ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Strix RX 480

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers today announced Strix RX 480, an all-new VR-ready gaming graphics card with ultra-fast gaming performance, advanced cooling and reliability, and personalized styling. Powered by the latest AMD Radeon™ RX 480 graphics processing unit (GPU), clocked at 1330MHz in OC mode, ROG Strix RX 480 delivers up to 15%-faster performance in 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme and 19%-faster gaming performance in Hitman™ and Doom®.

ROG Strix RX 480 is packed with exclusive ASUS technologies, including DirectCU III with a patented triple wing-blade 0dB fan designed to deliver maximum airflow for 30%-cooler and three-times (3X) quieter performance, and ASUS FanConnect, which features GPU-controlled fan headers to connect to system fans for targeted supplemental cooling. Industry-exclusive Auto-Extreme technology with Super Alloy Power II components ensures premium quality and reliability.

This seems like a key passage:

Power allocation has been redesigned compared to reference. ROG Strix RX 480 with the use of a custom VRM (voltage regulator module) and PCB (printed circuit board) draws 100% of the GPU power from the PCIe power connectors (rather than splitting the load between the connector and the PCIe slot). Such a design ensure that the PCIe slot specifications for power consumption is not breached (the card may throttle if breached).

Any chance of finding out if it is a case of too few capable chips or was the consumption above their acceptable target? Or is that the same thing?
Well, when an AIB starts to build these custom cards, they pull from the chips they are supplied and start to see what kind of reliable overclocks they can get out of the batch. Apparently ASUS decided the clocks shown were all they could get reliably. Now what level of binning is going into this processs, if any, would be something the AIB would have to decide on, and how many resources it takes to accomplish that moving forward over time. Quite frankly, I thought 1400+ was a pretty high target considering what we know about AMD's Polaris.

Wait... Did anyone expect this to run close or above 1,4 GHz out of the box? I always thought that with luck custom cards may or may not hit 1,4 GHz when overclocked to max.

Available middle of August. Is that about the same time frame as other AIBs for the RX 480?

Wait... Did anyone expect this to run close or above 1,4 GHz out of the box? I always thought that with luck custom cards may or may not hit 1,4 GHz when overclocked to max.

It wasn't long ago people thought Polaris would easily bang out 1.6GHz speeds with overclocking and custom PCBs.

Last edited:
That's a huge cooler for a chip rated at 150W. Should be pretty quiet/overclock about a well as it can.

So far the highest officially announced OC out of the box is 1367, from the PowerColor Red Devil.

That's a huge cooler for a chip rated at 150W. Should be pretty quiet/overclock about a well as it can.

ASUS is doing well establishing that cooler on the halo 1080 and then spreading ti across all of the current Strix cards. Doesn't matter if it is overkill, ASUS will likely charge a small premium to more than cover the overkill. Then people will associate the cooler with one of the best GPUs on the market and buy the Strix 480 and 1060.

A 50 to 100 Mhz OC out of box on a first gen custom card seems fine too me. My guess is Asus could have pushed higher but the power numbers would hamper their reviews.
It is a decent 60 Mhz OC and the user can push for more if they desire.

I never really believed that asus will factory overclock this to 1400's by default that would be 140+ over factory. Plus after market cards have to leave headroom for more OC. So you might be able to get low 1400 after OC'ing and some voltage control I bet. If the chips are stable around the low 1400's they can't just clock them that high and sell them then there would be no OC headroom. For them to sell in the 1400's every ship would have to pass 1450+ and I doubt many chips are doing more than 1450. I expect low 1400s the best average OC. With rare cards hitting 1450 or so.

It wasn't long ago people thought Polaris would easily bang out 1.6GHz speeds with overclocking and custom PCBs.

not many here thought that to be honest. That was bullshit being spread by wtftech.com, I never believed 1.6ghz OC'ed card, when was the last time we saw a card OCed 300+ from stock value lol.

The best I expect with voltage tweaks from these oc cards is probably in the 1400s. With may be rare cards hitting high 1400s may be 1.5, some really lucky chips will hit that mark. Not many.

I never really believed that asus will factory overclock this to 1400's by default that would be 140+ over factory. Plus after market cards have to leave headroom for more OC. So you might be able to get low 1400 after OC'ing and some voltage control I bet. If the chips are stable around the low 1400's they can't just clock them that high and sell them then there would be no OC headroom. For them to sell in the 1400's every ship would have to pass 1450+ and I doubt many chips are doing more than 1450. I expect low 1400s the best average OC. With rare cards hitting 1450 or so.

I find more valuable a high out of the box clock rather than a manual overclock.. since the R9 200 series is nothing strange that under typical and normal conditions AIB AMD cards have little to non-existent OC headroom, sapphire, gigabyte, XFX all tend to reach a high enough clock out the box and done.. anything else required BIOS flash mods, water cooling, etc..

I find more valuable a high out of the box clock rather than a manual overclock.. since the R9 200 series is nothing strange that under typical and normal conditions AIB AMD cards have little to non-existent OC headroom, sapphire, gigabyte, XFX all tend to reach a high enough clock out the box and done.. anything else required BIOS flash mods, water cooling, etc..

I have never seen any AIB partner clock everything to the max and leave no headroom just not possible. Even the 290/290x had another 50-75 left in em with after market cards. They will always leave a little headroom because to have no headroom out of the box leave very high possibility of instability. If a card passes at 1400 and nothing above asus wont clock at 1400 they will clock around 50-60 less so it seems like there is still room left for improvement. All AIB partners do that, they don't want to be known as they made a card that doesn't overclock at all. It always makes it look good.

Lol, that bullshit being spread by wtftech.com was based off of Kyle's own quote:

Custom AMD RX 480 Graphics Cards Can Clock To 1480Mhz-1600Mhz Add-In-Board Partners Report
Kyle Bennet, editor at HardOCP.com revealed earlier today that AMD’s add-in-board partners — AIBs – report that RX 480 graphics cards with “extremely good air coolers” are hitting anywhere from 1480mhz to 1600mhz depending on the silicon lottery. Which is 17% to 26% higher than the stock clock speed of 1266Mhz on the reference RX 480 design.

Kyle Bennet :
AIB partners are reporting to me this morning that with extremely good custom air coolers the 480 GPUs are seeing from 1480MHz to 1600MHz clocks, but tell me it is a “lottery draw” on GPUs.

AMD RX 480 Custom Cards Can Hit 1.4-1.6Ghz AIBs Report - Asus Announces RX 480 Strix & MSI RX 480 Gaming Leaks Out

Well Kyle sources aren't that great when it comes to AIB I guess. May be these cards overclock if given enough juice who knows. We will just have to wait and find out. However I do expect 1400'ish from these cards. we all know it starts sucking a lot of juice at high clocks. So I really don't think they want to be known as making a 300w card out of the box lol. I am betting around 1400 or so it will already be taking in around 200w.

I think Kyle will prove right again since it looks like it will manually overclock to 1400 on at least half of them

Well Kyle sources aren't that great when it comes to AIB I guess. May be these cards overclock if given enough juice who knows. We will just have to wait and find out. However I do expect 1400'ish from these cards. we all know it starts sucking a lot of juice at high clocks. So I really don't think they want to be known as making a 300w card out of the box lol. I am betting around 1400 or so it will already be taking in around 200w.

Love or hate wtftech.com, you should at least admit that you slandered them unfairly in this case when they sourced their info directly from the owner/editor of [H]ardOCP. As far as bashing Kyle's sources, you'll have to address that with him personally. Moral to the story, you stuck your foot in your mouth and should admit your mistake. Peace, in the Middle East.................

Love or hate wtftech.com, you should at least admit that you slandered them unfairly in this case when they sourced their info directly from the owner/editor of [H]ardOCP. As far as bashing Kyle's sources, you'll have to address that with him personally. Moral to the story, you stuck your foot in your mouth and should admit your mistake. Peace, in the Middle East.................

I don't apologize for wtftech.com, will never apologize to that shit website that spreads bullshit rumors. Plus go back and look at other stories he had. Kyle's was the last one, he had plenty before that recycled from bullshit sources that rx480 hitting 1.5ghz plus crap. Overhyping the product that even amd wanted him to shut up and offered him a card to get him under NDA.

No apologies necessary so no I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. I was referring to the numerous stories before kyle. That guy took a few weeks off after the heat he took for recycling every rumor and trying to make it like he has sources. the guy is the biggest bullshitter I have ever met. It's like his colleagues told him to take a vacation.

It wasn't this case so yes i will slander him until they stop posting bullshit and reword everything and make it seem like he has sources that are leaking him info lol.

I have never seen any AIB partner clock everything to the max and leave no headroom just not possible. Even the 290/290x had another 50-75 left in em with after market cards. They will always leave a little headroom because to have no headroom out of the box leave very high possibility of instability. If a card passes at 1400 and nothing above asus wont clock at 1400 they will clock around 50-60 less so it seems like there is still room left for improvement. All AIB partners do that, they don't want to be known as they made a card that doesn't overclock at all. It always makes it look good.

So you honestly think, 50mhz-75mhz or even 100mhz is anything good of overclock headroom?. that just speak of how close the card is already to the limit which will receive very little performance increase from the final overclock.. just a fast and little example Original HD7970 non Ghz non-boost no powerplay bullshit.. those card are the best of the best overclockers of the AMD cards until the present it wasn't uncommon to see those cards over 1250mhz and good samples under water over 1300mhz and this was a 925mhz card stock, as soon as they started to launch GHZ edition boosting to 1050mhz then everything went to the shit in overclocking headroom as most of AIB were shipping those cards at 1150mhz on high-end models and overclocking reaching as much as 1200mhz but with the vastly majority being unable to go too much stable beyond that 1150mhz barrier, in fact after the rebrand we had 280X that even wasn't able to go effectively over 1150mhz some cards even failed at over stock 1100mhz.

What's the point of all this shit? they preferred to keep a high clock out of the box to keep competition even if they killed overclock headroom margins as not every user that own a GPU have intentions to overclock so a high clock out of the box is always going to be preferred for the vast majority of users that only like to plug the card and play, so what would you prefer the same 925mhz card or a 1150mhz out of the box that's already pre-OC'd for you and with guaranteed stability?

So you honestly think, 50mhz-75mhz or even 100mhz is anything good of overclock headroom?. that just speak of how close the card is already to the limit which will receive very little performance increase from the final overclock.. just a fast and little example Original HD7970 non Ghz non-boost no powerplay bullshit.. those card are the best of the best overclockers of the AMD cards until the present it wasn't uncommon to see those cards over 1250mhz and good samples under water over 1300mhz and this was a 925mhz card stock, as soon as they started to launch GHZ edition boosting to 1050mhz then everything went to the shit in overclocking headroom as most of AIB were shipping those cards at 1150mhz on high-end models and overclocking reaching as much as 1200mhz but with the vastly majority being unable to go too much stable beyond that 1150mhz barrier, in fact after the rebrand we had 280X that even wasn't able to go effectively over 1150mhz some cards even failed at over stock 1100mhz.

What's the point of all this shit? they preferred to keep a high clock out of the box to keep competition even if they killed overclock headroom margins as not every user that own a GPU have intentions to overclock so a high clock out of the box is always going to be preferred for the vast majority of users that only like to plug the card and play, so what would you prefer the same 925mhz card or a 1150mhz out of the box that's already pre-OC'd for you and with guaranteed stability?

1150 card still had oc headroom. why are you arguing that point. they wont clock a card that runs max at 1400 at 1400. Thats my point. They will always clock it lower, no one will every sell a card a total max clocks. That's taking a chance. If these cards max out at 1400 or no AIB in their right mind will push it to those speeds out of the gate.

Ofcourse I would have a card running at 1150 thats not the point. My point being they will always leave headroom. It just looks bad during a review, where the reviewer says well the card didn't overclock at all, we got 10mhz above stock speeds. Just sounds like shit.

1150 card still had oc headroom. why are you arguing that point. they wont clock a card that runs max at 1400 at 1400. Thats my point. They will always clock it lower, no one will every sell a card a total max clocks. That's taking a chance. If these cards max out at 1400 or no AIB in their right mind will push it to those speeds out of the gate.

Ofcourse I would have a card running at 1150 thats not the point. My point being they will always leave headroom. It just looks bad during a review, where the reviewer says well the card didn't overclock at all, we got 10mhz above stock speeds. Just sounds like shit.

just exactly what I said in my earlier post.

since the R9 200 series is nothing strange that under typical and normal conditions AIB AMD cards have little to non-existent OC headroom

I never say AIB never leave any OC headroom but some cards were even unable to get more than 25mhz and that's ridiculous don't you think? that's what I said.. 25mhz or even 50mhz is little to non-existent OC headroom and will offer minimum performance increase from the Overclocking procedure that would even worth the hassle, that's the point of the highest possible clocked AIB card, when you have several models of cards each priced the same or a very similar price you are going to pick always the higher clocked even if that instantly mean less OC headroom.

just exactly what I said in my earlier post.

I never say AIB never leave any OC headroom but some cards were even unable to get more than 25mhz and that's ridiculous don't you think? that's what I said.. 25mhz or even 50mhz is little to non-existent OC headroom and will offer minimum performance increase from the Overclocking procedure that would even worth the hassle, that's the point of the highest possible clocked AIB card, when you have several models of cards each priced the same or a very similar price you are going to pick always the higher clocked even if that instantly mean less OC headroom.

True, but I think AIBs plan on having just 1 aftermarket version of the rx480. Because they are probably trying to keep these below 300 it seems. Like we are seeing used to seeing multiple different versions of higher end cards.

I don't apologize for wtftech.com, will never apologize to that shit website that spreads bullshit rumors. Plus go back and look at other stories he had. Kyle's was the last one, he had plenty before that recycled from bullshit sources that rx480 hitting 1.5ghz plus crap. Overhyping the product that even amd wanted him to shut up and offered him a card to get him under NDA.

No apologies necessary so no I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. I was referring to the numerous stories before kyle. That guy took a few weeks off after the heat he took for recycling every rumor and trying to make it like he has sources. the guy is the biggest bullshitter I have ever met. It's like his colleagues told him to take a vacation.

It wasn't this case so yes i will slander him until they stop posting bullshit and reword everything and make it seem like he has sources that are leaking him info lol.

You won't apologize even though you slammed them for posting an article based solely on the word of Kyle. Whatever bro, pat yourself on the back for becoming the first person to land on my ignore list.

You won't apologize even though you slammed them for posting an article based solely on the word of Kyle. Whatever bro, pat yourself on the back for becoming the first person to land on my ignore list.
No I didn't. I slammed them for posting it way before Kyle. Kyle's wasn't the only article they posted. Educate yourself. I am sure there will plenty on this forum that know this how he claimed 1.5ghz and shit way before that. No I don't need to pat myself on the back cuz I deserve no credit for speaking the truth. I am sure you weren't here in these forums before the launch since you just joined on rx480 launch day. Just check out other threads when we made fun on him and even before Kyle's post. He was getting called out for it on his own website in the comments section. You are on this about Kyle when it's not just about him. That's just another thing he copy pasted.

Well clock rates aside if they can get 15% better result in firestrike from a 5% increased standard boost (1330 in OC mode) it tells you something about these AIB cards. Sounds like they won't throttle and by default their power targets will be loosened.

If they will hold their boosts in 4k then they will get a massive lift up there , avg boost from some of the reviews i read was ~ 1120 mhz in 4k for the ref card , so much for the ROPs been the issue there. I know its not its RX480 target res but for CFX ppl this will be great.

TL;DR sustaining the boost will make the most difference.. remove the temp throttling and power limitations and it sounds like 10% extra performance is coming just from that according to asus.

If the 1060 launches with AIB cards next week that will put a serious dent into AMD.

You're right because I really want a AIB rx480 but if they're still not available at end of month I may just go with a AIB 1060.

I honestly like what they did, the only other card to use 3 fans as of yet is PowerColor, its really too bad I wouldn't buy from either company sigh...

Well clock rates aside if they can get 15% better result in firestrike from a 5% increased standard boost (1330 in OC mode) it tells you something about these AIB cards. Sounds like they won't throttle and by default their power targets will be loosened.

If they will hold their boosts in 4k then they will get a massive lift up there , avg boost from some of the reviews i read was ~ 1120 mhz in 4k for the ref card , so much for the ROPs been the issue there. I know its not its RX480 target res but for CFX ppl this will be great.

TL;DR sustaining the boost will make the most difference.. remove the temp throttling and power limitations and it sounds like 10% extra performance is coming just from that according to asus.

This could very well be true. 15% only for 3dmark. They are claiming 19% in games like hitman and doom. So it probably is able to sustain its boost clocks all the time.

My understanding is that the aftermarket cards are significantly faster due to small overclocks (5-8%) plus not "throttling" below boost to the degree that the reference card does. AS of now, based on TPU's numbers, the GTX 1060 reference is slightly faster than the reference 480. But they also have an OC'd model, and like the 1070/1080, there's not much gain there. Nvidia's superior boost tech allows the card to go beyond it's rated boost clock if conditions allow, so overclocking doesn't add much to this anyway. AMD doesn't go beyond their boost clock. As a result, aftermarket 480s are likely to be slightly faster than aftermarket 1060s.

Bottom line is that they are all in the same ballpark in terms or performance and price. NV has power draw as a win, and AMD has 4GB models (price) as a win, once the aftermarket versions comes out. This is what competition looks like.

My understanding is that the aftermarket cards are significantly faster due to small overclocks (5-8%) plus not "throttling" below boost to the degree that the reference card does. AS of now, based on TPU's numbers, the GTX 1060 reference is slightly faster than the reference 480. But they also have an OC'd model, and like the 1070/1080, there's not much gain there. Nvidia's superior boost tech allows the card to go beyond it's rated boost clock if conditions allow, so overclocking doesn't add much to this anyway. AMD doesn't go beyond their boost clock. As a result, aftermarket 480s are likely to be slightly faster than aftermarket 1060s.

Bottom line is that they are all in the same ballpark in terms or performance and price. NV has power draw as a win, and AMD has 4GB models (price) as a win, once the aftermarket versions comes out. This is what competition looks like.
And 8gb models (vram) plus add dx12 loving gcn so sad and I'd say go 480. It's such a miniscule power difference.

Back