Asus ROG Maximus VII Impact

NVMe is not just for servers, it lowers the general latency which will improve responsiveness. While it won't be as big a jump as going from HDD to SDD, it will allow even faster performance and reduce storage bottlenecks even more.

While it might not be needed now, a brand new technology rarely is in the beginning. And without early adopters, no mass market. And without mass market, no progress. Don't forget SSD's were once considered "server use only" because of it's price. It's only because the lower price and tangeable benefits that it is now in almost every enthusiast's PC. Just like multi-core processors and NAS devices.

Doesn't help unfortunatly, still not seen by BIOS or by installer.

That is odd. My SM951 showed up first time.
Maybe you should check the mPCIe Combo IV then. Maybe it is not plugged in correctly.
I saw on a forum another person had to RMA their board due to faulty connector.

That is odd. My SM951 showed up first time.
Maybe you should check the mPCIe Combo IV then. Maybe it is not plugged in correctly.
I saw on a forum another person had to RMA their board due to faulty connector.

Good idea.
My first attempt at a Samsung XP941 installation last year was thwarted by a faulty mPCIe Combo connection. Inserting the mPCIe Combo into the motherboard socket is an extremely tight fit. In my case things were so tight that two of the pins got pushed up far enough as to not make proper contact. Result: My XP941 was not detected. ASUS replaced the motherboard and things have been running smoothly ever since.

Also, it is vital that the RAMCITY instructions be followed to the letter.

Good luck..

Can anyone confirm that only the CPU header is in fact PWM? Is CHA 1 not PWM capable?

Can anyone confirm that only the CPU header is in fact PWM? Is CHA 1 not PWM capable?
If the manual says +5V for the fourth pin, it is a voltage regulated header, you can compare that to the description of the cpu header that properly says PWM on the fourth pin.

Is the Impact Power II plugin required or only necessary for extreme overclocking?
I have a 4790k but don't plan on doing any crazy overclocking.

The thing that plugs in at the "top" of the board, perpendicular to the RAM.

That's the processor's VRM-board. As far as I know, that thing is soldered and without it, wouldn't allow the CPU to function. It's not a power-enhancer or anything gimmicky like that, they are the voltage regulators needed to provide a stable voltage.

Oh. well darn.
I'm looking up air coolers that will fit without issue in the ncase M1 and it appears the only only one is the Noctua NH-C12P

Not sure if I need this if I am not really OC'ing a 4970k to insane levels.

Oh. well darn.
I'm looking up air coolers that will fit without issue in the ncase M1 and it appears the only only one is the Noctua NH-C12P

In my signature, you can see my current hardware:

● Ncase M1 - N° 0796
● Asus Maximus VII Impact
● Intel Core i5-4670K
● Scythe Kabuto 2 (NF-F12 PWM fan)

Pics: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041423342#post1041423342

I would consider the Scythe Kabuto 2 that fits without issue, while still allowing 3,5" drives, a second 120mm fan or maybe even a 120mm CLC for the GPU.

Oh wow I didn't see that.
So your setup is extremely close to what I plan to be running as my v3 case is on the way~

VII Impact
EVGA GTX 780 stock
(1) ssd
(2) 4TB hdd
Silverstone SFX 450 gold

Any reason you went with the Kabuto 2 instead of the NH-C12P?
I do need the (2) 3.5" hard drives cage

The price was about two times that of the Kabuto and it seemed to fit nicely with the board in the Ncase.
Both the Kabuto II and the NH-C12P are discontinued though, get them while they last !

I need some help from anyone with a Maximus Vii Impact + i7 4790K/4770K.
Could someone please run a quick test for me?

When running a CPU stress test, what does TDP read in Intel XTU, or alternatively Power value under Core Temp?

I need some help from anyone with a Maximus Vii Impact + i7 4790K/4770K.
Could someone please run a quick test for me?

When running a CPU stress test, what does TDP read in Intel XTU, or alternatively Power value under Core Temp?

I have the ASUS Z87i-Deluxe board and not the VII Impact, but for a reference, my stock 4790k jumps from ~3W to around 56W in Core Temp when I start AIDA64 stress tests.

One of my RAM slots failed recently. Having a RAM in my DIMM A1 slot will give me a Q-Code of 55. I've tested it with both sticks of RAM. Both sticks work in B1 slot. I've contacted ASUS support, and the first agent asked me to purchase new RAM on the qualified vendors list to test A1... ASUS support is totally being unreasonable.

Why not get it replaced by the shop you bought it from ?
Could Amazon replace something I bought last September?

Now ASUS want me to respond with my address, phone, model and serial of the product, where I purchased the product, and the summary of the problem I was having. Basically stuff that they already know when I first opened the support ticket! Then they will set-up my RMA service. Well, if I could return or exchange with Amazon, I would definitely do that!

I have the ASUS Z87i-Deluxe board and not the VII Impact, but for a reference, my stock 4790k jumps from ~3W to around 56W in Core Temp when I start AIDA64 stress tests.

Thanks, but the case I am looking into is more specific for the Maximus Vii impact.

I find it particular that my CPU in this MB barely pass 40W, even in the most stressful tests.
I have seen several screenshots of the CPU in other mainboards where it get closer to the 88 TDP rating. I am running with the internal GPU at the moment.
I found that this is also influencing the Power limit, that is to turn off Turbo when exceeding the limit as well.

Amazon's website tells me that my return window has closed.

Aren't returns meant for returning a product soon after buying for various reasons ? You'd need technical support and claim warranty. Something that's broken shouldn't be 'returned', it should be replaced or fixed, via tech support.

Aren't returns meant for returning a product soon after buying for various reasons ? You'd need technical support and claim warranty. Something that's broken shouldn't be 'returned', it should be replaced or fixed, via tech support.
Darp darp darp... Aren't you the one who suggested for me to go to the store I bought it from and get it replaced? I was already in the process of trying to get it RMAed before I read your suggestion... Darp darp!!

Darp darp darp... Aren't you the one who suggested for me to go to the store I bought it from and get it replaced? I was already in the process of trying to get it RMAed before I read your suggestion... Darp darp!!

Lol :D Yeah, I'm pretty sure Amazon US only allows returns (for whatever reason) within 30 days of purchase, so you're likely stuck with the misfortune of dealing with ASUS. I'd still try contacting an Amazon rep about it, just for the hell of it.. sometimes they like to go above and beyond what any sane retailer would be willing to do.

After reading the many ASUS RMA horror stories around here, I'd highly recommend taking a few dozen million photos of your board before shipping it out to them. Honestly, good luck and hope you get it back in one piece sometime this year.

I am running with the internal GPU at the moment.
I found that this is also influencing the Power limit, that is to turn off Turbo when exceeding the limit as well.

Weird. Are your results when running stock settings in the BIOS? I noticed that even changing some of the basic settings (in BIOS or in AiSuite, if installed) would cause Turbo clocks to be off from Intel defaults. At stock, your 4790k should drop down to 4.2GHz when stress testing all 4 cores, whether on iGPU or not (as long as it isn't throttling from ~100C temps).

Weird. Are your results when running stock settings in the BIOS? I noticed that even changing some of the basic settings (in BIOS or in AiSuite, if installed) would cause Turbo clocks to be off from Intel defaults. At stock, your 4790k should drop down to 4.2GHz when stress testing all 4 cores, whether on iGPU or not (as long as it isn't throttling from ~100C temps).

At stock levels, the CPU overheat beyond what I feel is safe when running any stress test (OCCT reached 117C before auto shutdown), including AIDA, prime 26.6 and XTU. I sent i back for RMA, and they didn't find anything wrong with the CPU in their ASUS Z87-Pro and a Zalman cooler it didn't reach more than 83C even at 4x4,4GHz, so they returned it to me. I tested again, still overheating with undervolting Vcore to 1.05V (turned off tests when it reached over 95C on core).
Sent back the MOBO+CPU+RAM. They see the same overheating. Even on a new board from a different batch, it does the same. They are now checking with Asus.

Yes, I am running the stock cooler, and I know it doesn't perform well. I am going to upgrade sooner or later, but I wanted to trade the additional cooling for more silent fans.
If all fails, I will ask for a refund, and wait to see how Skylake perform. I have other computers...

Last edited:
ASUS just charged me $120 + $10 shipping to get my motherboard fixed, because they claim it's not covered under warranty... Never getting another ASUS mobo ever again!

The sound card indeed has a headphone amplifier built-in, for the frontpanel audio connector only.

ASUS just charged me $120 + $10 shipping to get my motherboard fixed, because they claim it's not covered under warranty... Never getting another ASUS mobo ever again!

Ouch.. sorry to hear that. Wonder why in the hell a faulty RAM slot wouldn't be covered by their warranty?

ASUS has to have one of the worst support/service departments in the entire industry :rolleyes:

Seems like Asus are stalling with answering my retailer as well. Over two weeks now, and nothing.
(Retailer keeps sending me updates about hearing nothing...)

Have used Asus motherboards for a while now, but I am not impressed with this one.
Though, I have had dodgy Asus mainboard before, but that has usually been production issues,
which a simple replacement would fix.

Oh. well darn.

The nh-c14 fits it fine with heatpipes towards i/o panel side and only use the bottom fan.. . Top fan only lower temps 2-3 degrees if that even
Just replace the fan with something nice if you wanna really overclock and/or want pwm I use the 2000rpm industrial on bottom [had to ask noctua for the 140mm fan wires since the stick is 120mm holes but they send em quickly] ,keep it at about 1500 - 1700 tops not super loud , but if not gaming well below that when high static pressure & constant hd cooling isn't really needed ..

Not sure if new c14S would since M1 case says cooler may not protrude more than 10mm past board edge , and since the S version has been redesigned with offsest I think it may infact.

Also not sure but a big shuriken would fit except for height wise but with another normal 25x120mm fan on top with good static pressure would be a very close call good cooler for normal range overclocking kinda cheap too bout 50$ with another fan added in just not quite as extreme of a cooler as above mentioned. Yeah amazon has em and even if you wanted to keep that fan they are known to break quickly so upgrade sametime best idea. . Corsair high perf or even an enermax tp are good I dont think corsair is pwm
- But these are the only two coolers I would consider ever for this application, this mb and low height requirement overclocking.

Last edited:
*derp*

My restriction is that I need to have the 3.5" cage :)
I mentioned that on and off in my replies.

But at any rate, my order was cancelled twice (eBay seller douchery) so I won't be on it for a bit~

Back