ASUS Releasing New 20 GPU Cryptocurrency Mining Motherboard

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
ASUS has designed a new cryptocurrency mining motherboard that has 20 PCIe over USB slots onboard that can handle the same number of GPUs. They previously released a 19 GPU mining board which used PCIe x1 slots to handle the GPU load. The new board is going to be demonstrated at Computex 2018 in Taipei and should hit the market sometime after the show. This isn't new technology because others have released similar, but I believe this is a first by a major motherboard maker and it might be something miners would like to purchase since it will come with a nice warranty. All of you [H] miners need to chime in and let me know if this is something you've been looking for.

The updated State Detection GUI clearly identifies the location and status of each port along with the alphanumeric code that identifies it. To further streamline troubleshooting, the board will ship with matching alphanumeric labels to stick onto corresponding riser cards. You’ll be able to quickly look at the labels to find flagged GPUs instead of being forced to trace the path of cables connected to affected ports.

All I can do is hope it is too little, too late. Yeah, I know. There is no end to this cryptocrazed bullshit.

All they have to do is release new cards with firmware that locks down the cores and memory if its running in 1x PCI-E mode.

what would REALLY make me laugh hard.. is if some company took it upon themselves to write a new BIOS for this board, and the like, that secretly diverted a hash to 2, to another server to siphon it off for their own gain. then resold these boards to the mining public.

lol. Did you actually read the article? It's a pretty cool product. Can connect 3 power supplies directly to the motherboard. No 1x riser cards. post screen shows which gpu's are connected properly.

I know most of you have a strong dislike for mining but... for what it is, this is quite the product.

I can totally see that being a gaming motherboard once the ASIC miners come into fruition.

I've always been curious about the non-mining potential of these boards. For example an entry level four channel 1080p A/V mixer starts at around $2500. I bet a more capable unit could be built using one of these for half the cost.

This is kind of fun, but from a practical perspective, is there really a benefit to hosting 20 GPUs in one system for mining versus running 3 separate systems? My understanding is mining scales across machines very well, and doesn't need a lot of cpu; and you're probably density limited by the GPUs? So adding a motherboard, cpu, ram and what not for every 5-7 cards doesn't seem too bad to me, unless this is really just to reduce the amount spent on non-mining components?

I'm not sure how this would be very useful for other things, I'd rather get a quad port nic than 4 single port nics, etc.

This is kind of fun, but from a practical perspective, is there really a benefit to hosting 20 GPUs in one system for mining versus running 3 separate systems? My understanding is mining scales across machines very well, and doesn't need a lot of cpu; and you're probably density limited by the GPUs? So adding a motherboard, cpu, ram and what not for every 5-7 cards doesn't seem too bad to me, unless this is really just to reduce the amount spent on non-mining components?

I'm not sure how this would be very useful for other things, I'd rather get a quad port nic than 4 single port nics, etc.

its all about ROI and min/maxing

Well there are a lot of reason having one system with many GPU's is better and preferred by most miners.

1. Space saving: Having only one rack that can hold 19 GPU's uses a lot less space than having 4 racks that hold 6 GPU's. Space is always an issue for miners as you can only fit so much in the allotted space. So if you can consolidate your required systems but maintain or even increase your performance in less space. Why not.
2. Less to manage: Having to manage multiple systems is time consuming, and also has more things that can go wrong across the multiple systems which can impact you mining performance/profits. Consolidating you management needs to a single platform reduces management and maintenance time which is a major plus.
3. The cost of the extra hardware. Miners face three hurdles to make a profit. First is cost of power, second is return on hardware cost and third is hash rates/block difficulty increases. Reducing any and all of this is always a plus for miners so the less hardware you have to purchase increases you time to profitability. Every bit counts.

Yes. It reduces the per-slot cost if you only need 1x CPU/RAM/MB/PSU/OS to drive 20 GPU's instead of 3x sets of CPU/RAM/MB/PSU/OS. But then this board isn't intended for hobby miners. It's meant for larger operations since it requires specialized GPU's to make use of all 20 slots.

It might be better to dedicate bottom bin cards for the purpose of mining, ones that wouldn't pass video gaming tests but fine for other uses.

Back