ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Rampage V Edition 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Rampage V Edition 10, a unique version of our flagship motherboard specially made to celebrate ROG’s 10th anniversary — and engineered to let gamers and overclockers break every limit. Rampage V Edition 10 has already broken three world records and achieved 14 global first places in 2D and 3D benchmarks. Based on the Intel® X99 chipset for the new Intel Core™ i7 processors for socket LGA 2011-v3, Rampage V Edition 10 is set to establish new industry standards. ROG’s latest powerhouse features many exciting new features, including the Aura RGB illumination system — with five independently-controlled onboard LED areas, plus one 4-pin RGB header for add-on RGB strips.
<[[image]]> <[[image]]>
Rampage V Edition 10 is equipped with many exclusive technologies to aid extreme overclockers and hardcore gamers. These include Extreme Engine Digi+ voltage-regulator module (VRM) for the cleanest, smoothest power, second-generation ASUS T-Topology technology for maxed-out DDR4 performance, and 5-Way Optimization for easy and stable overclocking with one click, and Fan Xpert 4 for the ultimate cooling. Rampage V Edition 10 features multiple technologies to deliver the best gaming experiences. The external SupremeFX Hi-Fi audio amplifier ensures flawless audio, dual Intel Gigabit Ethernet and GameFirst combine forces for no-lag networking, and all-new ASUS SafeSlot is the reinvented, reinforced PCI Express® slot with insert-molding tech that adds strength to every build — protecting gamers’ graphics-card investments. The new board introduces a patent-pending pre-mounted I/O shield for style, easier construction and enhanced durability. Rampage V Edition 10 also accelerates every transfer with extensive connectivity onboard, including U.2, M.2, USB 3.1, and 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

I'm not paying $600 for a few leds on the board. I would be splurging big time if it was $400.

Yay, fake X-fi. :meh:

Wayyyyyy to much for a board.

I have a hard time spending over $200 for a new motherboard.

The price premium of these "super high end" boards is just insane when you consider how little you get extra over the slightly less high end boards.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yay, fake X-fi. :meh:

Wayyyyyy to much for a board.

I have a hard time spending over $200 for a new motherboard.

The price premium of these "super high end" boards is just insane when you consider how little you get extra over the slightly less high end boards.

Yeah, you don't get much over say an X99 Deluxe II with that.

So they added PCI-E support and reinforcement, RGB, and some other minor changes and call it a 10 Edition and charge $600 USD. I'll pass considering that in Canadian dollars it will be close to almost 50% more by the time the cost is passed down to consumers.

They added USB 3.1 support, reinforcement to the PCIe slots, RGB lighting and a few minor things and are charging $150 more for it.

This is retarded. Do people really want plastic shrouds and Christmas lights on their computer hardware? I used half a roll of electrical tape to cover all the LED's in my house. So much for innovation. They should be adding more temperature sensors, fan headers, PCIE x16 slots, improving the fan management software.

like this
$600 motherboard, $1700 CPU..... $2300 for the latest and greatest.... I could build a badass gaming machine on 1151 and purchase an IPS 144hz screen for that amount. I understand that some people have money to burn but still, what a fuckin waste.

I think ASUS and the rest lost touch with their enthusiasts who put them on the map in the high end. They're now appealing to 'joegotslotsamoneyforapurdybox'.

I mourn the passing of DFi with every day...

And I don't even bother with high end mobos these days. You pay extra for onboard sound which can't compare to an external dac, flashy lights and barely any more I/O or other header functionality.

Someone should bring out a no frills enthusiast line. Green or gold old school PCB colour mobo, no leds and shit just lots and lots of good OC features, circuitry, stuff to plug in... external audio, mayyybe external lan (although onboard is convenient), plus no one has green PCBs anymore!

Black is soooo 2010! xD

I think ASUS and the rest lost touch with their enthusiasts who put them on the map in the high end. They're now appealing to 'joegotslotsamoneyforapurdybox'.

I mourn the passing of DFi with every day...

And I don't even bother with high end mobos these days. You pay extra for onboard sound which can't compare to an external dac, flashy lights and barely any more I/O or other header functionality.

Someone should bring out a no frills enthusiast line. Green or gold old school PCB colour mobo, no leds and shit just lots and lots of good OC features, circuitry, stuff to plug in... external audio, mayyybe external lan (although onboard is convenient), plus no one has green PCBs anymore!

Black is soooo 2010! xD

ASUS had a black PCB motherboard around 1999-2000 or so.

The thing you guys need to understand is that high end computer hardware is becoming more of a niche product with each passing day. PC sales have been dropping steadily for years with occasional blips here and there where sales spike due to popular games or whatever. The fact is that most people sit on their couches with tablets, in their living room with laptops, or browsing on their phones than they do sitting at a traditional computer desk. It doesn't matter how much better the traditional desktop experience can be, they still go for low cost devices that give them their social media or browsing fix anytime or anyplace. We have so much power in phones and tablets, that even laptops struggle to find relevance. While some of us old guys may deem case windows, LED lights and other fluff as nonsense, appearances are one of the things that separates gaming machines from work PCs or other devices. The gaming or DIY PC is all about choice and customization. Its one of the few things you can do that's useful and truly your own.

MSI saw massive sales increases when they started branding everything as "Gaming" motherboards and went to red and black across the board. It's no accident that the MPower and XPower motherboards dropped the yellow and black themes, and went with something more unique and gamer focused for aesthetics. In the 20 years I've been involved in this hobby, or profession, I've seen tons of fads come and go. One thing that hasn't is high priced hardware that few people can afford.

It's all still cheap compared to some of what we used to get. $3,000 used to be a lot more money back in the 1990's and earlier. You got a lot less and everything was varying degrees of slow. If you adjust for inflation a dual processor Pentium Pro 200 was far more expensive per CPU than even the 6950X. Remember Skulltrail? That was $600 for the motherboard, at least $400 for a decent amount of reasonably fast FB-DIMMs and $1,550 per CPU. AMD's 4x4 bullshit wasn't cheap either. In other words, nothing to see here. We've seen $600 enthusiast motherboards before. We've seen CPUs in far excess of $1,000 before. None of this should shock anyone who's been involved in this hobby more than a few years.

CUSL2--C-Black-Pearl.jpg

like this
I remember paying $250 for 2 MB of ram in an Apple IIGS. The SCSI card didn't come cheap either but it was better than inserting disc 5 of 20. I have a hard time believing LED's, gaming monikers, and Lamborghini-esque designs will pay off. However I forget most people, like our furry ancestors, are easily charmed by shiny objects.

I'm happy there is no reason to upgrade from a recently purchased X99 Sabertooth.

Honestly I'm not sure why it isn't a bit cheaper, similar to the Rampage V Extreme. $400-500 is already a hefty price to pay for a motherboard, but given the Rampage series having a record of being top-of-the-line for overclocking and reliability, I can see paying it. Raising the price even further is a bit of a disappointment.

The addition o the USB 3.1 is nice of course (though existing Rampage V Extreme owners can of course get USB 3.1 cards if they wish), RGB LEDs are a nice option so those who prefer color or effects can choose their hue and those who don't can turn them off. The new IO Guard and PCI-E Reinforcements are nice of course, but if today's coolers are so heavy shouldn't this be the standard amount of solder on ALL boards (or at least all Asus boards) and extra supportive clips? One interesting feature that I'd like to see more about is the sound card. Its my understanding that ROG boards have always included upgraded sound components, to the point most users may not need to use a discrete sound card. It seems this is being taken further with the Rampage V Extreme with a front bay audio device with a headphone amp and mic. Given the specs listed (and it is not Sound Blaster related if I recall. After all, Asus is known for making some of the best PC sound cards in recent years in the Xonar line) it seems like it could hold its own, push 600ohm headphones if need be etc. Overall, it looks like another top tier Rampage board from Asus ROG.... but the pricing is a bit absurd. Sell these at $400 or even up to $500 and I think they'd have a winner.

I don't lament he color scheme and LEDs too much. RGB LEDs actually give the user the ability to use any color scheme/pattern or turn off entirely. As for the PCB, I really can't fault a black one for a base color. Affter all, black "goes" with most things. Likewise, white. Red and blue are situational as to their aesthetically pleasing hardware combinations, and green is cool in an old school sort of way but it may make certain color choices more difficult; anything not listed is even more limited appeal. Dan already mentioned that those in the market for this board, like us, are a minority. There's an even smaller minority who would probably want an "old school, so ugly its cool" board for special build but it doesn't make sense. These boards to justify their prices and advertise the hardware capabilities need to say "power, performance, coolness, aesthetics". That means a lot of things to a lot of different people, even in the $500 mobo range, and it seems Asus is trying to cater to as many of them as possible.

Still wish they could work on the price, but now I'd like to see a comparison between the RVE Edition 10 and the MSI X99 GODLIKE P Carbon or whatever its called that is replacing the "Big Bang" moniker and is taking aim squarely at Asus ROG for the top spot in the ultra-enthusiast category.

The funny thing is, these motherboards have a lot less margin in them than you would think they would have. I don't have the exact pricing for the X99 chipset, but in the past the chipsets have accounted for nearly 2/3 the price of a normal mid-range motherboard. The i218v PHY is more expensive than most other network options. The wireless controller could easily be $10-30 of the price, the audio probably makes up $100 of the price on an ultra-high end motherboard. Ever since they went to dedicated audio capacitors, replaceable or programmable OP-AMPs, isolated PCB circuitry, dedicated power phases, and other things in some implementations, you are basically paying for $100+ sound card. The Realtek ALCxxxx line is cheaper than alternatives. The ESS CODEC onboard this motherboard is much more expensive than the Realtek would have been. LEDs by themselves are cheap, but not when you start adding multiple colors and the hardware to control them the costs start adding up. The Alpine Ridge controller with Thunderbolt 3 certification is more than $75 on it's own. A PLX chip is around $35 or so as I recall. Also keep in mind that often times PCB costs are a factor as well as they are outsourced to other companies.

Also keep in mind that the ASUS motherboard has removable BIOS ROMs, an ASIC that allows it to be flashed without a CPU, hardware monitoring chips, PCIe switches, and robust power phases. This stuff doesn't come as cheap as you think it does. Many people are under the false impression that a $250 or $300 is the same as a $500+ motherboard aren't getting into the nitty gritty of it. While the Intel NIC, and extra ASICs or high end audio solutions don't necessarily translate into greater overclocking or even performance, those features are costly to design and implement. I'm not saying ASUS couldn't sell this motherboard for less, but I don't think cost parity with the older Rampage V Extreme would be feasible. The audio solution and USB 3.1 controllers add a great deal of cost to the new model alone.

It's hard to get precise cost information out of the manufacturers, but I've talked with many of them at length, and they've occasionally ball parked approximate costs for me. In some cases you can go out and find out for yourself how much a PLX chip or Alpine Ridge controller actually costs. When you start doing the math it becomes clear why some of these top tier components are so damned expensive. If the extra features aren't things you'll use, then no it isn't worth it. For some people, these features are important no matter how trivial they may seem to others.

Back