail version of the SM951, namely the 950 Pro. It has even better specs and also a black PCB with a black label, instead of green and white. These are going to arrive in the beginning of October.

Awesome…!

I am hoping they keep the M.2 on the front of the board. I REALLY want to use a Samsung SM951 in my next build (DAN Case A4-SFX), but do not want it to be throttling back in throughput because it is sandwiched between components on the backside of the board…
On the back of the board, you can add some thermal pads (or copper shims) to couple it to the chassis. That's more than enough heatsinking for an SSD.

Awesome news, thanks Phuncz :)

Back