Asus Rampage III Formula X58 - Memory config

Xa3phod

Limp Gawd
So, if you had a choice, which is better overall:

6 gigs (3 sticks 2 gigs each) of DDR3-1066 ram which will run in triple channel mode?

16 gigs of (2 sticks of 8 gigs each) DDR3-1600 ram in dual channel mode?

Obviously, 1600 > 1066, but when it comes to triple channel vs dual channel, I'm not sure.

Running Xeon X5670 on the above mentioned Mobo.

Thanks!

When the X58 was first released I saw an article comparing performance in dual & triple channel and their conclusion was that there was only about a 2% hit in dual, everything else being equal.

Based on those results, then adjusting for the variables that (a) you would be moving to faster clocked ram & (b) more than doubling your ram capacity I would have to believe the 16GB option would be best overall.

My experience with the SR2 is that having fewer sticks of RAM helps CPU overclock, as does running such sticks as slow as possible.

Definitely the 2x8GB. 6GB of RAM really isn't enough for a gaming system assuming that's what it's used for.

I appreciate the help. Ram so so darn expensive now. Should I bother getting a third stick of that ram? If its only 2%, I would say probably not. Also, from 16 to 24 gigs of ram, will I really see any difference in gaming? I don't think so.

48GB 6@8GB ripjaws running on R3F here

go big or go home

48GB 6@8GB ripjaws running on R3F here

go big or go home

Haha, I did this exact setup on a Sabertooth for years. It was awesome. Now I'm at 64GB 4x16 sticks on my x99. When I bought that 64GB kit, I thought it was pretty expensive at $350. Now they want like $900 for it. LOL!

Anyway, I'd surely go with the 16GB. It's better in every way. Maybe if RAM ever comes down a little bit you can grab the last stick to get the tri-channel.

dude, my every day loads are eating a quarter of this RAM, would never go back

Back