ASUS RMA is Ridiculously Horrible!

I'm REALLY surprised to read this statement on an enthusiast forum. Most everybody I know (from computer layman to expert) would probably agree with "My computer is among the few things in my life that HAS to work. A few days of downtime, let alone a month, would be a serious problem."

That you think a month is okay, especially for an enthusiast, speaks volumes for how bad computer service has become and our how expectations have adjusted accordingly (e.g. forget repairing, just chuck it and get a new one).

This is why I ended up with an ipad instead of the transformer.

Like the OP, I work in the field of research and have worked in small/medium sized research centers. Sometimes the IT budgets in these places is small, and a their "IT guys" are part time undergraduate students. A lot of them come in and say "Why are we getting stuff from Dell/HP/Lenovo/Apple? I could build computers for cheaper and repair them myself"

At that point I have the discussion about how much money is lost when a computer is down, especially if a computer is down for more than a day or two. Once I throw in the headaches with software licenses, clueless employees, and the higher ups pointing fingers, they realize the differences between costs and downtime in the home versus the office.

Hey man, I never said I worked in research. That was somebody else. There are a lot of stories on here and they're not all from the same person. :)

Also: ignore Old Hippie, he's just trying trolling and trying to start a flame war and increase post count.

I'm REALLY surprised to read this statement on an enthusiast forum.
Any downtime is bad but if your life or livelihood depended on that single thing, I'd have a plan "B" for unexpected emergencies.

I'm not talking about surfing the net or conversing thru emails here.

If it HAS to work and there's no plan "B" you have failed before the computer did. :)

Edit...
Also: ignore Old Hippie, he's just trying trolling and trying to start a flame war and increase post count.

Damn, I've been trying to do a flame war since I joined and someone just caught me! LOL!

Edit 2......Will I know it when it happens or will you tell me?

(snip) Sometimes the IT budgets in these places is small, and a their "IT guys" are part time undergraduate students. A lot of them come in and say "Why are we getting stuff from Dell/HP/Lenovo/Apple? I could build computers for cheaper and repair them myself"

At that point I have the discussion about how much money is lost when a computer is down, especially if a computer is down for more than a day or two. Once I throw in the headaches with software licenses, clueless employees, and the higher ups pointing fingers, they realize the differences between costs and downtime in the home versus the office.

Support from OEM in businesses aren't difficult to obtain if you do it right. I buy HP laptops and printers despite knowing that HP's support is mediocre. Just buy your hardware from a licensed dealer that can take care of all the wetwork for you. I buy everything for my company through Digerati Group (buytech.com). If I have any problems with our laptops or printer or software license or security certificate or whatever, I just shoot Digerati Group an email and in less than 2 minutes I get a FedEx ticket to print and they send me a replacement part while they deal with HP themselves.

Best way to go about it. I never order direct from HP.

I have never gotten a new drive from an RMA....WD, Hitachi, Intel, Samsung, or Seagate have all sent refurbs.

Odd, I have always got new drives, and I certuanly wouldnt accept a refurb for my previous data.

Mind you this was many years ago, maybe things have changed lately.

Hey man, I never said I worked in research. That was somebody else. There are a lot of stories on here and they're not all from the same person. :)

Sorry for the mixup. That's what happens when you try to remember the content of too many posts at once.

If it HAS to work and there's no plan "B" you have failed before the computer did. :)

Definitely agree with you.

Any downtime is bad but if your life or livelihood depended on that single thing, I'd have a plan "B" for unexpected emergencies.

I'm not talking about surfing the net or conversing thru emails here.

Pretty much.

This is why I always ask for an advance RMA. They send you a new one and you send the bad one back. They will take your CC number just in case you decide to not send anything back. However, not everyone does this and I've never had a normal RMA go quickly. So, you should always have a backup just in case if it's critical or if it's going to piss you off enough to post about it on the internet.

I had a horrible RMA experience w/ Asus recently. Took almost two months to get another gtx570 DCII back in my hands. They make nice stuff, but god help-ya if you need RMA service.

I am personally glad to see threads like this when the "headache" is outside of the realm of normal turnaround. It does and should be a consideration to a newbie like myself when trying to wade through the plethora of choices.

Also, I think in some far off distant system, manufactures will give a hoot about their reputation enough to make coarse corrections so we all benefit. IE "Squeaky wheel"
Just my opinion, or my imagination, one of the Two!

Mind you this was many years ago, maybe things have changed lately.
I have never gotten a new drive in the last 10-12-14(?) years and I'll bet the only way you'll get a new drive is if they don't have any repaired drives to send ya.

Is there a flame war yet? LOL!

I am personally glad to see threads like this when the "headache" is outside of the realm of normal turnaround. It does and should be a consideration to a newbie like myself when trying to wade through the plethora of choices.
I definately applaud your ambition to research.

Just keep in mind there's two sides to every story, you'll hear the loudness of bitching because satisfied customers have little to say, the bigger the company the more problems, at least 50% of NewEgg's negative feedback on computer components is written by idiots, and if you refuse to buy from any company that's had an RMA problem you'll have nothing to buy. :D

I was looking for something else and ran across this "Asus RMA" guide from 2008.

It's old and moldy and I suppose it won't help many/none but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Check it out.

It's no panacea but may help a novice......Maybe. :)

I also have had a terrible ASUS RMA experience. Actually, two experiences. First, it took about three weeks for them to send me an RMA number, and the only reason I got one at all was because a user from another forum has a connection with an insider and helped me out. Beyond that, my replacement board was DOA. So I RMAed that board as well. Surprisingly it only took about a week to receive my second "replacement" board, except really it was just the same dead board! Oh, wait, I'm not done. I also received absolutely zero documentation or communication as to what they supposedly did as far as testing or repairs go. I have been so infuriated by this disgusting process that I have very little ambition to continue seeking a resolution with ASUS, and I very well may just purchase a new board from a different company.

I kid you not - I have experience with six different ASUS mobos in my lifetime, and each and every one of them has died within a year. Perhaps we were just never meant to be together. :(

I definately applaud your ambition to research.

Just keep in mind there's two sides to every story, you'll hear the loudness of bitching because satisfied customers have little to say, the bigger the company the more problems, at least 50% of NewEgg's negative feedback on computer components is written by idiots, and if you refuse to buy from any company that's had an RMA problem you'll have nothing to buy. :D

Research for me, is trying to understand who is full of BS or really knows their Sh(t, since when it comes to Computers, I'm the older kid who sits in the back of the class. This is also "tech reviews" some site it almost appears biased towards certain products.

Of coarse I read reviews, actually most of the time the marks are good, but some issues on occasion seem to be more prevalent, As far as knowing who wrote what review is an idiot or not, I am unable to make that assumption.

My brother has had to use RMA once on a MB from ASUS and he was treated right, so who knows.

My wife's Asus G51VX-X2A laptop has a busted shift key so I began the RMA process to have the keyboard replaced and let me just say, I'm afraid it is shaping up to look like the other stories in this thread. Thankfully it is just the keyboard so I have an external hooked up for now.

My first call, I specifically asked if the part could just be shipped to me versus my shipping the entire laptop to Asus for repair as the keyboard takes about 2 minutes to replace. The rep I spoke with said that wouldn't be an issue, took my mailing information and gave me an RMA number. I received an RMA confirmation email, and waited a few days but noticed the RMA never showed up in their online status tool.
I called back for a status update about 5 days later and the person I spoke with informed me that the first rep opened the RMA as a standard RMA, not an advance replacement RMA, so he opened a new RMA for me. I never received a confirmation email for this new RMA number and again it isn't showing up in their web tool so it looks like I will be calling again.

The really sad thing is that many many moons ago, I had a 440BX based Asus board which suffered a fan failure. I called Asus up, spoke to someone, and literally the next day had a replacement fan in the mail. I was blown away and have been fiercely loyal to Asus ever since. I don't think Asus realizes the power of good customer service and word of mouth and how devastating the opposite can be, over time.

My brother has had to use RMA once on a MB from ASUS and he was treated right, so who knows.

A few years ago I had an Asus board that suffered bulging/leaking caps and sent it back to them; they sent me one back that was a newer model, so the company certainly has it in their ability to give good service, or did at one time anyhow.

Question: The motherboard I received is working but the plastic on the top of the blue HD IDE pins is chipped off and the motherboard is a bit bent. Should I tell it to ASUS and send the board out again, risking another 1 month wait time or should I just deal with the board?

Update on GFX Card: I sent the graphics card for Advanced RMA (they took my CC info) using their shipping label. Several days later I asked to see if they had my card's model in stock (because I received an email saying that my model was not in stock but I should send the card anyways, so I did). The rep tells me that he is requesting a stock check and in order to do that he will have to open a new RMA case..I thought to myself "I don't know why you would remake RMA with new number but whatever". He then realizes that I already sent the card and it's in transit. He tells me that he made an error and that he should not have canceled that RMA and made a new RMA case. I spent about an hour on hold so he could write an email to somebody explaining what happened. He then tells me that they will be unable to do advanced replacement because my card is already in transit and they did not ship me a replacement. So I guess he changed the RMA type to regular from advanced. He told me to call back in 48 hours and I'm about to do so. The guy honestly sounded wasted/stoned and I was on the phone for 1 hour and 10 minutes. I'm about to call back and see what's up.

Question: The motherboard I received is working but the plastic on the top of the blue HD IDE pins is chipped off and the motherboard is a bit bent. Should I tell it to ASUS and send the board out again, risking another 1 month wait time or should I just deal with the board?
I wouldn't.

The bend is no big deal but I was hoping you tried the IDE connection to see if it works.

I'll bet it works even though it doesn't look cosmetically perfect.

You had the Asus Rep involved and if that's their best offer I'd suggest you take it.

I probably missed it (or forgot) but what was the origional problem?

I pmed OC_Seer for some help with mine but haven't heard anything back. I just want to talk to some one who knows what they are doing. I just get the run around from asus now whenever I call in.

Now they are "working on finding a solution" but can't even tell me what those solutions might be.

I wouldn't.

The bend is no big deal but I was hoping you tried the IDE connection to see if it works.

I'll bet it works even though it doesn't look cosmetically perfect.

You had the Asus Rep involved and if that's their best offer I'd suggest you take it.

I probably missed it (or forgot) but what was the origional problem?
Original problem was: motherboard died, would not boot at all. After a month of wait, I receive this motherboard that is bent, IDE plastic is broken off, PS2 keyboard port not functional. I just got off the phone with my first decent asus rep and he initiated something called AWP or AWT (hard to hear), replacement with tracking. So I should be getting another motherboard in mail and then I will send the broken one back (the one they sent me). ASUS rep was very clear and responded quickly. I forgot to get his name unfortunately.

The graphics card issue was somewhat resolved. I am unable to do advanced replacement because I sent the card before I received a replacement but it's no big deal. The graphics card also has no RMA number because the guy I spoke with 2 days ago deleted it for some reason. The card will just go through a regular RMA.

I'm not going to settle for a semi-functional motherboard when I paid premium for it. I might want to sell it in the future.

I pmed OC_Seer for some help with mine but haven't heard anything back. I just want to talk to some one who knows what they are doing. I just get the run around from asus now whenever I call in.

Now they are "working on finding a solution" but can't even tell me what those solutions might be.

I also PM'ed OC_Seer on 11/23/2011 and no reply. You might want to try ROG FORUMS, I think he is more active there. I no longer need his assistance anyways.

Sounds like a crap-shoot for RMA with ASUS lately.
There sure are alot of threads with the same theme: "sent in my MB and got the same one back three weeks later in the same condition.":eek:

Lessons I've learned:
1) ask for an advanced RMA.
2) don't send yours until you get theirs.

I've had an awful lot of ASUS products and have been very satisfied, although I only had one issue, one time. My A8N-SLi-Deluxe had a bad Southbridge fan.
I emailed ASUS support.
Gave them my serial number.
One week later I had a replacement, no questions asked.

IDE plastic is broken off, PS2 keyboard port not functional.
I forgot about the PS2 input.

To me, if the IDE ports still works it's fine but the non-working PS2 isn't.

They really dropped the ball with your RMA but it's far from the worst cases I've read about.

Hopefully 3rd times the charm! :)

Good Luck and hopefully you'll get some satisfaction this time around. :)

Thanks. I will try there.

Good luck with the ARS or whatever they call it if you don't have a current part. I was offered that too when they sent my 5970 back in worse shape. I got an email a few days later saying the ARS was not possible because they didn't have any cards in stock to send me and i would have to do a normal RMA.

Thanks. I will try there.

Good luck with the ARS or whatever they call it if you don't have a current part. I was offered that too when they sent my 5970 back in worse shape. I got an email a few days later saying the ARS was not possible because they didn't have any cards in stock to send me and i would have to do a normal RMA.

Fuck, I hope they have a rampage ii extreme in stock. I am waiting for the stock check email right now.

Do you know OC_seer's name on rog? OC_seer doesn't come up with anything.

Sorry, I can't find it either. I might've been thinking of Raja. I know Raja is definitely on ROG Forums.

Also, they just sent me an email saying that they don't have a rampage ii extreme in stock.
Fuck me sideways. So fucking tired of this shit. They don't have a GTX 570 in stock, they don't have a rampage ii extreme in stock. WHAT DO THEY HAVE?

When I had to rma my p8p67 pro they had that in stock lol. I even got a brand new one with all the accessories.

Sorry to hear they don't have your mobo. I'm in the same freaking boat with my 5970. Ya raja is there i already sent a pm to some guy called Mason. It sounded like he gets stuck handling most of the rma's gone bad from looking at the RMA thread.

This is what irks me the most about our RMA problems ASUS knows how to do things right. I just don't know why the heck they don't. I buy them because I expect great RMA service. If i expected to deal with BS like this i would save a few $$ and buy some MSI / Sapphire BS. The final straw is when someone capable of great rma service like asus drops the ball so bad they would make a sapphire RMA look like a blessing.

If I don't get a satisfactory solution soon I'm going to call daily emailing my receipt and asking for a refund for the $700 paperweight. I'll let you know how it goes if it comes to that lol. I may call my CC company and see about filing a charge back. It's not neweggs fault but i'm pretty sure i've heard about things like that being done in a case like this. I would hate to stiff the egg but it's better than me getting stiffed. If it comes to that i will do my best to make sure no one ever purchases an asus product on my watch.

When I had to rma my p8p67 pro they had that in stock lol. I even got a brand new one with all the accessories.

Sorry to hear they don't have your mobo. I'm in the same freaking boat with my 5970. Ya raja is there i already sent a pm to some guy called Mason. It sounded like he gets stuck handling most of the rma's gone bad from looking at the RMA thread.

This is what irks me the most about our RMA problems ASUS knows how to do things right. I just don't know why the heck they don't. I buy them because I expect great RMA service. If i expected to deal with BS like this i would save a few $$ and buy some MSI / Sapphire BS. The final straw is when someone capable of great rma service like asus drops the ball so bad they would make a sapphire RMA look like a blessing.

If I don't get a satisfactory solution soon I'm going to call daily emailing my receipt and asking for a refund for the $700 paperweight. I'll let you know how it goes if it comes to that lol. I may call my CC company and see about filing a charge back. It's not neweggs fault but i'm pretty sure i've heard about things like that being done in a case like this. I would hate to stiff the egg but it's better than me getting stiffed. If it comes to that i will do my best to make sure no one ever purchases an asus product on my watch.
You wont get a refund from them. The repair center never has anything in stock. Tell them to call ACI and you want a replacement ASAP of the same board or one better. Doing a chargeback on newegg is a bad idea. Asus is screwing you so to make it better you screw a etailer and say oh well i wanted my money back when they arent even involved. Thats what a scammer would do. Not to mention they will likely blacklist you.

All I can say is MSI and Gigabyte have never done me wrong, heard to many bad stories about ASUS, sad really they have the top end board market pretty much in their hands, you would think they would try and keep all the customers who payed hundreds of dollars in premium over a plain old mobo.

You wont get a refund from them. The repair center never has anything in stock. Tell them to call ACI and you want a replacement ASAP of the same board or one better. Doing a chargeback on newegg is a bad idea. Asus is screwing you so to make it better you screw a etailer and say oh well i wanted my money back when they arent even involved. Thats what a scammer would do. Not to mention they will likely blacklist you.

What is ACI? Will this really work? They sent me a semi-functional replacement for my rampage ii extreme and when I told the rep he said he will do a replacement with tracking. I got an email saying my board is not available.

I sent in my rampage ii extreme that died. It was in "repairing" status for about 3 weeks, it took 1 week for it to arrive. 1 MONTH to RMA a board.

And guess what? They sent me my exact dead motherboard back to me.

Asus service sucks. Honestly I used to be an Asus fan...no more. Not touching any of their products.
If Abit hadn't died, I would still be buying their motherboards.

I agree and it would be a 100% last resort. Like i said i would contact my CC company before hand to see if i'm even in the right to do so. Which at that point I would contact newegg and see if they can help. Trust me involving egg in this would be a last resort. I may sound like a newb but I'm actually a moderator over at eggxpert. I am however determined not to get screwed in this RMA.

What is ACI? Will this really work? They sent me a semi-functional replacement for my rampage ii extreme and when I told the rep he said he will do a replacement with tracking. I got an email saying my board is not available.

I would also like to know. Thanks for the tip!

I've heard a lot of bad support stories about ASUS...Their products are top notch, no doubt about it, but god help you if something happens to go wrong. I decided to steer clear, based on all the Newegg reviews, and threads like these I kept finding..Went with EVGA, who seems to have a better reputation for support, though not perfect...Then again, name a company that does have a perfect track record....

I'm in a similar boat with my P7P55 WS SuperComputer. I was offered an Advanced RMA, but I don't want them to conveniently "damage" my board and then charge my CC for a board I've since replaced.

Sent in for regular RMA...hoping it works out. But my hopes are pretty low. The worst is that I'm out $8 and a board for my 2nd PC.

ACI is headquarters. When we got laptops in that would cost to much to repair or it was ran over by a car and they had the accidental warranty they would issue them a new one. Those always went through ACI. ACI is Asus Computer Inc. Its in Cali and is like headquarters but they do the same thing the Jeff repair centers do but not shitty. All of the boards we got as replacements were either in house or ACI boards. The ACI boards had a 99% success rate and working where as we would go through at least 3-4 or sometimes 10 or more before getting one that even worked or didnt have a problem.

I cant say that it will work im just giving you more options. I would call them over and over and demand a working board. Then i would ask them to check ACI inventory, then threaten the call ACI about the issue and their lack of cooperation.

I would love to deal with them for RMA. They wouldnt like me cause i know all the bosses names and it would get ugly real fast as the techs would be in over their heads.

Also, This repair center does alot more brands then Asus. Alot of the alternative brands mentioned in this thread have contracts with this same repair center.

I may sound like a newb but I'm actually a moderator over at eggxpert
I may call my CC company and see about filing a charge back. It's not neweggs fault but i'm pretty sure i've heard about things like that being done in a case like this. I would hate to stiff the egg but it's better than me getting stiffed.
So now we have a Mod from Newegg doing a charge-back against them? LOL!

So now we have a Mod from Newegg doing a charge-back against them? LOL!

I like how you cut out most of what I said.

I agree and it would be a 100% last resort. Like i said i would contact my CC company before hand to see if i'm even in the right to do so. Which at that point I would contact newegg and see if they can help. Trust me involving egg in this would be a last resort. I may sound like a newb but I'm actually a moderator over at eggxpert. I am however determined not to get screwed in this RMA.

The odds of me doing it are very slim but if its within my rights as a consumer being a mod doesn't mean I have to wave them. I'm pretty confident egg would help me out if needed anyways. I've seen the CS reps on the forum do some crazy thing to keep people happy.

Any who good job, keep up the trolling old timer.

I like how you cut out most of what I said.
LOL!

I could have posted the whole thing but most skip those mile long responses.

AAR, just you mentioning a CB is enough to be humorous. :D

You mentioned it....not me!

AAR, I'd hope the Egg would work with you to resolve the situation and a CB is the last ditch possibility.

But then again, the CB clock starts at the time of purchase and goes for 60-90 days.

If you're getting close to that time that may change your urgency to resolve the situation.

To the best of my knowledge there is no time limit on charge backs. When I worked at a merchant services company we had to help merchants defend against charge backs for purchases made 2+ years ago.

But lets hope it doesn't come to that regardless lol. I like to pretend that I'm going to get a pm back on the rog forums promising me a perfect solution and the best HJ of my life as an apology. lol. After all this RMA already sucks balls, least they could do is finish the job. :)

Back