ASUS ROG 3800R vs Acer XR341CK

skypine27

Gawd
Asus just announced a curved 34" @ 3440 x 1440 (IPS, w/ g-sync)
The ROG 3800R
(edit: updated info from Asus:

ASUS ROG

ROG 34-inch Curved G-SYNC Monitor

This 34-inch 3800R curved display features wide-viewing angles, a 3440 x 1440 native resolution, and 21:9 aspect ratio. It features NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology to deliver smooth, lag-free visuals. G-SYNC synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the GPU in any GeForce® GTX™-powered PC to eliminate screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. This results in sharper, more vibrant images; and more fluid and responsive gameplay. It has extensive connectivity options that include DisplayPort and HDMI.

More info on it from Linus
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-inch-curved-ultrawide-nvidia-g-sync-monitor/

Sounds to me like its designed to go head to head against Acer's new 34" XR341CK Predator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtrzVkZTs0
The Acer Predator is confirmed to be 75hz w/ g-sync and is coming in June/July.

All things considered, I'm looking for an upgrade to my LG 34" 3440 x 1440 which is 60hz and I suspect I'll go with the Acer, unless Asus surprises me with 75hz or greater (have a sad feeling the Asus is going to be 60hz).

I'd bet willing to be the Asus will have slightly better build quality than the Acer, which I honestly don't care about as long as it doesn't fall apart during shipping, but that wont make up for the 15hz refresh rate deficit (to me anyway).

Discuss rich people!

Last edited:
what's there to discuss? neither of them are close to coming out......

stop jumping on hype trains people. let the train arrive at least :rolleyes:

I'll Take the ASUS Thanks.(whenever i get $2k to drop on one of these:D)

what's there to discuss? neither of them are close to coming out......

stop jumping on hype trains people. let the train arrive at least :rolleyes:

Really??

The Acer is supposed to drop in July.

That's 29 days away dude. My god, this board dumping on hype???! There's 12 pages of a 980 Ti thread, which now that i'ts released, turned out to be nothing worse than a slightly worse performing Titan X for less money. [H] is hype man. Take a look at the R390X is coming in two weeks thread...

Last edited:
I wonder why the Acer is 75Hz and the Asus is 60Hz. Anyways if the price is good on the Acer I'll be picking that up. Been really wanting a large 32+ inch 4k display with gsync but unfortunately it seems like everyone would rather prefer to make 27 inch 4k gsync monitors...I'll just settle for a 34 inch 21:9 instead as my large format gaming display.

Really??

The Acer is supposed to drop in July.

That's 29 days away dude. My god, this board dumping on hype???! There's 29 pages of a 980 Ti thread, which now that i'ts released, turned out to be nothing worse than a slightly worse performing Titan X for slightly less money. How did that get 29 pages and this has gotten 0??

uhhh, because GPU releases are far more consistent?

they've (Acer) has said 3 different release dates every time they're asked. If you want to believe it this time, go for it. get all excited and hyped up for it.

just like everyone did for the UM95
and the ROG Swift
and the Acer Predator xb270

if I was going to believe ANY of the release targets they've announced, it'd be the latest one - while still expecting a completely silent delay when the date comes and the shelves are still empty :rolleyes:

haven't consumers learned by now?

Admittedly this is the first time I've ever paid attention to the release date of a monitor (my LG 34" 3440 x 1440 is the only monitor I've owned that's got me excited enough to pay attention to monitor release dates since I began PC building in 1990.....) but I think its a safe bet the 75hz acer is going to be available this summer (September at the latest).

Screen cap this and make a mental note to tell me I'm wrong if I don't post that i own one (with pics) by Sep. 30th.

I'm really curious if as a gamer (the target audience for both these monitors) if I'll be able to notice 75hz vs 60hz

Last edited:
Admittedly this is the first time I've ever paid attention to the release date of a monitor (my LG 34" 3440 x 1440 is the only monitor I've owned that's got me excited enough to pay attention to monitor release dates since I began PC building in 1990.....) but I think its a safe bet the 75hz acer is going to be available this summer (September at the latest).

Screen cap this and make a mental note to tell me I'm wrong if I don't post that i own one (with pics) by Sep. 30th.

I'm really curious if as a gamer (the target audience for both these monitors) if I'll be able to notice 75hz vs 60hz

There's actually a pretty big difference. I'm pretty excited for the acer as well, I'm gonna do the newegg premier trial offer when I buy to make it hassle free

two sources said June, then Acer said late September on Twitter

they clearly don't have a concrete date set

what happens if the date gets closer and it gets delayed? nothing. Acer doesn't owe anybody anything - they'll push it back again if something comes up

getting excited and hyped up for it doesn't make Acer any more committed to either release timeframe - it just leaves you more disappointed when it does get delayed or not met

Asus just announced a curved 34" @ 3440 x 1440 (IPS, w/ g-sync)
The ROG 3800R
(edit: updated info from Asus:

ASUS ROG

ROG 34-inch Curved G-SYNC Monitor

This 34-inch 3800R curved display features wide-viewing angles, a 3440 x 1440 native resolution, and 21:9 aspect ratio. It features NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology to deliver smooth, lag-free visuals. G-SYNC synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the GPU in any GeForce® GTX™-powered PC to eliminate screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. This results in sharper, more vibrant images; and more fluid and responsive gameplay. It has extensive connectivity options that include DisplayPort and HDMI.

More info on it from Linus
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-inch-curved-ultrawide-nvidia-g-sync-monitor/

Sounds to me like its designed to go head to head against Acer's new 34" XR341CK Predator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtrzVkZTs0
The Acer Predator is confirmed to be 75hz w/ g-sync and is coming in June/July.

All things considered, I'm looking for an upgrade to my LG 34" 3440 x 1440 which is 60hz and I suspect I'll go with the Acer, unless Asus surprises me with 75hz or greater (have a sad feeling the Asus is going to be 60hz).

I'd bet willing to be the Asus will have slightly better build quality than the Acer, which I honestly don't care about as long as it doesn't fall apart during shipping, but that wont make up for the 15hz refresh rate deficit (to me anyway).

Discuss rich people!

If you sell your LG I'd certainly be interested.. Otherwise I'd be looking at the Predator - it depends I guess..

ASUS is only guaranteeing 60Hz at this point. The display is still in the design phase. Only renders of it exist at this point. JJ on the blog post is saying that they are looking at faster refresh rates, but 60Hz is all they can promise at this point. Remember that the PG278Q was a 120Hz display at this point in the process, but they managed to get 144Hz in the final product.

So according to Asus: "due to the increased resolution there are bandwidth limitations with the current DP implementation."

Isn't this false? I thought DP 1.2 was capable of 3440x1440 at 120Hz. It can already do 2560x1440 at 144Hz without any problems...:confused: and even if it was a problem, I would gladly accept the monitor having DUAL DP 1.2 running in MST if it means getting 144Hz 3440x1440. Come on Asus

There is no bandwidth limitation restricting 3440x1440 to 60 Hz. There is no 3440x1440 panel that has pixels fast enough is the issue.

Isn't this false? I thought DP 1.2 was capable of 3440x1440 at 120Hz. It can already do 2560x1440 at 144Hz without any problems...:confused: and even if it was a problem, I would gladly accept the monitor having DUAL DP 1.2 running in MST if it means getting 144Hz 3440x1440. Come on Asus

Assuming that 2560x1440 @144hz saturates DP 1.2 (4k @ 60hz is only equivalent to 1440p @ 135hz), 3440x1440 can only do 107hz on the same amount of data.

Also, while this is a non-issue for most, not every card comes with the same number of DP's (for example, MSI's 970 and 980 only has 1 DP each, rather than the standard 3), making a monitor requiring 2 DP's a little tricky.

There is no bandwidth limitation restricting 3440x1440 to 60 Hz. There is no 3440x1440 panel that has pixels fast enough is the issue.

That's not what the Asus rep is telling people at computex. From the Q&A:

Product Name / Model Number:

Not currently defined or confirmed – ASUS ROG 34-inch Curved G-SYNC Monitor

FAQ

*This monitor is still under design and development and as such features, functions and specifications are open to change.

1. When will this be available?

At this time the monitor is still under design and development and a approximate release date has not been defined.

2. What is the refresh rate?

At this time 60Hz, currently to reach beyond this refresh rate a panel needs to be developed in this aspect ratio and resolution as well as designed to operate at this high refresh rate. Beyond this due to the increased resolution there are bandwidth limitations with the current DP implementation. As the unit support G-SYNC the G-SYNC controller currently can not support the new DP 1.3 specification which would allow for near 4K or 4K+ resolutions at refresh rates higher than 60Hz.

(link)
https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/

He appears to be referring to 3440 x 1440 as being "near 4K" when it come stop bandwidth.

Last edited:
Probably a misunderstanding or a complete guestimate, 3440x1440 is just under 60% of the number of pixels of a 4k screen. Though that is not the worst I have heard. I have heard from a salesman describing 1440p as 'almost' 4k

Update. A sweetish site is now claiming the Asus is also going to be 75 hz. I would guess, if this is true, it will be using the exact same panel as the Acer! That's how these things seem to go. But I also remember when all the websites were claiming the Acer was going to be 144 hz LOL

(Using google translate):
Update : This ROG 3800R appears to be a refresh rate of to have 75 Hz, and also undertakes to 178 degree viewing angles, which on the one hand is particularly for a curved screen, but also indicates on the other hand that it is an IPS display. Also features the model includes a height-adjustable stand. Finally, ASUS has new 'added GamePlus' functions, which functions as an onscreen timer / crosshair and a turbo adds key'.

source:
http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/44002/computex-asus-toont-twee-g-sync-monitoren---update

75Hz is still better than 60Hz I guess. Maybe next year or so we'll see 144Hz 3440x1440 monitors out.

75Hz is still better than 60Hz I guess. Maybe next year or so we'll see 144Hz 3440x1440 monitors out.

I'm also thinking we have a minimum of 12 months before we see 144hz 3440 x 1440 (IPS of course, wouldn't want to spend money on a TN). We may also finally get some bigger 4K with >60 hz and g-sync.

Can you imagine that big ass Philips 40" 4K if it has 75-120hz + g-sync? A pair of Titan X's would drive that nicely right now, and 12 months from now we will have more powerful flagship cards than that.

Someone might point out that what I'm talking about here is for the top 5% of gamers, $$$ wise. And they'd be right. 75% of the guys on my TS server are STILL gaming on 24" 1080p setups, 60hz. A couple have "normal" 1440p (i.e., 2560 x 1440) but only 60hz models too. ONE dude has 4K w/g-sync, but its only a 27" and he's using a pair of 980s to drive it, so he still can't pull 60 FPS in many titles with the settings cranked up. I'm the only one on there with 34" 3440 x 1440. But seeing is how this is [H]....well, I figured a bunch of us are the kind of people who would spend the cash for a big screen 120-144z IPS and/or a 40" 4K >60hz

Last edited:
Update. A sweetish site is now claiming the Asus is also going to be 75 hz. I would guess, if this is true, it will be using the exact same panel as the Acer! That's how these things seem to go. But I also remember when all the websites were claiming the Acer was going to be 144 hz LOL

(Using google translate):
Update : This ROG 3800R appears to be a refresh rate of to have 75 Hz, and also undertakes to 178 degree viewing angles, which on the one hand is particularly for a curved screen, but also indicates on the other hand that it is an IPS display. Also features the model includes a height-adjustable stand. Finally, ASUS has new 'added GamePlus' functions, which functions as an onscreen timer / crosshair and a turbo adds key'.

source:
http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/44002/computex-asus-toont-twee-g-sync-monitoren---update
I'm guessing that both Acer and ASUS will be using an AUOptronics AMVA panel since they're the only ones with a fast IPS panel available at the moment.

Given that ASUS squeezed out 144 Hz with the PG278Q, I'm calling 85 Hz in the final version of the PG34Q. There is enough bandwidth for 100 Hz with DP 1.2, but G-Sync has some overhead and there were a few small issues with the PG278Q running at 144 Hz. I think 85 Hz would be fast enough and match ULMB capabilities while leaving safe headroom for bandwidth.

Back