Asus Rampage V Gene

Should Asus release a Rampage V Gene

• Yes, bring on the octacore, SLI SFF builds!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • No, it's a waste of lanes and RAM slots

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

Aibohphobia

[H]ard|Gawd
Rampage-V-Gene_mockup-900x859.jpg

Unfortunately it's just a mockup, Raja@ASUS has stated that Asus currently has no plans for a Rampage V Gene :(

I'm a big fan of powerful SFF builds but I don't feel that any of the current mATX X99 boards are good enough so I'd like to petition Asus to consider bringing out a Rampage V Gene.

Mostly I just want an updated version of the Rampage IV Gene, nothing crazy and exotic that would require lots of R&D. However I really, really want the ability if at all possible to run the slots in a PCIe 3.0 x16 / x4 / x8 configuration with the 5820K. This would allow for SLI/Crossfire setups with a empty slot between the cards in five slot cases like the 350D. This way the top card doesn't suffocate and it frees up the middle slot for a sound card, PCIe SSD, etc.

Wishlist (assuming all the standard ROG features from the other current boards is included)

• Allow x16 / x4 / x8 lane configuration with the 5820K
  • Bundled USB 3.0 right-angle adapter
  • low-profile front panel header extension (so a video card in the bottom slot doesn't put pressure on the front panel connectors)
  • PCIe 3.0 x4 for the M.2 slot (or at least x2)
  • All PWM capable fan headers
  • Intel AC Wireless
  • Thermal armor option
  • The ability to run a x16 / x8 / x16 lane configuration with the 5930K/5960X

Last edited:
I'd love a mATX board. M.2 is perfect for small for factor builds, can save PCIe slots, and make perfect sense together. EVGA and ASRock obviously believes there is a market for it. It's kinda silly to have 4 ATX and extended ATX options, but no mATX options. Asus is flooding one area of the market, and leaving another part completely open.

Those that voted no, care to share any details about why you don't want to see a mATX X99 board from Asus? Just curious.

yes, please. waiting for a matx board from asus before i pull the trigger on x99.

I'd love to see a Gryphon X99! :)

Then again, looking at your wish list, I'd really like to see them implemented. Especially that wireless feature and PCI-e configurations...

Last edited:
I like this idea, though I think I'm going with the RVE as my desktop the idea of a smaller system for my living room is very enticing.

Yes! Asus makes the most feature-rich flagship uATX MoBo's, and it'd be a crying shame if they broke their reliable cycle of releasing a Gene for every chipset by leaving the X99 platform high and dry.

If they don't want to make a Gene, then I'd happily accept an X99 Gryphon, as long as it has three full speed x16 PCIe 3.0 slots (even though that would completely screw up my black and red PC theme).

I'd love to see a Gryphon X99! :)

I'd love to see a whole mATX X99 lineup: Gene, Gryphon, Black Edition, and Sabranco :D

If they don't want to make a Gene, then I'd happily accept an X99 Gryphon, as long as it has three full speed x16 PCIe 3.0 slots (even though that would completely screw up my black and red PC theme).

If they did mATX X99 I don't see why it wouldn't start with the Gene. All they need to do is update the X79 Gene with the new features from the current gen.

I would happily take a Gryphon over nothing though.

I've built tons of systems for me and others in the past. Nowdays I find it hard to justify any m/b larger than mATX and any case bigger than mini tower, unless it's a dual-cpu SMP system.

I feel the same way. I work in a computer shop and very, very rarely does anyone bring in a computer with more than 2 expansion cards.

The Tech Report surveyed their readers recently and their results mirrored my observations: http://techreport.com/review/27113/the-typical-enthusiast-pc-is-more-decked-out-than-you-might-think/3

75% said they don't have any expansion cards other than a GPU and sound card yet 72% have ATX motherboards :rolleyes:

Their survey has self-selection bias since the responders are people who read a computer hardware review site yet even then only 9% are running SLI/CrossFire, 90% are running just a single card. So mATX boards with useable bottom slots (allowing a video card in the top and bottom slot, leaving the middle slot free for a sound card) should accommodate the vast majority of users.

Last edited:
Rather have the Gigabyte or even MSI version of this motherboard, but if Asus does a good job, and others don't deliver, sure take my money!

Me too, they've been consistently releasing Rampage mATX boards for the last several generations so it was quite a surprise to me that they skipped X99 :(

Especially since now there is a $400 hexacore option so X99 is pretty compelling for those who want to make the jump past the typical quad-core setup.

Personally, one of the MAJOR features selling me in X79/99 is the doubled ram capacity. Removing that makes it less appealing. Yes, it's quad channel, but I want 256GB in a shoebox. Give is an MATX board with the full 8 memory slots.

Also, why only 3 PCI-E? With watercooling, people could fit 4 high-powered video cards on MATX. Put the M2 slot elsewhere, on the back of the board like some manufacturers do, or have it be an included add-on card like Asus has done in the past.

Back