Asus ROG Maximus VII Impact

It was mentioned to be expected in stores in August, probably mid-August.

Does any one know if the impact vii will be compatible and bootable with NVMe SSDs? I ask because it sounds like there have been issues getting some SSDs to boot from some M.2 drives and I wanted to make sure my plan wasn't fundamentally flawed like NVMe doesn't support booting or some such.

I wanted a M.2 drive in a mini itx case with a PCIe x4 connection and the impact vii seems to be the only one around...

Does any one know if the impact vii will be compatible and bootable with NVMe SSDs? I ask because it sounds like there have been issues getting some SSDs to boot from some M.2 drives and I wanted to make sure my plan wasn't fundamentally flawed like NVMe doesn't support booting or some such.

I wanted a M.2 drive in a mini itx case with a PCIe x4 connection and the impact vii seems to be the only one around...

The Z97-i supports it so I would expect the impact to. If it doesn't at launch a BIOS update will sort it out.

i for one am really tired of waiting for this.... sigh

might just go z97i-plus

Does anyone know if using a M.2 SSD as below will limit my gpu bandwidth to pcie 3.0 8x?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=072253

I've read it does and I've also read it uses a pcie 2.0 lane directly to the CPU.

I know pcie lanes is not very important but running a 295x2 i rather keep my 16x gen 3

Not sure if relevant: it uses SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), not the real M.2 pcie speeds

Last edited:
Minor Update/Audio Chipset finding!
According To Hardware Canucks The audio chipset for the Maximus VII Gene is Realtek ALC1150 based. If we do have the exact same audio as the Maximus VII Gene then this part of the review is pretty relevant to us and gives us some insight of whats to come!! :D
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ximus-vii-gene-z97-motherboard-review-14.html

I could have told you that. Pretty much all of ASUS' boards use a Realtek ALC1150. And specifically all of the ROG boards use this CODEC at present. There are differences in implementation from one brand to the next and between ASUS' ROG boards and the standard retail channel offerings.

wi-fi connectors have no bracket, they screw into the i/o shield?! How do you do that once the mobo is in the case?

Probably the same way as most motherboards with onboard WiFi like the Impact VI:

Maximus-VI-Impact10.jpg

5686_09_asus_rog_maximus_vi_impact_intel_z87_mini_itx_motherboard_review.jpg

I don't see how it's a problem, you install the I/O shield at the same time as you install the motherboard. The WiFi card is included with the internal antenna terminals and the external antenna.

No, this mobo is different. Wi-fi connectors are not pre-mounted on a bracket. You have to screw them into the I/O shield after installation, and that seems very difficult or impossible in some cases.

Please show us why you say it is different from the Impact VI.

No, this mobo is different. Wi-fi connectors are not pre-mounted on a bracket. You have to screw them into the I/O shield after installation, and that seems very difficult or impossible in some cases.
You have to do the same for the VI Impact

Please show us why you say it is different from the Impact VI.

It's different in a number of ways. New chipset, updated audio solution, M.2 support, updated voltage / electrical design etc.

I didn't mean the the features of the motherboard, I meant what's different about installing the wireless antenna on the Impact VII and Impact VI ?

That was also my assumption but reb00tin seems to have more info on this board because he/she stated it is different. If someone is so certain to use bold type, they must be pretty sure about their point so I assumed I was wrong in expecting it was exactly the same as with the Impact VI.

I didn't mean the the features of the motherboard, I meant what's different about installing the wireless antenna on the Impact VII and Impact VI ?

I never mentioned Impact VI. I'm comparing with mini-ITX mobos in general that have wifi connectors pre-mounted. If you mentally rehearse the installation, you may notice that mounting the loose wifi connectors will be very difficult or impossible.

I never mentioned Impact VI. I'm comparing with mini-ITX mobos in general that have wifi connectors pre-mounted. If you mentally rehearse the installation, you may notice that mounting the loose wifi connectors will be very difficult or impossible.
How do you know it's not pre-mounted for the VII Impact ?

That's my point: I've read no complaints about installing it on the Impact VI, which uses the same type of install apparently. You make it seem like it's such an impossible or hard task, while it is not.

1. you can install the SMA connectors on the I/O shield after installing the motherboard in the case. This may require tweezers to put the SMA connector in and then screw the nut on from the outside.
2. you can install the SMA connectors on the I/O shield before installing the motherboard in the case. You detach the cables from the WiFi card OR you remove the WiFi card and can easily attach the SMA connectors.

Not really that hard or impossible when you have done one or two computer installs that go beyond the absolute basic.

i am waiting on this board and no release date yet. why?

Asus says Q3. So the only real difference i can see is the M.2 and the ability to upgrade your CPU one more time when broadwell comes out correct?

It has also improved a little:

Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
It's different in a number of ways. New chipset, updated audio solution, M.2 support, updated voltage / electrical design etc.

So nothing really worth upgrading to plus i already use a M.2 drive on my Impact i wont be upgrading it for some time so the PCI-e support i have no use for.

If you don't care about the upgraded audio and power deliverance, than no, not worth it.

Last edited:
I love my PS/2 port. I can turn my computer on with a press of a key from a PS/2 keyboard, on from being shut-down, not from standby or hibernate.

Hehe, I guess you don't have your PC inside a media cabinet. Wireless PS/2 keyboard is my power button. ;)

Back