Asus Rog 3090…RGB control confusion

harmztl

n00b
Hey guys so I’m in a bit of dilemma. Started my build and ordered a amd 5950x, seagate barracuda m.2 sticks, 128gb dominator ram, asus crosshair viii extreme and Corsair 680x case. I’m trying to keep it 2 asus and Corsair so rgb will not require too many different softwares to control. Last pc I built is 10 years old now. I am having no luck finding a card. Should I keep looking or get whatever I can find? What’s been working for you guys?

Hey guys so I’m in a bit of dilemma. Started my build and ordered a amd 5950x, seagate barracuda m.2 sticks, 128gb dominator ram, asus crosshair viii extreme and Corsair 680x case. I’m trying to keep it 2 asus and Corsair so rgb will not require too many different softwares to control. Last pc I built is 10 years old now. I am having no luck finding a card. Should I keep looking or get whatever I can find? What’s been working for you guys?
i dont believe you need the separate programs to control various rgbs in your rig if thats the only reason

I was under the impression I would need to use 1 program for asus and one for icue and if I did another brand that would require it’s own software.

I was under the impression I would need to use 1 program for asus and one for icue and if I did another brand that would require it’s own software.
i suggest editing the thread title to reflect rgb control and im sure others with direct product experience will chime in.....but i can say i have had motherboard and ram controlled by either apps. https://www.tomshardware.com/features/whirlwindfx-signalrgb-hands-on or look here https://duckduckgo.com/?q=control+all+rgb+from+one+program+in+windows&atb=v175-1&ia=web

icue software has support for strix video cards, mobos and keyboards iirc, but in my experience doesn't seem to work worth a damn. Both icue and armoury crate are garbage software, but at least Corsair's software is nowhere as bloated as Asus'.

I would recommend that once you get your preferred color scheme for your Dominator RAM disable the icue software all together in the services, otherwise once you put the comp to sleep to will revert to the gay rainbow trash every time. The software doesn't even need to be running at all. Only after a shutdown will you have to re-enable the Corsair LLA service to be able to relaunch icue, then you can load your saved profile and disable the service, exit program through task manager, and it will stick.

Most of Armoury Crate bloatware can be disabled/deleted as well to significantly cut down on the number of background tasks running. You can literally free up ~40 processes running in the task manager. When I first installed it I had 70+ processes running and after tweaking I can get down to low 30's and still have full software functionality. If you want the software to continue to work after after you set your colors you will need these things running:

AAC MB HAL .exe MB = Motherboard : disable that and lose and adressable LED strip support in the Crate Software.

User session helper = disable this and lose all options in the crate software.

Asus NodeJS Web Framework - called that in the task manager- but called asus Framework.exe in it's folder. Need this for full software functionality.

Com Service and AsusCertService.exe both need to be going in the services.msc

ROG Live Service - apparently needs to to be running for full software functionality as well.

LightingService.exe and lighting service in the services.msc - need to be running

xml files in C:\ main folder - don't delete those lol!!!

Everything else in the task manager, you can simply open file location, and rename the exe to .bak to prevent them starting up after next reboot. Most of the stuff can be deleted in the add-remove programs also, like the brand specific stuff that your not using; Patriot memory, a bunch of other crap that I can't recall at the moment. The whole Crate software is a mess, there are files and install paths all over the place.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
What are some good 3090s I should check for? Inventory is rough so looking in fb market and offer up now

Most of the time, you have to use the manufacturer's RGB software for their hardware. Things like RAM are generally compatible with just about any software. Frankly, I've used most all of it and its all trash. Thermaltake, ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, iCue, etc. are all shit. ASUS' software is bloated, but its far from the worst. I've had less trouble with it than some others. MSI's is probably the worst. iCue is a pig and its convoluted as hell. I hate it most of all but mostly because it's interface is a nightmare.

I’ve been out of this game for too long lol. Since I went with the asus motherboard is it advisable to get a asus card? Any guidance you guys can provide?

I’ve been out of this game for too long lol. Since I went with the asus motherboard is it advisable to get a asus card? Any guidance you guys can provide?
It doesn't matter. The only benefit to doing that would be controlling things through a single unified piece of software. That's really it.

So now I have most of my system but really have no luck in finding a gpu. I’ve tried offer up and Facebook market place. Any other places I can look?

newegg has plenty gpus in stock .....shits is expensive and over priced which is our new normal from here on out thanks in part to inflation:(

Just completed my build 😊

Attachments

• AC25AC96-4AB4-4CD4-A726-597D7F08FAE3.jpeg
    AC25AC96-4AB4-4CD4-A726-597D7F08FAE3.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 16
My ICue supports my Asus MB but its not bery robust, the MB itself came with its own software (Armory i think its called). And I have an MSI 3090. Between Armory and my iCue controllers and fans i can maintain my ice white spec relatively easily:

21702213-17C1-4E74-B841-A8A493EA20F4.jpeg

Back