ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX GAMING Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX GAMING Video Card Review - Today we examine in full detail our first custom GeForce GTX 1080 video card. ASUS has decked the ROG GTX 1080 STRIX GAMING out with a factory overclock, the STRIX cooling system, and fully customizable lights to enhance your style points. Let's see this beast overclock and compare it to the previous gen's GTX 980 Ti and Radeon R9 Fury X.

Now the next step is to overclock the overclocked 980 Ti and compare it to the overclock, to see how the overclock compares to the overclock :eek:
Shit, the 980ti you used in this review boosts almost 100MHz faster than what I could squeeze out of my 980ti in my rig now. I've been debating on getting a 1080 to replace it, boost up my FPS a bit for my new 4k monitor.

So which game in your testing used the full 8GB framebuffer as indicated by the last screenshot on page 11?

Man, newegg already jacked the price up, plus they are sold out.

Hope to see more great AIB reviews soon! I like that they switched to two HDMI ports instead of one like the FE cards. VR headsets are hungry for them.

Any chance of some 4K numbers? Be interesting to know if the scaling is about the same there as 1440p. Looks like one of these would mean much smoother 4K when I get time to play through some FO4 DLC packs.

Now the next step is to overclock the overclocked 980 Ti and compare it to the overclock, to see how the overclock compares to the overclock :eek:

You already did a MAX OC for the 980ti STRIX in this Review back in September. The percentage of improvement you get out of overclocking a 980ti to the MAX looks to be similar to what you get when overclocking a 1080 to the MAX.

With the 980tis already dropping into the Mid $400s - they are looking to be more competitive with the 1070s than the 1080s.

Man, newegg already jacked the price up, plus they are sold out.

Hope to see more great AIB reviews soon! I like that they switched to two HDMI ports instead of one like the FE cards. VR headsets are hungry for them.

Any chance of some 4K numbers? Be interesting to know if the scaling is about the same there as 1440p. Looks like one of these would mean much smoother 4K when I get time to play through some FO4 DLC packs.

I think that's the price from a third party vendor. Once Newegg gets them back in stock the price will revert back to what NE is selling them for which is $679.

"looking for" is the correct term, because good luck finding one. Especially for the MSRP.

lol the one thing though i've taken from this whole thing is that overclocking it beyond what this card already comes with seems to be a waste. across the board it was 4.1% about 4 fps difference in minimum and average frame rate with no added quality increases(since it's maxed out all the games tested). pretty good job on ASUS's end to find the highest performance without having to go nuts on voltage. i do wonder though with the stock OC settings if setting it to power limit slightly higher solves the boost frequency bouncing around compared to how much smoother it was with the max overclock or is it just temp related due to the fans being auto capped at 59%?

If only they were available for sale, guess the few that do actually get made are given away for testing so we can drool some more about something we can't find in shops.

If I did not have a g-sync monitor I would seriously consider getting dual RX480's as they might actually be available.

If only they were available for sale, guess the few that do actually get made are given away for testing so we can drool some more about something we can't find in shops.

If I did not have a g-sync monitor I would seriously consider getting dual RX480's as they might actually be available.
I just talked to NVIDIA about 1080 supply, and they are very aware that these are hard to get. They explained that they have had the fastest production ramp up of any desktop GPU they have ever done, surpassing the 980's production ramp.

Great review. With some titles it seems this card is overkill at 1440p. I would have liked to see the 4K numbers as I own a 4k monitor. Where was Doom, even at 1440p? I guess I'll find out soon enough when my strix 1080 comes in, hopefully any day now.

From the performance of the NV 10 series cards, its clear Gameworks came out a year early!

Did not know the Witcher 3 has an SMAA Ultra mode or is this just an Reshade injector?

Hey, do you guys run the built in benchmark for RotTR or do you have your own playthrough that you run on each card?

Very nice review. Seems like the card is good to go straight from the box, the additional OCing yielding 5.1% or less increase. Agree, looks like over kill for 1440p - 4K and SLI reviews?

This just begs for the 980Ti and FuryX to be priced dropped significantly. As for supply and actual price on the street - it is too high.

I've got an MSI Armor OC arriving tomorrow. Excited to see how it matches up in terms of overclock, temps and noise.

On the supply question, don't worry, we'll see more shortly. From what I've heard from a couple sources, nV has a gentlemen's agreement with AIBs to focus on moving FE versions until tomorrow.

I've got an MSI Armor OC arriving tomorrow. Excited to see how it matches up in terms of overclock, temps and noise.

On the supply question, don't worry, we'll see more shortly. From what I've heard from a couple sources, nV has a gentlemen's agreement with AIBs to focus on moving FE versions until tomorrow.

The shop I usually buy from gets around 5 cards/week atm, and they have 20+ on backorder so do the math) probably mostly F.E.'s so I have been looking for another source, but they just say there is barely any stock in the whole of Europe, I could get a founders edition, but I have already high enough temps in my pc so I'd rather get MSI's Gaming x version which when they do arrive should be in ample supply, but no one can tell me when that would be.

My aging 780 can barely keep up in 1080p let alone 1440.

The shop I usually buy from gets around 5 cards/week atm, and they have 20+ on backorder so do the math) probably mostly F.E.'s so I have been looking for another source, but they just say there is barely any stock in the whole of Europe, I could get a founders edition, but I have already high enough temps in my pc so I'd rather get MSI's Gaming x version which when they do arrive should be in ample supply, but no one can tell me when that would be.

My aging 780 can barely keep up in 1080p let alone 1440.

Weird...UK has ample stock for some reason (and yes, this was even before DJ Brexit took the floor). There's not been a day since launch when I couldn't buy a 1080 or 1070 from multiple vendors. Right now there are 10 different models I can choose from across 4 vendors, and even three AIB versions (including MSI 1080 Gaming x) that are in stock.

Hopefully it isn't a flop overclocker like my Armor 980ti!

"looking for" is the correct term, because good luck finding one. Especially for the MSRP.

NewEgg: $719. "Not available."

Supposedly, the RX480 is shipping in volumes 25x that of NVIDIA's monsters. I strongly suspect NVIDIA is throttling supply Because They Can (no high-end competition from DAAMIT for several generations now).

Great review. With some titles it seems this card is overkill at 1440p. I would have liked to see the 4K numbers as I own a 4k monitor. Where was Doom, even at 1440p? I guess I'll find out soon enough when my strix 1080 comes in, hopefully any day now.

I think when Kyle made some posts in the DooM forum it was mentioned how well DooM scales on older hardware. A very well optimized game. It would be cool to see some benchmarks in DooM... but I think the 1080 was only working it's butt at 50% lol

Does the recommended 850w PSU seem somewhat high to anyone else? I realize the test bed was a sparsely populated setup, but it only drew 325 overclocked.

I have a 760w and was thinking it would be enough. So I'm curious about this as well since this is the card I want.

NewEgg: $719. "Not available."

Supposedly, the RX480 is shipping in volumes 25x that of NVIDIA's monsters. I strongly suspect NVIDIA is throttling supply Because They Can (no high-end competition from DAAMIT for several generations now).
I never really understood that. I and others would have spent money weeks ago if there had been stock. How does making people wait help?

Agreed. The elevated $679 on page 1 of the article links to a $719 price that is not available. Maybe the link should instead state "price: variable, but high, and rarely in stock"!

On another note, why does GPU-Z show the bus operating at x16 3.0 but the ROG software's VGA info reports x16 1.1? Did the updated version of the ROG software now correctly identify the bus version for your motherboard?

Last edited:
Thank you Kyle and co. I've been waiting for [H] review of these custom cards.
Hopefully there will be more to come. A review for Gigabyte 1080 xtreme would be lovely. :D

Weapon Debris is showing as enabled on the Fury X on Fallout 4 - I thought this was an NV only option?

If not ignore me!

Finally, in the conclusion you say the 1080 runs cooler than the competition which isn't exactly true as the Fury X is running at 53c (albeit on water)

Feel free to tell me I'm a picky bastard! :D

Is there a high end variant of these cards that don't blast all the heat into the case? All these super pimp cooler designs are great, but they're pretty useless in a cramped micro build where blower/rear exhaust would be preferred.

:wideyed: Damn, this new Pascal is impressive.

With every [H] review I read, it sheds more and more light about just how strong it is in regards to Performance Per Watt.

Remember when the Fiji lineup was announced and all the AMDolts were Furyously meat-beating over it? The mighty X can't even edge out a factory OC'd 980Ti that carried around the same price tag upon its release.
...All those friction burns and blood drawn for nothing. :LOL:

I'm really looking forward to the full Pascal (GP200?) Titan and 1080Ti releases, as well as the HBM2-equipped Vega. We ain't seen nothin' yet! :cool:

Sorry Kyle, but your graphics card is in another castle.

Links to bad information removed. See below for official response from ASUS. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back