ASUS Responds To Intel's Decision To Leave The Motherboard Market

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS sent us its official response to Intel's announcement yesterday that the company is leaving the motherboard market.

Enthusiasts and PC builders trust ASUS as their go-to brand when it comes to building desktops. As the global leader in motherboard design across multiple product ranges, ASUS remains strongly committed to developing a wide range of new and innovative motherboards now and well into the future. For the consumer segment we have invested significant resources to grow and sustain the Build Your Own ecosystem, including the PCDIY initiative designed to educate and inspire new builders, our ongoing support for the PC gaming community, and our grassroots program for university students across North America providing support for learning through a number of vehicles. For the commercial segment we have been on the forefront with the highly acclaimed Corporate Stable Model (CSM) program in North America. ASUS motherboards have been recognized by eChannelNews with their Resellers Choice Award for Best Motherboard several years in the row. ASUS CSM motherboards covers a full range of chipsets and form factors, and come complete with a guaranteed long shelf life, advance cross shipping, and Intel vPro Technology. With the Haswell-based 4th generation Core platform we plan to deepen our commitment to bring excitement and new opportunities to the desktop platform.

ASUS will continue to expand our close partnership with Intel to fully support their growing CPU and chipset roadmap with a wide selection of motherboards that provide the highest quality and ownership value in the market. We have the utmost confidence in Intel’s continued commitment to desktop CPUs and chipsets, and eagerly look forward to leading the next generation of Build Your Own enthusiasts and system builders.

You can see Intel's announcement here.

Could someone please explain why it matters if Intel no longer makes mobo's for their cpu chips?
I think I always used ASUS (or ey-soos :D), anyone else used other brands for their mobo's?

Just a player exiting the stage.

I have had a few Intel boards, they were good boards.

Could someone please explain why it matters if Intel no longer makes mobo's for their cpu chips?
I think I always used ASUS (or ey-soos :D), anyone else used other brands for their mobo's?

Intel is a big ship and its turning. This is an indicator of the speed and angle of that turn.

I can't I even remember an Intel board that was ever recommended since the Socket 7 days (maybe a couple Socket 370 gems). I'm surprised they stayed in the market this long.

I can't I even remember an Intel board that was ever recommended since the Socket 7 days (maybe a couple Socket 370 gems). I'm surprised they stayed in the market this long.
Intel motherboards were always the super stable, non-overclockable, limited feature boards. Basically, they sold what you would install in your parent's pc where simplicity and stability were preferred. Occasionally they would have some interesting boards such as Skulltrail and a few other non-standard embedded designs that were interesting. Unfortunately, everything they did was rarely unique and covered somehow by one of the dozens of other motherboard manufacturers.

It's evidence for the possibility that Intel will be moving away from the traditional components market. There have been some rumblings that at some point in the future Intel's CPUs will be sold soldered into motherboards as embedded systems.

Intel motherboards were always the super stable, non-overclockable, limited feature boards. Basically, they sold what you would install in your parent's pc where simplicity and stability were preferred. Occasionally they would have some interesting boards such as Skulltrail and a few other non-standard embedded designs that were interesting. Unfortunately, everything they did was rarely unique and covered somehow by one of the dozens of other motherboard manufacturers.

http://hardocp.com/reviews/motherboards_chipsets/1/intel

Lots of questions and not too many answers yet. Eventually though things were bound to change anyways. Intel is developing post silicon materials for cpu design. They're pouring money by the boatload into smaller and smaller processes. We're rapidly approaching the time when they will hit a wall even on new materials, atoms are just too big to build cpu's with!

The other problem, as I seem to recall, was they didn't price their boards very competitively. You could buy a feature rich, overclocking beast from Asus for around the same price and typically my experience with the Asus boards was stability on top of everything else.

I used them in builds for family, who did not care about features. They recognized the Intel logo when they booted up their computer - an Asus or MSI logo would be foreign to them. That's mostly what it was. I knew they'd be stable, and the Intel logo would assure them they didn't have some off-brand cheap stuff.

At first I thought the headline said that Asus was responding to Asus' decision to leave the Motherboard Market. I did the biggest WTF face ever.

And ASUS will continue to have super crappy RMA support.

I had one of the faulty P67 motherboards and I didn't RMA it for about 9 months, and when I finally did, Asus handled very well.

What? Wow, everyone I know buys Asus. I have 4 of them right now.:confused:

I remember having the venerable ASUS CUV4X-DLS :)

I miss my 300A's at 450...

Annoyance

At first I thought the headline said that Asus was responding to Asus' decision to leave the Motherboard Market. I did the biggest WTF face ever.

I had one of the faulty P67 motherboards and I didn't RMA it for about 9 months, and when I finally did, Asus handled very well.

I've had nothing but good RMA experiences with ASUS. The only companies I avoid are Diamond and HIS , they are both the worst of just about any industry.

Since I use Intel MBs almost exclusively, I checked out your review on the ASUS V Extreme, and Formula MBs, which sounded pretty good.
As you didn't include the price of these MBS, I went to NewEgg, and checked that out too.
At #359.99 and $369.00 each they are a little pricey, compated to the Intel DZ77GA-70K, Core i7 3770K CPU, I am using now.
But, the real surprise was when I checked out the "Feedback" from purchasers of those supposedly "Top of the Line" ASUS MBs.
Maybe two thirds of the feed backs loved them, and had no problems at all.
But to me, the real story was what happened to the last one third of the buyers.
Some of them were on their second ASUS DOA MB, and none of them were satisfied with the ASUS, or NewEgg, handling of their problems.
Seems like ASUS doesn't want to replace these MBS, without making them jump through a lot of BS, and even then, sends them a "Repaired" MB, instead of a NEW one?
Also, seem to be a lot of "Finger Pointing", between ASUS, and NewEgg", while ignoring the buyers, or trying to make good on the DOA MBs.
That tells me a lot of things, which would keep me from spending big bucks on ASUS MBs to start with.
I only had one DOA Intel MB, of the five systems I built, that one was the original Sandy Bridge, and it was handled much better, and faster, than any of the ASUS buyers are currently getting treated with their DOA MBs?

Keep in mind that a lot of those people buying these high-end flashy motherboards are using them to do serious overclocking of their CPU, bus, and video cards. Often with marginal PSUs.

If you get a MB and CPU and video card, and immediately start pushing them as hard as they can go and something fails, you're pretty dumb. And a lot of people who go through that head straight to NewEgg to leave shitty reviews about how the board "was DOA" when in reality they killed it themselves.

Keep in mind that a lot of those people buying these high-end flashy motherboards are using them to do serious overclocking of their CPU, bus, and video cards. Often with marginal PSUs.

If you get a MB and CPU and video card, and immediately start pushing them as hard as they can go and something fails, you're pretty dumb. And a lot of people who go through that head straight to NewEgg to leave shitty reviews about how the board "was DOA" when in reality they killed it themselves.

This. Totally and completely, THIS.

All too often, even now, I hear about how people are dissatisfied with this or that build, and when you go over it, everything sounds perfect, and often times one BEASTLY machine....until you find that they used some sub-$50 bargain bin power supply to power the whole thing.

A friend of mine likes to throw money at his computer situation every time it comes up, only to come out completely dissatisfied. He loathes system noise like no other. As a result, he more or less has bought into just about every bit of snake oil "silent" accessory, part or even a whole computer that you can think of, only to find out it's complete and utter BS. He'd get frustrated about it, naturally, and I'd keep telling him if he wants things done the way he wants it done, he needs to start doing research. "I don't have time for research" he says, to which I say "If you don't have time to do research, then you better have money to do it all over again, because that's exactly what it's going to cost you. And I can guarantee you, if you don't have time to research, you'll be making time to try again."

It only took about 2 or 3 $2000+ systems before he finally started listening to me. And now that he did, he's finally got a system he's happy with. Had he done this in the first place, he'd probably have saved himself a lot of time, trouble and probably at least one computer's worth of money.

That being said, I've never had a bad Asus board. I have used Asus for three different builds I've had over time and not a single one was bad in any way. I DID manage to kill one, but that was a very noobish mistake on my part and I should have known better. That was in no way any fault of Asus, and totally on my part for knowing better, but not acting on it out of laziness. I didn't go Asus this time around on my current build because I couldn't find a board in my price range, and the board I did pick out seemed to be a better value anyway. Next time however, I will probably go Asus.

To me, in order to get an Intel motherboard to be stable, you had to flash the motherboard to the newest BIOS. Now I had numerous builds with the older D945GTP/GNT motherboards and in order to get the BIOS update to work, you had to disable the onboard NIC. The BIOS update refused to work if it was enabled.

Never had any problems with Intel motherboards. I used some on some Atom machines I've built for HTPCs. Just flashed the newest BIOS at the time of the build, like I always do with all computers I put together.

About ASUS, I had a not-so-good experience with the A7V. Hell, that was a long time ago. All my games were acting weird, changing colors and all, until I figured out I should've set AGP to 2x instead of 4x. Still, I guess the VIA chipset was at fault, because all the other mobos I got from ASUS were great.

intel motherboards were never that compelling and dont stack up to an asus or a gigabyte board, never used them so good for intel they should focus on making processors and the other things they do well at and use those resources elsewhere

Does this simply mean there won't be any more retail boxed Intel CPUs, or will the mobo industry have to come up with its own CPU socket that can handle future Intel CPUs in BGA packaging?

I've had the worst luck with Intel mainboards.

Had to replace 3 of them at work in industrial controller PCs. (We picked Intel figuring zomg, they'd be the best).

They wouldn't turn on most of the time unless you reseated the memory. And we tried different memory from multiple computers. Oh well, I replaced all of them with Core i3 / ASUS Z67 boards. :p

And ASUS will continue to have super crappy RMA support.

Although I have heard people having bad RMA experience with Asus, I have done roughly 5-7 RMAs with them in the past, all have gone smoothly. Some were cross-shipped, others I had to ship them the bad board first. One time, I had a P5K Deluxe that the heatsink connector stop working, they sent me a brand new board, which OCed way better than the one I sent to them. Not a negative experience and I hope to continue that way.

Back