Asus Republic of Gamers NOT..

Built a system last night using an Neweg "open box" Asus Striker,E6600,Crucial ballistix and 7900gt.
Preloaded a copy of windows to the hard drive on another computer then swapped the drive into the striker box.
About 10 minutes after POST the mobo/video drivers were loaded and was browsing the net.
NO problems yet, will follow up after OCing and going SLI.

Yo Yip

Learn to read. You havn't bothered to read squat. The only way you are avoiding SCP is by using the 802 or 803 bios or some newer beta. There are people posting in this thread verifying what I am saying so if you don't know how to read ENGLISH learn it.

Yea I had my Striker working pretty damn good with the 802 bios. I only noticed SCP on 1 or 2 occasions. I guess thats progress but unfortunately that may be the end of it. Not completely fixed but good enough. Where the HELL do you think I put the XFI GUY?

I have 2 EVGA 8800 GTXs. There is only one damn slot to put it in. What a stupid comment.

I am not repeating myself about the purpose of this thread. I think when I read that Asus is painting a copper coating on some form of metal that will happen on the Commando and other boards.

Your little hostile attack on me is noted but does not change the facts.

I am really done with mine. The BFG board gives me 3.63ghz Stable and that is great for my investment. I feel confident that when I upgrade to a Quad Core I might hit 4ghz.

Yip you are not reading the other more experienced overclockers of the Striker. They are the ones waiting and silently pissed off that their 400 dollar board is not performing. Why don't you tell them what you think. They are in this thread. Look in both threads that address Asus screw ups. How long are we going to have to wait?

With all these mystery bios files being named its enough to make you just throw in the damn towel on this board.

Remember I HAVE ONE AND I WANT TO USE IT. I want it to be better than the BFG board.

I don't even know why I wasted my time posting to someone called "Yip" but I think you are obviously a wimp so to speak in not addressing

LeegHoofd

What about what he has said and his personal findings. His board got hit by 803 and he did not lose it as bad as me obviously. I didn't pull the battery. I used the Clear Cmos jumper a few times with no luck. I pulled every damn card and memory out of the board. It proved to me it was due to some Voltage issue hitting my CPU. The only part on the board at this point.

And the point still remains. Crappy quality is being put in these boards yet they appear like they are not. This includes the new Commando board.

Your probably a Yip Asus Tech support guy pissed off. Thats fine I don't care.

I am actually counting the days till they get the Striker usable. I should be able to replicate the same overclocking procedure I did on the BFG and get the same stable clock.

If they are into the 09xx bios versions now they should have a beta out. I guess there will be no more beta bios from Asus. What does that tell you?

I am counting the days. At least nVidia is giving dates on the releases of the drivers we all need. At the end of February they are guaranteeing a WHQL SLI driver with OverClocking for 8800s and then they say at the end of March SLI WHQL for 7000 series users.

Asus is saying NOTHING to the public. I wouldn't trust a bios from some website that it is leaked to. I suppose some here have confidence that it might be worth the risk.

Lastly if you handn't posted that crap I would have not come back in here.

Look mate you got a bad experience with this board and didn't have the time to sit it out, fair enough. 0901beta bios we got was from Asus tech in Germany, it works fine for the SLI sound issue and is rock stable, still just the Vcore issue regulated according the strap...I never saw or had the chance to test the 0804 bios as it was only given to customers who had a corrupted bios due to a flash

I'm not an Asus techie or die hard fan, but here EVGA boards weren't really available plus at that time suffering heavily from data corruption,sound issues,... The non reference boards weren't hindered by those issues... so I choose to go for the Striker.

For the copper , indeed it's an alloy with copperpaint, I have removed the heatsink shite and it's damn lightweight, copper not in a million years. Abit only has real copper in their heatsinks on the Quad GT not on their IN9 BEAST, not till now to say....I'm still abog fan of a good heatsink with a small slow spinning fan...

It's just like said before the price we pay for buying the latest non tested hardware... I have had enthousiast boards for years now from ABIT,ASUS ,DFI,FOXCON and it's always a 3-4 month wait till some real good bios comes out... for me till now only good support was from DFI and ABIT also for RMA and questions....25 bios is out for EVGA boards , Asus and Abit will have to work harder becasue they choose to go the non reference way

I don't blame you for feeling ripped off it's just the way you hammer it down that has brought you into this spot. I'm quite pleased with my Striker hell if it was 50 bucks cheaper it was even better, but his the high end market with that little extra bling and you will pay heavily for it....and it's stable my friend (0402 or 0901) don't worry about that just the Vcore issue remains the bitch for heavy overclokers....

Just for ya quad core I hope you can bring it to 4ghz but that will need some mega cooling to be stable 24/7 and it own't be doable on air nor water (unless you use a waterchiller) so don't dream about those speeds 3.6 will be more feasible, going Q6600 myself in april when the prices will drop from Intel.

And I don't quite see what crap I posted I only posted what I experienced and what may users at extreme and I4memory forum experience with the Striker...I remain objective and tell what I get from my board, how to resolve it, ....And I really feel this board isn't a board to mess with for the PC nOOb too many options, surely voltage settings and the Nvidia chipset is soo sensitive to any changes it can be lethal to ya hardware.

I think my last phrase said it all in my previous comment "For me this board is like Q4 ;it's flashy, looks fab, plays not too bad but needs that fix urgently to stay on competitive level...." We have been waiting for a decent update to Quake4 since it has been released, 1.4 patch seems promising but it's till far from perfect !!

I hope you enjoy ya BFG while I enjoy my Striker...

Hey would you mind giving me and others a link to the 901 bios?

I just went to the German Asus site and could not find it. I tried AsusTek as well and no luck.
So you know far more as to where to find the latest bios revisions.

I have 3 chips so if one is screwed I got 2 more to try.

Could you give me the AsusTek or AsusTech link to that file? Please

But also keep in mind although the motherboard I am using seems to be getting no recognition and I am not
hailing it as the greatest. In fact I loaded Vista yesterday and I have had a lot of problems not that I didnt with the Striker.
But

I can Overclock my E6700 in a cool room to 3.63ghz Stable. If my room temperature gets to 80 degrees the computer has problems
running. Thats expected.

Soooooooooooooo.

I trust what you are saying about 901. your saying its better than 802 but I could only overclock to 3.29ghz with it.

Do you think I can hit 3.6 with the 901 bios?

only if you set 1.6 volts in the bios mate, you will get 1.55 real , I can run my E6600 like this at 3600 and higher but temps are too high , it normally only needs 1.41 volts to be Orthos stable in blend mode. It goes over 68°C in Coretemp, also can you run TAT ? mine always gives an error, guys with EVGA and BFG boards can run that lol Plz don't flash via winblows, I used EZ flash and it worked great..., reset bios then to defaults booted again and rig was up and running, also with 4gigs of ram ( two different types ) Superpi 32M stable... very ahppy for that in case Vista should ever be installed on this rig

Link is still on my webbie, it's an unofficial beta 0901 and still has the lock at 1.38 volts so I also guess your 6700 needs more powaa to run at 3600mhz , explaining why you could only hit 3.3 stable.

http://users.pandora.be/OAP/Striker0901/0901.rar

also if you can wait a full release is promised soon , a Corsair techie is trying it out and he doesn' t have no more Vcore lock , so that sounds promising, at the end read it and keep our fingers crossed :p

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2011875#post2011875

And sadly Bios 25 gave heaps of shite with my mates EVGA board, he's back on 24 :( damn this chipset !!!!

I don't favour any brand I just want to make all users enjoy this chipset , I'm on a mission :p

Hey man thanks VERY much for the info. What you are saying makes complete since now.
In fact my system Voltage with the Striker was like 11.6 V. I called BFG about my 1000watt power supply and asked them about that. They didnt know why it was that low and left the possibility that I had a defective supply. But now I know its the Striker Board or Bios.

I have exactly 12 V with the BFG board.

Yea if I were to Flash successfully to 901 I am sure I would be in the same boat and wouldnt be able to hit hight clocks. So I will wait like you said.

I appreciate it very much. I hope you are right in that they are making some serious headway in the magic bios. Hopefully I will see you post somewhere on the [H]ard Forum about it.

thanks

that's what a forum is all about mate and sometimes to curse and flame :p I just got here due to the fact that Dan_D ( the reviewer) had some good results with 0505 bios, still don't get it ! 0402 was good stability wise indeed 0505 but voltage wise 0402 was Uber, now hope this 09xx will help us all out of our misery...

I WANT VOLTAGES I CAN SET WRONGLY :D not determined by some goofy bios

1002 testing now

seems good Vcore is adjustable again wooohoooo got 1.4250 set in bios probe reads out 1.41 orthossing at 3600Mhz 1.41 volts seems good passed 40 minutes .....

Back