ASUS Rampage II X58 mATX ETA ...

ASUS is giving me an opportunity to RMA the board.

I'm doubtful that it's a case of limited CPU overclock as the volts I have the system at to achieve 4.0 are next to nothing over stock - WHEN the system boots I have zero issues, it just strikes early in the BIOS loading portion of the system - hence I'm thinking I may not have enough voltage going to some portion of the board.

In regards to the VGA - I don't think using another DVI connection on my VGA card is the answer - I have four to pick from and have never had a prior issue with the card on my previous system - I'm still at a loss for this one.

Well, if you do rma and it fixes your issue, let me know, cause i may rma mine. It may explain why i have to pump a stupid ammount of voltage through mine to get stability at 4.0

I didn't mean using another DVI connection on your card: I meant connect to the monitor via VGA (using an included DVI to VGA adapter), because it sounded quite similar to a problem I had.

I don't think my monitor would take a VGA cable, I think it's DVI only.

Still not sure how that'd fix the problem - it's not a regular occurrence, maybe a 25% chance initially that it'd boot that way and then it slowly progresses to a 75% chance and THEN I start getting Network card failures and sound failures which make me clear the CMOS and have to reinstall drivers.

All I know is this is down right weird.

Could it be a RAM issue?

Well, if you do rma and it fixes your issue, let me know, cause i may rma mine. It may explain why i have to pump a stupid ammount of voltage through mine to get stability at 4.0

Rob - what happens to your system if you set your CPU volts to say 1.26 or 1.27? Does the system boot? Can you complete a stress test? Or does your system simply fail at boot?

Would be nice to know as if I'm not giving the chip enough volts and yet it can pass a stress test, then that might be indicative of my situation.

as I don't have the c0 920 anymore I don't have the same issues. However my system still occasionally locks up before POST even displays. reboot, hop into bios and save the settings and it works fine. Rock solid in windows. If i reduce my cpu voltage any from where it's at the system becomes unstable in windows, so that's not an option.

Nice - when I go through that procedure my NIC and Sound cards don't work in windows at all and I have to reinstall drivers and clear the CMOS - so I'm RMA'ing the board back to ASUS...

With this board, can I have my primary video card (GTX260) in the bottom PCIe 16x slot (don't need that PCI slot) and my secondary card (9400GT) in the top PCIe 16x slot?

I'd like to use the PCIe 4x slot for a PCIe 1x TV Tuner card.

Anyone?

Hey!

Have you guys had any luck finding a good Full-block solution to watercool the Gene?
I'm thinking on ordering a Mips set like this one, but a one block solution would be much better IMO.
mch2436.jpg

What do you make of it?

Buying my Rampage II Gene a new home, the SIlverstone FT02 Case. It has Three 180mm Intakes, One 120mm Exhaust, Stack Cooling (bottom intakes to top exhaust), and I will put on a Mega Shadow with Two 120mm Fans in a push pull. Should I do anything else for cooling, as this board is known for high temps? Air Cooling only, going for a mild stable overclock, like 3.5Ghz. 4Ghz if it's easy to do. I have a single XFX 5850, might crossfire someday.

Well guys my EVGA x58 Micro came and it had bent pins in the cpu socket. So I sent back to newegg today and asked for a refund because after more research it seems to be a common issue on that board for people.

I think i'm going to go with this board, my main concern seems to be the north bridge getting excessively hot. Is the Noctua NC-U6 cooler or the Thermalright HR-05 IFX SLI Northbridge Heatsink the better way to go? I am planning on doing an OC to 4ghz or so. This board is on sale at newegg right now for $209.99, could this because of the issues with the NB?

Why thank you, I knew that, but wanted it to be a little cheaper. Can I trust open box items?

Why thank you, I knew that, but wanted it to be a little cheaper. Can I trust open box items?

You're not going to find it cheaper than that right now.

Here is info on open box items...

"If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product’s advertised functions.

These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee."

I dunno man. You could get something great or terrible. I wouldnt risk it myself. I'll pay $50 more for retail box and all the accessories!

The R2G is cheaper than when I bought it! I paid 250 USD for it.

Question: Anyone know if Corsair Dominator RAM works with a Megahalems/Mega Shadow without blocking any of the RAM slots, in both CPU Cooler orientations?

Be careful, I just tried to load it and got invalid boot block, so I backed off. Let me know if you get the same thing.

Be careful, I just tried to load it and got invalid boot block, so I backed off. Let me know if you get the same thing.

I will pass on it then. The changelog states RAM compatibility improvements.

My board doesn't have issues with anything right now so I am standing pat.

Well, I pulled the trigger and updated to the 1033 bios (downloaded from the china mirror). Smmoth sailing, no errors or bricked boards. I'm curious if the updated cpu support mentioned is talking about gulftown?

I'm assuming since no other 1366 cpu's have been recently launched that's what they're talking about in this bios update, probalby not specifically mentioned due to nda.

*update*
Well, my suspicions were correct, as indicated here.

Last edited:
is this a great i7 m-atx board or ist it full of bugs and another mobo is more recomended?

so question : Buy or not buy :D

is there anny new chipsets comming? i read somehwere that wit i9 a new chipsett comes.

is this a great i7 m-atx board or ist it full of bugs and another mobo is more recomended?

so question : Buy or not buy :D

is there anny new chipsets comming? i read somehwere that wit i9 a new chipsett comes.

I may be interested in this board as well. Is it still going strong?

That's interesting. I may wait on X68, I hope that by now makers will release Micro ATX at the same rate as the ATX equivalent.

I actually ended up pulling the trigger and purchased this board. What chipset cooling components do I need? I have an Antec P180 mini and a Noctua NH-12P (it rests left to right). I'm looking at two Themalrights, but am just not sure. I'd prefer not to have to mod unless its very simple.

Thanks!

Got this board, it was an easy OC project, now running 4050mhz, @ 1,39V. is that a litle to high for a 24/7 voltage?

temps are ok, 67 cpu, cores arround 80+

I am by no means a pro as I am still learning about OCing but those temps seem kinda high. I have my OC'd to 3.4 and my cores only hit 47c when under full load with only 1.11v. The load is Prime 95. The Northbridge gets to 59c so thats why I havent gone higher as that seems high to me. If I am wrong someone please let me know.

These i7s get real hot once you push them to 4GHz or so. As long as they're not getting into the 90+ C range it should be fine. I had my i7 at 85C or so for a couple months folding, it didn't bother it much, although it was only a couple months. Can't say for the northbridge, though.

Core i7 CPU temp should be <80°.

Northbridge temps have always been around 62-63° for me, with a fan on it. The board starts to go wonky above 70°. The X58 chipset gets smokin' hot. Stock cooling is inadequate, unless you have active airflow on it.

Hi everyone, what chipset coolers are you using on this board ?

I've just installed a Corsair H50-1 CPU cooler which is great for keeping the CPU cool but also means there is no airflow around the CPU anymore for keeping the northbridge heatsinks cool :(

I've seen posts about the Noctua NC-U6 being a good fit but i can't find one to buy anywhere as they're discontinued.....

I've found the following but don't want to waste my money if they're not going to fit :

Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II
Xigmatek Porter
Alpenfohn Otzi
ANTAZONE AS-N1000
Swiftech MCX159-CU
Thermalright HR-05 IFX
Thermalright HR-05 SLI IFX

motherboard.jpg

I was thinking of using one of these on the heatsink attached to the heat pipe. (highlighted pink)
A 'Alpenfohn Otzi' + fan in place of the northbridge heatsink. (highlighted green)
A 'Thermalright HR-05 SLI IFX' in place of the southbridge heatsink. (highlighted orange)

What do you think ?

Regards
Jonathan

Last edited:
@jonyboy

A few pages back, ReignsofPower, adds a Noctua NC-06 to the stock NB cooler. I originally removed mine and placed a Noctua NC-06 on the NB and a Thermalright Mosfet cooler (forgot the name) on the mosfets. I had to cut the retention brackets of the Thermalright, as mentioned earlier, but it fit fine. I would skip this though and try ReignofPower's method. It's lot less work.

Xoxide.com has the Noctua in stock - http://www.xoxide.com/noctua-nc-u6-chipset-cooler.html. The ones they have in stock have a nickel coating over the copper.

I think all you need is a few washers and motherboard mounting screws. I'll be doing this in the next few days once my new PSU and GPU arrive.

Allso, check from pages 12 on and you'll see what I'm talking about. It took me a little bit to figure it out. Oh and you may not need a 3rd party cooler either. Using a fan on the NB heatsink will be just fine too.

Good luck!

Got this board, it was an easy OC project, now running 4050mhz, @ 1,39V. is that a litle to high for a 24/7 voltage?

temps are ok, 67 cpu, cores arround 80+

Just me beeing stupid :) no need for 1,4V now down to 1,28V and temps down to 59 cpu and 71 core. this with lovered fan speeds and during F@H, prime is a little higher. so im staying at 4.0 ghz++ :)

Hey everyone,

I got this board for a friend's personal server build with a i7-920 and 6GB DDR3. It is really nice and has lots of great features. Additionally, it works great with VMware ESXi4 with an external NIC, and supports VT-d / VMware passthrough.

darkmatter08

Anyone get the Thermalright HR-05 to bolt directly on the bottom plate of the stock Northbridge heatsink? Or is the Noctua NC-U6 the only one that works that way?

Well, I removed the Northbridge to apply Arctic Silver 5 in place of the thermal pads. Looks like it might be possible to stack a Thermalright HR-05 IFX on top of the bottom plate. But would require removing the brass standoffs and drilling through. Or drilling holes where the top heatsink screws into and bolting the HR-05 IFX through those holes. If the bolts can be aligned that way that is.

I can't believe how hot the Northbridge and Southbridge get. I was seeing 80C and 60C respectively. :(

Back