ASUS Releases New Threadripper X399 Motherboards

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS has an in-depth writeup about its new X399 Threadripper motherboards. The ROG Zenith Extreme, ROG Strix X399-E, and Prime X399-A are outlined

Sadly, there don't seem to be ANY Threadripper boards with any standard PCI slots :(. I really should have expected this considering how few Ryzen boards have any (just 2), and both of those boards were using the B350 chipset. Fortunately, my Asus Prime B350-Plus has been good to me so far.

Sadly, there don't seem to be ANY Threadripper boards with any standard PCI slots :(. I really should have expected this considering how few Ryzen boards have any (just 2), and both of those boards were using the B350 chipset. Fortunately, my Asus Prime B350-Plus has been good to me so far.
What is so important that you want them to cram PCI on those boards as well?

I have an Auzentech soundacard that integrates very well into my surround sound system, and I have no desire to replace it. Also, there are many PCI cards out there (for specialized hardware) , so having a slot or 2 can still be very useful. I certainly have far more uses for 3 or 4 PCI-E slots and 2 PCI slots than I do for 5 PCI-E slots. I'm never going SLI/Crossfire, and other than my PCI-E E-SATA RAID controller, I've never really had a need for any PCI-E slots beyond what my graphics card requires.

Mind you, this is just my needs and my opinion - YMMV. :) Having moved to Ryzen from an FX-8320, I went from having a few PCI slots as a matter of course to being surprised at how hard it suddenly was to actually find a mobo equipped with them at all. I guess I should count myself fortunate that I was able to get such a board for Ryzen at all... :)

With supposedly 64 lanes, why is ASUS having the M.2 borrow from the SATA ports and why are there only 6 SATA ports regardless of sharing with the M.2?

Back