ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME on the HardOCP Test Bench

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am getting the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME onto the test bench this morning for testing. I was very surprised to see a "flat" ATX 24-pin power supply socket down on the board. For those of you looking to make some cleaner builds, this will certainly work out nicely.

Check out the pictures.

Also worth mentioning is that we are using the XSPC Threadripper RayStorm waterblock on our Ryzen 7 system....because we can. XSPC did mention to me that the hold-down mechanism that will be sold with the TR4 RayStorm block will have the AM4 socket mounts removed. Boo! That said, it would not be hard to drill your own to make this work. And yes, the Threadripper TR4 RayStorm block "cools the hell" right out of the Ryzen 7 processor.

Last edited:
Does anyone make something like the eVGA "Power Link" for a 24 pin ATX? Seems like it'd be a popular item.

Hope it rates better than the original Crosshair VI in the review. Kind of looks like that board stunk up the place over there.

I was very surprised to see a "flat" ATX 24-pin power supply socket down on the board. For those of you looking to make some cleaner builds, this will certainly work out nicely.

OMG.....why isn't everyone doing this on their mobos......so much cleaner looking!

I was very surprised to see a "flat" ATX 24-pin power supply socket down on the board. For those of you looking to make some cleaner builds, this will certainly work out nicely.

OMG.....why isn't everyone doing this on their mobos......so much cleaner looking!
I know. Just stands to reason on the cable management. So much cleaner. I could see on a small case with no room but usually the ATX connector winds up being an eyesore. Duh!

I know. Just stands to reason on the cable management. So much cleaner. I could see on a small case with no room but usually the ATX connector winds up being an eyesore. Duh!

Less than 1% of pc users care what the inside of their cases looks like. That's the problem, no reason to change. I also suspect breakage as a concern as now all of the force in the rear power pins when inserting the plug versus the board itself.

Hope it rates better than the original Crosshair VI in the review. Kind of looks like that board stunk up the place over there.

I read the review and have no trouble believing Kyle accurately reported his experience.

That said my experience has been good, though part of me wishes I had waited for this board.

I had wanted the ASRock Taichi with them never being in stock the Asus was my 3rd pick. It has done very well for me.

EVGA was doing it for several years. It's about time another high end manufacturer picks up on the trend.

Less than 1% of pc users care what the inside of their cases looks like. That's the problem, no reason to change. I also suspect breakage as a concern as now all of the force in the rear power pins when inserting the plug versus the board itself.
That 1% of pc users that do care what's inside of their case are the ones buying motherboards like this and building the machines themselves.

I suspect the main reason it's not common is because it takes up nearly double the space of a vertical socket due to the angled leads, and there isn't always enough room in the case to connect or route a 24-pin connector from the side.

I've already got the Apex; very interested in the results you come up with here, Kyle.

I've already got the Apex; very interested in the results you come up with here, Kyle.
Excellent results and experience so far. No problem running 4 sticks at 3200MHz either.

Reactions: noko
like this
I am really interested in the 2 M.2 slots.
The specs say they are both full speed pcie 3.0 x4 slots and this would be the first x370 MB (to the best of my knowledge) to sport 2 at that speed.
Hopefully that can be tested as two single drives and then raided.

Premounted I/O shield? I wonder why no one else thought of this before.

I am really interested in the 2 M.2 slots.
The specs say they are both full speed pcie 3.0 x4 slots and this would be the first x370 MB (to the best of my knowledge) to sport 2 at that speed.
Hopefully that can be tested as two single drives and then raided.
That is on the agenda.

I'm liking the way this board looks. Any change if it's upside down?

Hopefully no bricked mobo like the CH6?

On the other hand, this board is pricey, and I already thought the CH6 was pricey enough. The flat ATX pins makes a very loud argument for it though, strangely enough.

Ordered via Newegg (sold out in 3 hours, now out of stock there), FedEx tracking no. in hand. I'll be keeping my Apex as well, btw.

Hopefully no bricked mobo like the CH6?

On the other hand, this board is pricey, and I already thought the CH6 was pricey enough. The flat ATX pins makes a very loud argument for it though, strangely enough.
Nope, been running well.

Ordered one of these last night and it should be arriving late Friday or Saturday along with an 1800X, 16GB of G.Skill 3200 CAS14 DDR4 and a Vega Liquid. Very much looking forward to the review.

I'm curious to read what you think of the board. I've had it for over a month now paired with a vega 64. Other than not being able to hit 3200 with my Trident RGB's the boards been rock solid with my Ryzen 1700x at 3.9 at 1.36 vcore. I just bought the bitspower monoblock but haven't put it on yet.

They just release some BIOS updates this week. but I'm still running the initial BIOS. I guess they learned alot from the CHVI Hero release.

I would suggest that anyone running an AM4 or TR4 system update their UEFI with every single non-beta release. Chipset drivers too.

Installing this board I was reminded that it’s sometime a good idea to RTFM.

Having previously used the HERO variant of this board I made some incorrect assumptions. The ROG_EXT (the portion on the right) on the HERO can also be used as an USB2.0 header (header USB1516).

I had assumed that this was the same thing on the EXTREME variant, but it’s not (exactly!). While the right portion of the ROG_EXT can also be used as an USB2.0 header it can only power ONE port (hence the reference to USB15 in the manual). Basically, the top row (the one with 5 pins) cannot be used to connect a 1x5 header USB connector (it’s physically possible but it won’t provide a USB connection). This will only work with the bottom 4 pins.

Also, while not being a defect (I think), this could cause problems (force you to get an adapter of some sort) with some AIO cooler or for users who need to connect 2 devices (e.g. Aquaero + Aquacomputer D5 pump) to one internal USB 2.0 header. This could be useful knowledge for some...

Last edited:
I suspect the main reason it's not common is because it takes up nearly double the space of a vertical socket due to the angled leads, and there isn't always enough room in the case to connect or route a 24-pin connector from the side.

It would be detrimental to top side radiators as well.

A fellow I know showed up at my home asking if I still built machines. I'm 82 yrs. old and slowing down, but before I could say a word he said I'll pay you of course but I also have a brand new AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU I will give to you if you build assemble a 1950X Thread Ripper." He showed me a list of components he ordered. I said OK. Seems he came into some money.

I ordered the ASUS VI Extreme, Phantek etho full tower, and a Sumsung 512 NV/ME ssd. Put it all together and got into BIOS. The BIOS saw the ssd and the 1TB & 500GB drives. I booted up and installed windows. Windows went thru it's rebooting drill and on the last reboot I saw a spark and a small light show from under the video card and of course that smell we all know and hate.
Amazon excepted the return and had a new board on a truck in a few hours, 2 day free shipping, no complaints! After installing the new board I could not enter the BIOS it was stuck on the ROG screen with the text "Press Del -F2". I downloaded the latest BIOS update 1701 and used the USB port to update the bios. Still could not get in. Went thru the usual drill checking component, no dice! I figured may as well do what I thought from the beginning, more work BUT! Pulled the Samsung ssd out of m.2 socket 1 and rebooted. Instantly got into the BIOS. Dammed if it didn't update the bios that I had input using the USB a few hours before. Took the Sandisk Extreme Pro out of my old machine and installed it. The machine booted up and is running like my best watch.

As you all know the 1700 comes with the stealth cooler. I had nothing better on hand and was too much in a hurry to see, or at least get an idea of what the machine was capable of. I installed GSkill FlareX memory. I played around in bios and found a drop down list of memory speeds. Clicked on 3200 and was at that speed. Found some one click overclock options. Clicked on "Gaming" and the CPU speed instantly jumped to 4.0 GHz. The memory dropped to like 26xx or something like that. I said to myself, that ain't right! Put the memory back on 3200 and now the CPU is running at 4.0GHz and the memory at 3200 MHz. The temps are at 49-51 c, not bad IMHO for a little cooler. If this thing holds together for a few months I think a water cooler is in it's future!

My old machine was an ASUS Sabertooth v.1 with 8 gig of RAM, the new one has 16GB, see pretty good icrease in performance. In flight Sim FSX-S using PMDG high end air liners like there 747 v3 I get 29-34 FPS. Old machine got about half that, barely playable in high density areas. I sent the Samsung back to the re-seller thru Amazon, no problems whatsoever!

Last edited:
Found enough time to sit down and tweak things a little. Managed to get my 1800x running at 4ghz (all cores) on this board as well as the memory running @ 3200 14 14 14 but haven't done any subtimings tweaking yet.

igrJ0zQ.jpg
HR10tVt.jpg

I'm still on the shipping UEFI BIOS which had AGESA 1.0.0.6, a new one was released recently but so far everything is running smoothly.

Back