ASUS ROG ARES II HD 7970 GHz Edition x2 6GB in stock at Newegg

2 x 7970 and the rest of the PC!

But this is rare and comes in a metal case!

This the reason AMD's not releasing new cards for 2013?

Wouldn't think so...

With AMD being in all the upcoming consoles and in bed with practically all developers, they have a good idea of what games are in the pipeline and they might have judged that for the time being it doesn't make financial sense to release a new card.

Just a guess mind you...

I'll take a Titan instead.... probably be almost as fast and is a single nVidia GPU!

I'll take a Titan instead.... probably be almost as fast and is a single nVidia GPU!

lol..hes still here?

anyways, for benchmarking and bragging rights im sure its great but after countless SLI and xfire setups, none of them seem as smooth as a single GPU regardless of the FPS output or benchmarks given

quites happy with my 680 4gb i just got but also the 78702gb was ok too

but:
GTX 580 SLI
GTX 480 SLI
GTX 285 SLI
Tri 7970
7990+7970
2x 6990
2x4970

good god i dont know how many gpus ive had in the last 10 years lol, regardless they never seem "smooth" in games... they spit out great benchmark numbers however

LOL, leave it to GT to insert nVidia into a conversion that has nothing to do with.

LOL, leave it to GT to insert nVidia into a conversion that has nothing to do with.

lol..hes still here?

It's a video card. This is a video card. People discussed price compared to performance (multiple cards vs. this card). I discussed the same.

Go yell at the above posters first! They bashed the price-performance long before I did ;). However, I'm sure you or Putz will either A) respond that it's somehow magically "different" because it wasn't me who posted it, or B) not respond at all. Damn, I'm feeding you way too much troll-food :(.

This the reason AMD's not releasing new cards for 2013?

I doubt it, 500$+ cards aren't what make these guys the majority of their money your everyday user would be content with a 620 or 640, some might "step up to a 650ti or 660 (same with AMD Equivalents) and most probably dont even care if its team red or team green in the pc

It's a video card. This is a video card. People discussed price compared to performance (multiple cards vs. this card). I discussed the same.

Go yell at the above posters first! They bashed the price-performance long before I did ;).

Right, because the unknown price/performance of an unreleased product is valid compared to a released and tested product.

Right, because the unknown price/performance of an unreleased product is valid compared to a released and tested product.

Same concept (the ARES II has a very poor cost-benefit ratio compared to similar solutions), and we already know roughly the performance the Titan will bring. There we go, though, you found a random irrelevant way to pretend it's different! Good job. P.S. The Titan launches on Monday.

Same concept (the ARES II has a very poor cost-benefit ratio compared to similar solutions), and we already know roughly the performance the Titan will bring. There we go, though, you found a random irrelevant way to pretend it's different! Good job.

LOL, whatever dude. You're still harping on a product that YOU and everybody else can only guess the price/performance. Otherwise please show us your actual numbers and the card that you tested.

LOL, whatever dude. You're still harping on a product that YOU and everybody else can only guess the price/performance. Otherwise please show us your actual numbers and the card that you tested.

No one is guessing at this point unless they're blind: it's between 85-110% of a GTX 690 dual-gpu performance, but on a single GK110 chip. Where is your rage at the other people who suggested better price/performance and similar products such as two individual 7970's at a fraction of the price? Oh, right... forgot, you're pretending to be artificially outraged to troll me :).

No one is guessing at this point unless they're blind: it's between 85-110% of a GTX 690 dual-gpu performance, but on a single GK110 chip. Where is your rage at the other people who suggested better price/performance and similar products such as two individual 7970's at a fraction of the price? Oh, right... forgot, you're pretending to be artificially outraged to troll me :).

And so you still haven't produced any real numbers. It's between 85% - 110% of a GTX690. Rather large range there. In other words, nothing but guesses and estimations. LOL.

And so you still haven't produced any real numbers. It's between 85% - 110% of a GTX690. Rather large range there. In other words, nothing but guesses and estimations. LOL.

It's actually not a very wide range, ~10% either way of the 690. You know math?

You bought 2 of them, any pics of the setup?

I'm waiting on the second card to arrive, np I'll post pics of the system once they're all installed

This is the system with the two GTX 680 that I'm replacing:
20gjz3o.jpg

10f7ww6.jpg

lol..hes still here?

Just put him on ignore list, then he will no longer be seen :D

Anyway, I am tempted to buy one of this, but I think I will wait and see what Titan really brings first, or if that card ever truly exist.

Just put him on ignore list, then he will no longer be seen :D

Anyway, I am tempted to buy one of this, but I think I will wait and see what Titan really brings first, or if that card ever truly exist.

Yeah, pesky things like facts won't be an issue either then! GJ. :)

I'm waiting on the second card to arrive, np I'll post pics of the system once they're all installed

This is the system with the two GTX 680 that I'm replacing:

Very nice system, you're putting the Ares in two systems? I was hoping to see some super-ultra-godzilla sized quadfire hell on X79. :cool:

Very nice system, you're putting the Ares in two systems? I was hoping to see some super-ultra-godzilla sized quadfire hell on X79. :cool:

Nope they're both going into the one system, waste of money to split them up ;) ... only thing left I'm thinking of replacing is the CPU :D I could use dual cores or save that option for the next one I build.

I'll dump the two GTX 680 in the last system I build it could use the upgrade.

Do a single and let me know how that performs, as I am considering picking up one, not two. I'm just a bit afraid of the fact that I will purchase a $1500 card, only for it to be less powerful performance wise than new releases here soon.

Do a single and let me know how that performs, as I am considering picking up one, not two. I'm just a bit afraid of the fact that I will purchase a $1500 card, only for it to be less powerful performance wise than new releases here soon.

Yep I thought about that to, one reason I did not buy the Asus Mars card. I'll drop the card in tomorrow and run the PCMark tests. uk.hardware.info has already run most of them but I think I can do a bit better...

They'll always be faster cards/components down the road, for me it's a matter of perfecting the current system; run it a few years then move on to the next. That's the way it's been for over 25 years, Wow that's a lot of computers I've gone through now that I think about it :eek:

10% faster then the GTX 690 for 2x the price?
The 690 was on for $799 a week or two ago.

Yeah, pesky things like facts won't be an issue either then! GJ. :)

It's quite amusing that you bring up facts.

No one is guessing at this point unless they're blind: it's between 85-110% of a GTX 690 dual-gpu performance, but on a single GK110 chip.

Referencing an unreleased and untested product you give a 20% range of possible performance values and state that "No one is guessing". Unfortunately, until the cards are in hand and testing with consumer drivers, it is all a guess.

Yeah, I can't say I understand the pricing? This is just 2x7970ghz with 6gb per card (or is it 2 x 3gb??). Or does this not work like a SLI card?

It's quite amusing that you bring up facts.

Referencing an unreleased and untested product you give a 20% range of possible performance values and state that "No one is guessing". Unfortunately, until the cards are in hand and testing with consumer drivers, it is all a guess.

It's already known facts from news reports... :rolleyes:. They're in some reviewers' hands and being tested now ;). But, hey, you don't think at all much, eh? And, nice job taking the first quote 100% out of context, since it had nothing to do with the Titan but rather a few trolls trying to show off their ignore lists as though I would care :p.

Yeah, I can't say I understand the pricing? This is just 2x7970ghz with 6gb per card (or is it 2 x 3gb??). Or does this not work like a SLI card?

2x 3gb... it's Crossfire 7970's on a stick. Expensive and an atrocious value.

It's already known facts from news reports... :rolleyes:. They're in some reviewers' hands and being tested now ;). But, hey, you don't think at all much, eh? And, nice job taking the first quote 100% out of context, since it had nothing to do with the Titan but rather a few trolls trying to show off their ignore lists as though I would care :p.

why are you arguing here about Geforce Titan. completely useless. if you like the Geforce Titan buy it. but don't thread crap.

its a well known fact that ARES II is not about value. hardocp clearly stated that in their conclusion.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/28/asus_rog_ares_ii_video_card_review/11#.URvLBvKyN8E

as for the Titan performance you will know on feb 18th. right now the number being thrown around is 85% of GTX 690. also GTX 690 < GTX 680 SLI < HD 7970 Ghz SLI < ARES II . come monday you will know the truth that Titan cannot come anywhere near HD 7970 Ghz CF for the same price. but undoubtedly as a single GPU Titan is a good option because it avoids all the pitfalls of multi GPU .

btw you are calling others trolls. what an irony. :D

Last edited:
why are you arguing here about Geforce Titan. completely useless. if you like the Geforce Titan buy it. but don't thread crap.

its a well known fact that ARES II is not about value. hardocp clearly stated that in their conclusion.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/28/asus_rog_ares_ii_video_card_review/11#.URvLBvKyN8E

as for the Titan performance you will know on feb 18th. right now the number being thrown around is 85% of GTX 690. also GTX 690 < GTX 680 SLI < HD 7970 Ghz SLI < ARES II . come monday you will know the truth that Titan cannot come anywhere near HD 7970 Ghz CF for the same price. but undoubtedly as a single GPU Titan is a good option because it avoids all the pitfalls of multi GPU .

btw you are calling others trolls. what an irony. :D

Hence why I brought up ANOTHER SPECIAL EDITION CARD to compare to, because yes, obviously they're not about price-performance (even a simpleton can tell that), but if you can get a better card at that, why the hell wouldn't you?

P.S. LOL @ you yet again having to try to discredit people instead of arguing the facts. I guess most anyone on these forums who actually knows their shit has left already years ago with how troll-infested they are by now :(. Trolling does not mean someone disagrees with your opinion, FYI. Hence your assertion that I'm a troll is absolutely absurd.

Last edited:
ATM I'm not pleased with the 3dmark 11 scores: x6420 to x7252 or fire strike 2538 extreme from one Ares II. My two gtx 680 were hitting 3055 on fire strike extreme. FurMark crossfire numbers suck they're half of what I get with crossfire disabled. I think there could be a driver issue related to crossfire. I'll update the MB bios to see if that helps.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5906081
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/148671

CPU Clock = 1300 MHz
Memory Clock = 1770 MHz
Max Temp. = 55c

Let us know, that's not right if your Ares isn't close to the sli 680, or even higher.

Gosh, I love tech, but LE items are way out of my budget and usually aren't that great. I hope it works out for those that ordered. :eek:

Let us know, that's not right if your Ares isn't close to the sli 680, or even higher.

The MB BIOS upgrade fixed the crossfire issue and stabilized the benchmark runs:

Looking good - Fire Strike Extreme 3421, 400 more then two GTX 680's and 20c cooler

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/150400

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/150457

FurMark 1 min. bench mark test was:

SCORE: 6195 points (103 FPS) LOL

Submitted (anonymous mode) on February 14 2013, 4:29 am

Bench duration: 60 seconds
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
MSAA samples: 0
Window mode: fullscreen

Primary renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7970
Device ID: 0x1002 - 0x6798
GPU clock: 1241 MHz
Memory clock: 1707 MHz
Graphics drivers: Catalyst - 9.002.5-130109a-151810E-Asus 1-9-2013
GPU temperatures (start/end): 34°C / 54°C

Number of GPUs: 2
GPU0 - Vendor: 0x1002 - Device: 0x6798 - Max GPU temp: 54 °C - Max GPU load: 78 %
GPU1 - Vendor: 0x1002 - Device: 0x6798 - Max GPU temp: 51 °C - Max GPU load: 100 %

CPU: IntelR CoreTM i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
CPU speed: 4047 MHz
Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 Service Pack 1

Last edited:
Back