ASUS ROG ARES II HD 7970 GHz Edition x2 6GB in stock at Newegg

Tested the 2nd card today - Fail!!!! damn it's defective locks up the system under benchmark load every time :mad:

Pretty much a case of buy it and bask in the glory of the expensive Epeen. The card itself it a fantastic performer, but the price isn't justified. But, for each their own. TTL Customs has posted some great reviews, check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRy0cM2rLeE

Agreed the card performs well. I don't care about the cost or Epeen (just satisfied with the final build) but I do highly value time, wasted over 5 hours setting up and verifying the 2nd card was defective. Hopefully Newegg will send out a replacement vs. credit me back the money. I'm not sure there are anymore available and I would not have bought the card and upgrade the power supply just to install one card.

The hell with this I ordered a 3rd card from the UK, well if Newegg comes through and send me a replacement I'll be selling one lol.

System setup before I had to ship one Ares 2 back:

28c12x3.jpg

33vntic.jpg

Last edited:
Cooler looks weak lol at it
How hot does it run OC at 60c plus lol

Actually the cooler works well, quite and low temps (low 50's most of the time) when GPUs are overclocked but the stock fans crap; I replaced one on each radiators with a Slip Stream 120 and will swap the others two out as well with the SS 120s that are on order. I would have liked to be able to disconnect the hoses from the radiator to route them through the back of the case.

FurMark 1 min. benchmark results:

SCORE: 6254 points (104 FPS)

Submitted (anonymous mode) on February 19 2013, 5:04 am

Bench duration: 60 seconds
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
MSAA samples: 0
Window mode: fullscreen

Primary renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7970
Device ID: 0x1002 - 0x6798
GPU clock: 1286 MHz
Memory clock: 1762 MHz
Graphics drivers: Catalyst - 9.002.5-130109a-151810E-Asus 1-9-2013
GPU temperatures (start/end): 40°C / 57°C

Number of GPUs: 2
GPU0 - Vendor: 0x1002 - Device: 0x6798 - Max GPU temp: 57 °C - Max GPU load: 77 %
GPU1 - Vendor: 0x1002 - Device: 0x6798 - Max GPU temp: 54 °C - Max GPU load: 100 %

CPU: IntelR CoreTM i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
CPU speed: 4071 MHz
Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 Service Pack 1

Last edited:
Thats a pretty badass build my man, since money isn't a issue I think everything would look even better in the new 900D that will be on the shelves in the coming weeks. Ive seen some benchmarks where a single 7970 beats the Ares 2 where Asus is behind on getting the drivers worked out, wanted to know if you've noticed anything regarding driver issues especially since your running quad

Thats a pretty badass build my man, since money isn't a issue I think everything would look even better in the new 900D that will be on the shelves in the coming weeks. Ive seen some benchmarks where a single 7970 beats the Ares 2 where Asus is behind on getting the drivers worked out, wanted to know if you've noticed anything regarding driver issues especially since your running quad

Yes, the 900D is nice but I'm done with this system build, may be for the next one ;)
There's definitely room for improvement with the Ares 2 driver, my two GTX 680s were able to beat one Ares 2 card on several benchmarks and it's more prone to driver crashes then the GTX driver.

Back