ASUS Rampage II X58 mATX ETA ...

anyone else used this board in a SG03 and is having temp issues?

my i7 is throttleing due to overheating

CASE: Silverstone SG03B
PSU: Seasonic M12 700W
MB: Asus Rampage II Gene
CPU: Intel i7 920
HSF: Silverstone NT06
RAM: Gskill 6GB DDR3 1333mhz
GPU1: Gigabyte GTX260
GPU2: MSI GTX260

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/kivoen/

Although I don't have that case, from the picture, I see that everything are really close to each other. The air flow inside the case is really bad IMO

Silverstone makes some nice looking matx cases but the lack of clearance for larger HSfs is a big issue, expecially for i7 users.

Yeah, you have to get the bigger SFF cases like the Qmicra or Rogue or do some modding like in that link BadOne showed to get the bigger/better hsf units to fit.

oh sorry!! 72C!!!! I ordered a zalman cooler from newegg for $10 shipped..will post results after it is installed.

anyone else used this board in a SG03 and is having temp issues?

my i7 is throttleing due to overheating

CASE: Silverstone SG03B
PSU: Seasonic M12 700W
MB: Asus Rampage II Gene
CPU: Intel i7 920
HSF: Silverstone NT06
RAM: Gskill 6GB DDR3 1333mhz
GPU1: Gigabyte GTX260
GPU2: MSI GTX260

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/kivoen/

I have a similar setup, but plan on putting mine inside of a rogue (the sg03 is housing the dfi jr 790gx). The sg03 fits the Gemin II perfectly fine with no fans. I ran it with an oc'd e7200 and a q6600 for a while. They both did ok (not great, just ok) with just the m12 700 pulling air out and the front 120's suckin air in. the axp 140 might fair a little better, but i haven't looked into that much.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw the same thing yesterday. Why is it deactivated already on NewEgg? Makes no sense. A recall of some kind?

Could be supply problem. I haven't seen or heard anything saying its been discontinued as in no longer in production. In fact other places still have it in stock. Just do a google of it to find it for sale.

just picked up this board to use in a lian li matx setup, hopefully will post pics this weekend.

North bridge temps have been kicking my ass lately. I've had multiple shutdowns during After Effects rendering, and heavy disk and network activity. I've got supplemental cooling arriving in the next few days, but it's been frustrating just the same. Other than the shutdowns, this board has been very good to me. Has anyone else had heat issues?

North bridge temps have been kicking my ass lately. I've had multiple shutdowns during After Effects rendering, and heavy disk and network activity. I've got supplemental cooling arriving in the next few days, but it's been frustrating just the same. Other than the shutdowns, this board has been very good to me. Has anyone else had heat issues?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033909113&highlight=fan#post1033909113

Get it here: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA31311
Ideally being revised with better cooling.

Sooo... few observations on NB cooling.

Thermalright HR-05/IFX (and presumably non-IFX) does not fit over the heat pipe base plate. Heat pipes extend out too wide to the sides. Would have to shim it up to fit, or cut the base.

Zalman NBF47 I can't get its mounting hardware to line up at all... if someone has managed to mount this, care to share your pics?

Xigmatek N881 is just too friggin big in too many ways

So, it looks like ReignsOfPower's solution to use the discontinued (but still available) Noctua NC-U6 is the only working solution I have seen fit over the base plate. Sure, if you remove the stock plate and heat pipe you can fit whatever you want, bu then you need to replace the mosfet cooler, which may be harder to do. The HR-09 can be used for mosfets, but it is a PITA IMO.

The moral? Maybe I should have ordered the Noctua first. Haha.

Hey guys, been away for a while,
Will get to your PM's in a few minutes

img0294b.jpg

For a front on view check here:
http://img150.imageshack.us/i/img0279n.jpg/

Here are some pics of the Noctua NC-06 installed, and my first OC on the GENE. Taken at night, sorry for the poor (flash) lighting.

nc-u6_inst.jpg

nc-u6_fin.jpg

spi32m_4ghz.jpg

vtt 1.275
pll 1.85
qpi 1.275
dram 1.65

so far so good

canislupy,

WTF, still 68C on the NB even with the cooler. Thats under load right, what does it idle at?

Also did you put anything on the mosfets or are you running them naked?

I have had some success just using a Zalman 9700 with the stock cooler. Oriented front to back air is blown over the NB a bit.

As you should be able to see in the first pic, the Noctua is mounted on the Asus stock NB base plate with heat pipe that runs to the mosfet cooler. So nothing is changed there. I am considering replacing the mosfet cooler as well as going direct contact NB cooling, but I'm not going to jump all in at once.

68C is actually not bad, haha... when I first put the cooler on it ran 73C, but seems to be settling down a bit. I didn't really compare before/after, but I also did not OC prior to putting the Noctua on.

Gahh, my eyesite is going, I thought you had stripped off the stock cooling entirely.

To put things in context what is the temperature of the room the computer is in?

Looks like 68C was downright chilly running super pi. Running WoW for over an hour and I was up to 80C... but stayed perfectly stable.

That's still some mega temps there on the NB.

I'm running 1600MHz Ram CL6 1.65VDIMM 1.25QPI
205x21 @ 4.3GHz @ 1.25VTT

NB sits at 54 Idle 65 Load
CPU Idle 28
SB 45

I'm waiting for new Intel SSD's then going to upgrade that.

You NC-U6 has a different base and heat pipe to mine. Mine's all copper. Odd.

Yeah, I noticed that too Reigns. Either they changed to nickle plated or maybe since Noctua discontinued it, the Taiwanese manufacturer is making knock-offs?

Already on X25M raid 0 here, it is sweet, but will suck if Intel really is going to stiff me and not give firmware update to support Win7 TRIM. :mad:

Just played WoW in 25 man raid in Ulduar for over 3 hours and was rock solid... so temps high, but not to the point of being unstable.

Stock northbridge cooler, but I jury-rigged a 92mm fan blowing air down over the RAM slots and I am getting a 5C reduction in NB temperatures.

Stock northbridge cooler, but I jury-rigged a 92mm fan blowing air down over the RAM slots and I am getting a 5C reduction in NB temperatures.
Did the same thing to cover 6 sticks of ram but used a Scythe 100mm fan so I could scoot a corner over towards the NB. It's a strange size that they use on one of their cpu coolers but you can get the fan only at some places including the egg.

The Rampage II Gene threads gets no love so I thought I’d try here. First build noobie question: I’m using all 6 sata connectors from the ICH10R the for hdds. I want to connect a bluray drive using sata. On the Gene model there is a 7th Jmicron JMB363 sata connector. The guide says “this connector is for a Serial ATA signal cable for an external Serial ATA hard disk drive” (to connect external case ports I presume).

Can I connect my bluray drive to this? Does it take a different cable?

Did the same thing to cover 6 sticks of ram but used a Scythe 100mm fan so I could scoot a corner over towards the NB. It's a strange size that they use on one of their cpu coolers but you can get the fan only at some places including the egg.

The Rampage II Gene threads gets no love so I thought I’d try here. First build noobie question: I’m using all 6 sata connectors from the ICH10R the for hdds. I want to connect a bluray drive using sata. On the Gene model there is a 7th Jmicron JMB363 sata connector. The guide says “this connector is for a Serial ATA signal cable for an external Serial ATA hard disk drive” (to connect external case ports I presume).

Can I connect my bluray drive to this? Does it take a different cable?
yes you can connect it to that port, its still just a normal SATA connector, except its run by the jmicron controller.

Last edited:
Just ordered an Antec spotcool fan to help try to cool the NB a bit more.

Just installed an Antec Spot Cool and it lowered my NB load temps from 61C to 51C. Memory, SB, and MB temps are all lower as well (I can't tell you exactly much).
This is on stock NB cooling with AS ceramique. This is the old fan setup I had, the 70mm in the corner is still there, but the 70mm fan over the RAM was replaced by a Spot Cool angled towards the NB at a 45 degree angle and placed directly over the RAM:

VideoCard.jpg

Last edited:
With this board, can I have my primary video card (GTX260) in the bottom PCIe 16x slot (don't need that PCI slot) and my secondary card (9400GT) in the top PCIe 16x slot?

I'd like to use the PCIe 4x slot for a PCIe 1x TV Tuner card.

Not quite sure if anybody else is having this issue however I get a "cold boot" issue where the PC actually BOOTS into windows yet I have NO VGA - the monitor is blank with the "stand by" light still flickering - I hear the windows "chime" etc, so I know the system works fine - yet now VGA.

When I turn it off, then back on - the BIOS is set at 1.6 and I have to go into BIOS, press F10 to exit it and it'll boot fine.

THEN my issues really start.

The NIC and Sound drivers - somehow they're related on this board as they're both RealTek - they just go to sh!t - the NIC just refuses to even work and then I get some VERY odd digital "squeaking" sounds from my Creative X-Fi that indicates to me I'm in trouble.

At this point I have to reinstall the drivers for BOTH the NIC and the SoundMax (even though I'm not even using the onboard sound) and THEN I have to CLEAR CMOS and reset my overclocks etc.

This might make the PC workable for maybe a day or 2 until I get the "blank" VGA boot up again and have to repeat.

My overclock settings are VERY basic and it's stable (OCCT, Prime95, Linx etc) with a load temp in the high 70's low 80's from RealTemp 3.0.

My SLK is at 200, multi at 20 (4.0 Ghz)
Volts are as follows:
VTT: 1.275
PLL: 1.85
QPI: 1.275
DRAM: 1.65

I've emailed ASUS tech and they said it was an "OS" issue - which is a bit odd considering this occurs at the boot level - so I emailed again and will push for an RMA unless you guys can see something I can't.

Not quite sure if anybody else is having this issue however I get a "cold boot" issue where the PC actually BOOTS into windows yet I have NO VGA - the monitor is blank with the "stand by" light still flickering - I hear the windows "chime" etc, so I know the system works fine - yet now VGA.

When I turn it off, then back on - the BIOS is set at 1.6 and I have to go into BIOS, press F10 to exit it and it'll boot fine.

The NIC and Sound drivers - somehow they're related on this board as they're both RealTek - they just go to sh!t - the NIC just refuses to even work and then I get some VERY odd digital "squeaking" sounds from my Creative X-Fi that indicates to me I'm in trouble.

At this point I have to reinstall the drivers for BOTH the NIC and the SoundMax (even though I'm not even using the onboard sound) and THEN I have to CLEAR CMOS and reset my overclocks etc.

This might make the PC workable for maybe a day or 2 until I get the "blank" VGA boot up again and have to repeat.

My overclock settings are VERY basic and it's stable (OCCT, Prime95, Linx etc) with a load temp in the high 70's low 80's from RealTemp 3.0.

Volts are as follows:

I've emailed ASUS tech and they said it was an "OS" issue - which is a bit odd considering this occurs at the boot level - so I emailed again and will push for an RMA unless you guys can see something I can't.

Have you always had this problem or is has this just happened when you OC'd? Try to run your monitor via the VGA cable...

Volts are as follows:

I ran into this problem when i was reaching the oc limit of my c0 920. when I replaced it with a d0, I havn't had the same problem come up, however I do still get random hangs on coldboot. I am running the latest bios. Other than the cold boot issue, the system is 100% prime stable and has showed no signs of instability.

ASUS is giving me an opportunity to RMA the board.

I'm doubtful that it's a case of limited CPU overclock as the volts I have the system at to achieve 4.0 are next to nothing over stock - WHEN the system boots I have zero issues, it just strikes early in the BIOS loading portion of the system - hence I'm thinking I may not have enough voltage going to some portion of the board.

In regards to the VGA - I don't think using another DVI connection on my VGA card is the answer - I have four to pick from and have never had a prior issue with the card on my previous system - I'm still at a loss for this one.

In regards to the VGA - I don't think using another DVI connection on my VGA card is the answer - I have four to pick from and have never had a prior issue with the card on my previous system - I'm still at a loss for this one.

I didn't mean using another DVI connection on your card: I meant connect to the monitor via VGA (using an included DVI to VGA adapter), because it sounded quite similar to a problem I had.

Back