ASUS ROG Maximus IX Extreme $60 after rebate and coupon code!

If you are modding the bios yourself, then you should be fine.

I was mainly referring to the pre-made modded bios thread from hwbot.org. I'm kinda wrapped up in three other forums about this mod and forgot that hwbot forum wasn't mention here.

Anyhow, if anyone needs dsanke modded bios. It can be found in their Russian discord under "intel-mod-bios".

PII Discord link

There is a new version (1901) that was released last month.

Here is my google drive link to it from my burner gmail account that has 1704, 1801, and 1901.

Been doing research on this mod. Seems like its an Apex X bios modded for Apex IX? Is that true? And that you have to use a flash programmer clip to flash it? Looks like a coffee lake mod.

Last edited:
Been doing research on this mod. Seems like its an Apex X bios modded for Apex IX? Is that true? And that you have to use a flash programmer clip to flash it? Looks like a coffee lake mod.

Yea. It is a coffee lake mod.

You can use a flash programmer device or use ASUS flashback method.

Funny I actually ran the 1301 through coffeetime auto coffe lake unlocker tool few days before I got the board.
Was going to do the mod but shorting out pins on a cpu isnt actually something I would like to do. I know that
the 8350K and maybe the 9350K don't need hard mods on the cpu pins but the performance advantage wasn't
worth it to me as I already owned a 6700K. The other problem that makes me worry that Flashback may not work is that theres the possibility
certain regions will be locked in the existing bios. Second to that you may lose your mac addresses and serial numbers
in the bios if you flash that bios over cold. I know that the coffetime utility will transfer those details over to your new bios.

Anyhow sounds interesting but like to see how it goes for you first before I go ahead.

Thanks

Anyhow sounds interesting but like to see how it goes for you first before I go ahead.

There is no reason to wait on me. There are already dozens and dozens of other users who have successfully done it.

Finally got around to modding the Maximus IX Apex.

Flashed with dsanke's latest bios mod V2003.

Running a spare 9900K pretty nicely.

Last edited:
I'm going to go next. Got a copy of 2003 and all my descriptors are unlocked!

Did you go with the SPI Programmer method? If so, which bios chip did you flash for bios 1? The left or the right chip?

Yes I went the SPI Programmer method using a FlashcatUsb device and I flashed both bios chips because bios #2 gives you a double post so I went with Bios #1 in the end. As for my memory overclocking I figured that out too.

Yes I went the SPI Programmer method using a FlashcatUsb device and I flashed both bios chips because bios #2 gives you a double post so I went with Bios #1 in the end. As for my memory overclocking I figured that out too.

Were you successful in removing the pci-e retention clip without breaking it?

I didnt have to remove any pci-e clips.

Oh perhaps I am mistaken which are the bios chips.

I thought there were under the 3rd PCI-e x16 retention clip that are label Winbond 1712.

I picked up a SPI programmer and plan on going that route for my friend's board when it comes in.

Last edited:
Oh perhaps I am mistaken which are the bios chips.

I thought there were under the 3rd PCI-e x16 retention clip that are label Winbond 1712.

I picked up a SPI programmer and plan on going that route for my friend's board when it comes in.

It’s located immediately to the right of the fourth pci-e slot. Check out Tweaktown review for full board layout.

It’s located immediately to the right of the fourth pci-e slot. Check out Tweaktown review for full board layout.

I think we are talking about the same spot perhaps.

I just realized there is a copy bios to bios feature.

So I'm guessing you flashed the bios 2 chip and then within the bios, you copy Bios 2 -> Bios 1?

No I used the 9 pin header to access and flash the bios chips by using pitch header wire to custom wire Clk to clk, so to si, cs to cs, etc. Had to use a jumper to select which bios i wanted to flash. Jump pin 1-2 for bios 2 and pins 2-3 for bios 2. Did this all with a Flashcat Usb programmer.

Anyone finally get their coffeelake mod going? Was wondering how your vid voltages are being reported and if your having any stability issues?
Thanks

Back