ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme Intel LGA 3647 for Xeon W-3175X - only $1649.24 @ Amazon.com - Only 4 Left

STEM

Gawd
There really isn't much to say about this, except that this is an $1800 motherboard that's been discounted by about $150. If you're in the market for one anyway, then I guess every bit that you can save is welcome. Otherwise, for what this is the price is absolutely astronomical, bordering on the ridiculous.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or for about the same money you can pick up a 24-core Threadripper 2970WX + an ASUS ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA from Micro Center, and use the difference for a lot of other things.

Hurry, before someone else buys 'em all. Only 4 left in stock at this super-low price!!!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
price is nuts but that board also has every feature you could ever think of and then some. and it's faster than the threadripper in a lot of benchmarks and scenarios, but definitely neither one is a clear winner. I still can't really think of how anyone can justify the price discrepancy though.... A threadripper board can be had for as low as what, $250? When you factor in the price of the board and the chip, the Intel part looks ridiculously dumb.

price is nuts but that board also has every feature you could ever think of and then some. and it's faster than the threadripper in a lot of benchmarks and scenarios, but definitely neither one is a clear winner. I still can't really think of how anyone can justify the price discrepancy though.... A threadripper board can be had for as low as what, $250? When you factor in the price of the board and the chip, the Intel part looks ridiculously dumb.

The XEON is a server part and of the highest tier they make.

Instead of comparing this chip to threadripper it should be compared to Epyc.

Saw it all now. Intel hate in the deal forums

I don't hate Intel. Considering how expensive the platform is, I believe that any kind of savings are welcome.

In fact, Intel will release 10 core Comet Lake on the mainstream platform, effectively cannibalizing Skylake-X. I'm revamping my workstations and I'm actually considering a 9900K for my daily driver and a 2950X for my virtualization related projects. I haven't made a final decision a about this.

I love technology, but I also have a sense of humor.

For the price I would expect a couple of PLX chips and 6 or 7 PCI-E slots. After all, no one is buying something like this to game. At this price it can't even do 4 x 16 PCI-E, and I can think of a few scenarios where that would come in handy, like massive NVME RAID arrays. Speaking of, I think you still need a VROC key to use the feature.

I don't think that the W-3175X can be directly compared directly to anything. On one hand, if you're Windows user and need a lot of cores clocked at a decent speed, this is your best option. On the other hand, it's difficult to cool, it ships with thermal paste pre-applied, meaning that Intel put no effort into this part other than binning the hell out of their largest monolithic core.

EPYC isn't really a competitor for this because it's not unlocked and is not designed to run at high clock speeds. Even hosting providers are using EPYC very little because most folks lease 1GB to 4Gb VPS that come with one or two cores, and they need to be fast. When you host one or two websites and run NGINX, PHP and MySQL or MariaDB, unless the provider gives you a bunch of cores, a couple of fast cores will do the job. Anyway, I'm way outside of the scope of the discussion here.
A

It's absolutely NOT a server part, this is a workstation chip, hence the W in the name. It's sole purpose is to compete with the threadripper 2970WX and 2990wx....

It's absolutely NOT a server part, this is a workstation chip, hence the W in the name. It's sole purpose is to compete with the threadripper 2970WX and 2990wx....

It's a server chip. Do you even know what repurpose means?

I can call a Truck a car but it's still a Truck.

This is a Xeon server chip that was ran through a little re-engineering.

Oh boy let's add the letter D to an Epyc and now it's a Desktop chip or let's add W to Xeon and all of the sudden it's a workstation chip.

This is a knee jerk bullshit reaction to AMD and nothing more.

If they wanted to compete they would have ignored AMD and kept busting thier asses on getting 10nm out the door.

I would argue that any processor is a workstation chip. This is just a battle of semantics.

Just because one army wins a battle doesnt mean they win the war. Intel won a wee wee cock size battle with AMD but AMD has legit 7nm while Intel is just going to add another plus to the 14

Last edited:
Reactions: STEM
like this

It's a very expensive part, the W-3175X that is. However, the $3000 price point is actually digestible of you need the performance, not so much the platform. And this is not Intel's fault. Motherboard manufacturers saw dollar signs when Intel announced this, as the chipset isn't that expensive. Intel gave manufacturers a reference design, however, no one held a gun to the manufacturer's heads, as evidenced by EVGA's upcoming E-ATX motherboard that implements a more common sense design.

ASUS raised prices on their high-end boards, again, because of profit. I just bought an ASUS ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA (what a terrible name) for the simple reason that I hate, absolutely hate the afterthought that the cooling is for the first ZENITH EXTREME. I think it's nice that ASUS regularly updates the firmware on the first ZENITH EXTREME, RAM compatibility has improved, and the PCI-E layout is that of a workstation motherboard. But the ALPHA is $649!!! I paid $626 for it on NewEgg, and I'm wondering if I should return it or not because I haven't even opened the package yet. Other than the high price, the PCI-E layout is garbage. If I use the M.2 slot on the motherboard, the last PCI-E slot will be neutered to 4X. That's exactly the slot I need for my LSI 9360-8i controller for my SSD cached RAID 50 HDD array (6 HDDs and 2 SSDs). I like that it has a far better 8 phase VRM design than the first ZENITH EXTREME (it's 16 power 60A power stages, no doublers). The 10GBit NIC is built in now, so that frees up one slot, but then ASUS had to mess up the rest of the PCI-E layout. The cherry on top is that the Intel version, the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega has an even worse PCI-E layout where you get 16x8x8 if you use all three, and only three available PCI-E slots. Even the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II gives you 16x16x8 when all slots are used, for "just" $499, the Omega being $749. Case in point, all of these motherboards are overpriced for what they are. Hell, some of the Gigabyte Z390 boards have better VRMs than these HEDT motherboards from ASUS. I should really hang up my ASUS fanboy hat and move on.

There was no re-engineering involved. Intel took the Xeon 8180, binned the shit out of it so it can be overclocked, and made it a single socket chip. Intel didn't even bother to solder it because it comes off the same production line as the 8180. So basically all the 8180s and derived CPUs that don't make it as 8180s are manufactured on the same line. Then they are binned, and Intel uses capacitors and resistors on the backside of the chip in order to set the model number, number of enabled cores, number of sockets it can be used in and so on. This chip is nothing more than a derivate of the Xeon 8180. Sadly for Intel, the silicon quality has to be up there in the top 5% or so for a Xeon 8180 to become a Xeon W-3175X, so it's not really a money maker for them. They still make a ton of money on it, but not the stupid money they make on the 8180.

Well, Intel doesn't have anything that competes directly with X399, though they could if they would give up on the VROC Key bullshit, and if they would release a 10nm CPU refresh for X299. But Intel being Intel, they will kill X299 with a new chipset and a new socket for their 10nm CPUs, whenever they're coming. Oh, and I know, I know, PCI-E 4.0. Well, they could always make their CPUs backwards compatible like AMD does. And I'm not even trying to be funny.

I would argue that any processor is a workstation chip. This is just a battle of semantics.

The way these overpriced motherboards are built for the W-3175X is more like for heavy duty overclocking for folks who like to break records. The problem with that is this: if you're one of those people you will want sponsorships to overclock the snot out of that CPU, otherwise it's not worth it. Putting your own money to drag such expensive hardware to overclocking competitions is stupid. So this is a workstation CPU like a 2990WX is a gaming chip.

It's a server chip. Do you even know what repurpose means?

I can call a Truck a car but it's still a Truck.

Oh boy let's add the letter D to an Epyc and now it's a Desktop chip or let's add W to Xeon and all of the sudden it's a workstation chip.

If they wanted to compete they would have ignored AMD and kept busting thier asses on getting 10nm out the door.

Just because one army wins a battle doesnt mean they win the war. Intel won a wee wee cock size battle with AMD but AMD has legit 7nm while Intel is just going to add another plus to the 14

Regardless if you want to call it a workstation chip or not, this is absolutely not aimed at the server market, it's aimed directly at the enthusiast market...

Regardless if you want to call it a workstation chip or not, this is absolutely not aimed at the server market, it's aimed directly at the enthusiast market...

Oh, so it's like Cummins or Caterpillar selling their heavy-duty Diesel engines to the drag racing crown, with a dozen fire extinguishers and the following words of wisdom attached to each sale: "Hey, if you can make it rev, you'll be able to pull of the line and drag race with it. You might not finish first, but you'll look cool while trying!"

You know if money was no object I would sure as hell buy this lol.

Same here, though with a twist: there is that nagging feeling in the back of my head that it's still a Skylake based CPU with toothpaste under the IHS (security vulnerabilities and all). Though I wouldn't have any weird NUMA and memory latency issues like with the 2970WX/2990WX. So yes, definitively, if money was no object :D

Back