ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME on the HardOCP Test Bench

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by Kyle_Bennett, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I am getting the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME onto the test bench this morning for testing. I was very surprised to see a "flat" ATX 24-pin power supply socket down on the board. For those of you looking to make some cleaner builds, this will certainly work out nicely.

Check out the pictures.

Also worth mentioning is that we are using the XSPC Threadripper RayStorm waterblock on our Ryzen 7 system....because we can. XSPC did mention to me that the hold-down mechanism that will be sold with the TR4 RayStorm block will have the AM4 socket mounts removed. Boo! That said, it would not be hard to drill your own to make this work. And yes, the Threadripper TR4 RayStorm block "cools the hell" right out of the Ryzen 7 processor.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    pendragon1 likes this.
  2. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

3. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

Does anyone make something like the eVGA "Power Link" for a 24 pin ATX? Seems like it'd be a popular item.

4. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Hope it rates better than the original Crosshair VI in the review. Kind of looks like that board stunk up the place over there.

5. Sipster

Sipster Gawd

I was very surprised to see a "flat" ATX 24-pin power supply socket down on the board. For those of you looking to make some cleaner builds, this will certainly work out nicely.

OMG.....why isn't everyone doing this on their mobos......so much cleaner looking!

6. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

I know. Just stands to reason on the cable management. So much cleaner. I could see on a small case with no room but usually the ATX connector winds up being an eyesore. Duh!

7. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Less than 1% of pc users care what the inside of their cases looks like. That's the problem, no reason to change. I also suspect breakage as a concern as now all of the force in the rear power pins when inserting the plug versus the board itself.

8. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy [H]ard|Gawd

I read the review and have no trouble believing Kyle accurately reported his experience.

That said my experience has been good, though part of me wishes I had waited for this board.

I had wanted the ASRock Taichi with them never being in stock the Asus was my 3rd pick. It has done very well for me.

9. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

EVGA was doing it for several years. It's about time another high end manufacturer picks up on the trend.

That 1% of pc users that do care what's inside of their case are the ones buying motherboards like this and building the machines themselves.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  10. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

It is strange that they did the angular ATX 24pin socket but left the other 8pin 12V sockets as normal.

11. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

I suspect the main reason it's not common is because it takes up nearly double the space of a vertical socket due to the angled leads, and there isn't always enough room in the case to connect or route a 24-pin connector from the side.

12. iamjanco

iamjanco [H]Lite

I've already got the Apex; very interested in the results you come up with here, Kyle.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Excellent results and experience so far. No problem running 4 sticks at 3200MHz either.

noko likes this.
  14. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

I am really interested in the 2 M.2 slots.
    The specs say they are both full speed pcie 3.0 x4 slots and this would be the first x370 MB (to the best of my knowledge) to sport 2 at that speed.
    Hopefully that can be tested as two single drives and then raided.

15. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Premounted I/O shield? I wonder why no one else thought of this before.

16. Kyle_Bennett

That is on the agenda.

IKV1476 likes this.
  17. Kyle_Bennett

I love this feature.

kirbyrj likes this.
  18. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I'm liking the way this board looks. Any change if it's upside down?

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  19. chenw

chenw 2[H]4U

Hopefully no bricked mobo like the CH6?

On the other hand, this board is pricey, and I already thought the CH6 was pricey enough. The flat ATX pins makes a very loud argument for it though, strangely enough.

20. iamjanco

iamjanco [H]Lite

Ordered via Newegg (sold out in 3 hours, now out of stock there), FedEx tracking no. in hand. I'll be keeping my Apex as well, btw.

21. Kyle_Bennett

Nope, been running well.

22. Lorien

Lorien [H]ardness Supreme

Ordered one of these last night and it should be arriving late Friday or Saturday along with an 1800X, 16GB of G.Skill 3200 CAS14 DDR4 and a Vega Liquid. Very much looking forward to the review.