ASUS Rampage II X58 mATX ETA ...

Back from vacation to play with my fresh new Asus board and I still have the same issue.

Tried 2 sets of RAM, even underclocked the RAM and CPU and it won't pass any sandra runs, heck, I even tried to check the bios version in sandra and that blue screened me.

Fvck, The only thing I can think of is the PSU at this moment.

I am using a Silverstone ST50EF-SC psu.

Maybe I need to try something else with this board as that has been the one constant that I haven't altered.

Anybody here using this board with that PSU?

Anyway. This board seems a little better than the other board I had. At least I can run my Kingston DDR3 2000 kit at DDR3 2000 and seem to be stable while playing some games. The other board wouldn't even do that.

I am seeing some odd voltage alarms in Asus PC Probe. At random PC Probe is sounding alerts periodically for different voltages so I am really thinking its the PSU.

Last edited:
today arrived to me the

Thermalright 1366 Kit for IFX ( i use it with an HR-01 Plus )

and the

Thermalright HR-09S Type 2

But the secondo isn't compatible...

the tetention clip are too londand i scared because i think the plate touch on the mosfet connectors...

:

SG03_GENE.jpg

I7 920 Build completed!

Observations - easy to overclock in Bios to run as I7 965 Extreme @3.2ghz (have not tried to go any higher)

SB X-Fi MB: Just as I suspected....adds fancy EAX sound effects and CMS 3D Stereo expansion to rear speakers, but no 5.1 Positional Audio with Openal games (tried several so far)

Performance: Slightly faster in games and benchmarking than my Q9400 Quad setup which was overclocked to the same speed on P5E-VM.

Cooling: Similar temps to Core2 Quad 9400 system in SG03 case (CPU idles ~36C, NB ~56C). I cut up an old Zalman LGA 775 MB plate to use to fit around the CPU plate to attach my NT06 E CPU cooler. :cool:

3DMark Vantage compare: 24626

you have build the system that i have in mind but there is a part i dont get, why did you have to cut up the old zalman MB plater for the NT06? and is it possible to install the NT06 without any mod?

btw what fan/size/rpm did you have underneath the NT06?

This morning i've cut the retention clip end i make a little re-curve...

now the hr-09s type 2 fits on the mobo...

really good

20090417092416_P1010006s.jpg

20090417092821_P1010007s.jpg

20090417092843_P1010008s.jpg

Looking good. Would have been nice if you posted pictures of the modified retention clip...

Tried 2 sets of RAM, even underclocked the RAM and CPU and it won't pass any sandra runs, heck, I even tried to check the bios version in sandra and that blue screened me.
Sandra BSODs on me in Vista x64 and WinXP, as well. Everything else is rock solid stable so I assume it is Sandra.

Sandra BSODs on me in Vista x64 and WinXP, as well. Everything else is rock solid stable so I assume it is Sandra.

So I am not alone....that makes me feel a bit better. The board is great I gotta say.

It takes even my crappiest i7 920 chip to 3700 without a whimper.

you have build the system that i have in mind but there is a part i dont get, why did you have to cut up the old zalman MB plater for the NT06? and is it possible to install the NT06 without any mod?

btw what fan/size/rpm did you have underneath the NT06?

There is an existing metal plate that is on the bottom of the MB that holds the CPU retention mechanism in place. If I used the NT06 mounting plate it would have to go on top of that CPU plate. I wanted the mount to be flush with the MB and go around the CPU plate, so I modded the Zalman plastic plate to fit the way I wanted.

There is an existing metal plate that is on the bottom of the MB that holds the CPU retention mechanism in place. If I used the NT06 mounting plate it would have to go on top of that CPU plate. I wanted the mount to be flush with the MB and go around the CPU plate, so I modded the Zalman plastic plate to fit the way I wanted.

but its totally fine to use the NT06 without your mod right(because i got no zalmans to cut up)?
btw how quiet is your system?

I found that acceptable NB/Power cooling was achieved by simply bolting a zalman chipset cooler to the stock assembly.

I just picked up this motherboard. It's absolutely fantastic. I also picked up some Corsair Dominator GT's.

I've read at numerous locations that the NB gets a bit too toasty. I know the ROG heatsink is modular if you remove the screws. What's the best 'add on' NB cooler you can put on this thing? I don't want to remove the MOSFET cooling as it has a heatpipe attached to the NB.

Here is what I am limited to:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_41

Thanks guys!

Zalman Northbridge Cooler ZM-NBF47

If you are just bolting it on.

Zalman Northbridge Cooler ZM-NBF47

If you are just bolting it on.

Whoa, thanks for the great suggestion. I didn't realize the northbridge cooler was modular like that. And to make things better, I carry those coolers at my store so I can get one pretty cheaply. Did you take the time to do a comparison of temps before and after the heatsink change?

In the P180 mini, how hot is the northbridge and southbridge, seb87.

Also what did you get for the northbridge? Are you going to replace the stock with HR-05? Is it necessary?

I was wondering if the HR-05 SLI / IFX will fit if I use a Scythe Mugen 2.

How much of a difference would it make compare to Zalman ZM-NBF47?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I just picked up a newegg open box. Unfortunately it was OEM, so no accessories.

Question: what are the chances that it will boot up a D0 920? Asus wants $15 to mail me a flashed bios, or I can send them my flash and a return envelope w/ postage.

Hi everyone, I just picked up a newegg open box. Unfortunately it was OEM, so no accessories.

Question: what are the chances that it will boot up a D0 920? Asus wants $15 to mail me a flashed bios, or I can send them my flash and a return envelope w/ postage.

Forgive me for not quite getting it, but what prevents you from flashing the BIOS yourself?

Because I ordered a D0 920 and the board won't boot up with this stepping unless it has been flashed with a more recent bios.

Just got my cpu and cooler in the mail yesterday, got my board fired up with a placeholder power supply, video card and ram. Booted right into my windows install from my p5e-vm hdmi setup, let it prime95 overnight at stock settings so far so good.
I was worried about clearance mounting a TRUE on it in a NZXT rogue, but it turns out theres plenty of room to spare. After I get the rest of my parts and clean up the wiring I'll take some pics.

Heaps of clearance!

NB Heatsink Setup

Heatsinks installed (Finally!)

MmmmMmmm Red

A bit too close for comfort here. Thankfully everything fit snug.

Stark naked :p Just showing here how I managed to fit the 1000W PSU in there.

I think my luck is about to run out, i've been clearing sit by 1mm all day!

Hahaha tilt head on side for best viewing angle!

Here is where my luck ran out! Didn't hurt though, I took it like a man...and cried to mummy :p

Finger 1 - Fan 0

I'll work on a few things later, I have to get that bigboy fan replaced now, I hope it comes with a TriCool speed switch like my current one :(

Still a work in progress! :p Hope you guys enjoy.

Latest Image

Jesus man, why on earth do you have a 1000W PSU? I find it amazing how many ppl in these forums want or have huge PSUs.
If you had the 620W or 520W version even, you would have gained 5cm in depth, you know.

Hey ReignsOfPower, what is the idle and load temp on the northbridge, and difference compare to the stock?

Is the NC-U6 better than the Hr-05 IFX?

Why would you want 5cm extra clearance when you don't need it? :p
I put that in there in case I want to go Crossfire or SLi in the future. And, things like the planned 4890x2 will be drawing 300watts, which will bring that particular PSU into its sweet spot of efficiency. Additionally, there is always the argument, WHY NOT? :p

@ archinthesky
I can't say I have tried the HR-05 IFX before, but I purposefully chose this cooler as it was very simple (but tricky) to mount directly onto the NB modular design with a few washers and some motherboard raiser screws. Right now the NB is idling at 44C, 21C ambient temps. Remember though there is a spotcool fan pointing towards it and the RAM, so that will count for a few degrees also.

Thanks

So i have a question for who ever is nice enough to answer....

So I am about to pull the trigger on the GENE or the Lanboy Jr x58 board... still waiting for a good combo deal from the egg... But my question is mainly about cooling on these boards. I keep reading on these boards and one other place that the northbridge and mofset is prone to get fairly hot and that people are replacing the oem heatsinks with after market ones from thermalright like the one pictured above on this page. Also even water cooling it, which seems to me to be extreme for a non cpu but im not one to judge.

So I guess what my question really is, do you guys think it is nessesary to look into replacing these heatsinks on the NB and mofsets ?

I dont see myself doing extreme overclocking since im upgrading from a amd 2500xp cpu that has stayed OC'd for 6 years with no troubles at all and coming from such an old cpu this will be blazing fast. But I would like to do OCing on it and 4ghz seems like a fun goal but i would be happy with a 3.8oc. It will be air cooling it with a TRUE in a p180mini case (not a typical sff but it moves a ton of air without the HD bays in it).

Can anyone give a me any advice to help me pull the trigger on which Mobo to go with either DFI or ASUS. I like what most have said about the asus but not much feedback from the dfi camp on these boards.

Thanks in advance!

To be perfectly honest changing the NB heatsink on the Gene seems to be fairly easy, from what people are saying (I don't own the board). An aftermarket NB cooler + airflow from the 200 fan should take care of the heat issue, IMO.

i just placed my order on the RIIG which should arrive in 2-3days

just wondering which stepping should i get? C0 or D0?

and for those who got D0 with their board, how did you get your board working with it?

also is there any issues with the latest bios(i noticed a guy on egg complaining about it with something to do with LED poster)?

Finally got a makeshift build up and running with my board. pics are available here I got a C0 core by chance, not by choice, from Newegg, but havn't had a chance to find it's limit yet. I am running the latest bios (0705) and i've been using the LCD poster, so I'm not sure what the complaint was about. so far it's been very stable, and I've been very pleased with it.

i've more problems with my pc...

this is my rig

- Intel Core i7 920 C0
- Asus Rampage II Gene ( with the last bios , the 0705 )
- Gskill 3x2Gb PC12800 - F3-12800CL8T-6GBPI
- Zotac GTX-275
- Corsair HX620W

The system is instable at default frequence...
Somewone has the same kit of ram who i have ?

Wow nice ram. I have the F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (ddr3-1600). I am running it at 2:8 (1066). Try that first, and work up from there. I'm currently at 3.2 GHz, everything is stock (except for ram, which is currently at 1200). I just got the system up today, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Temps are high - 65F northbridge, 72 under IBT or prime95 @ 3.2 GHz.

Wow nice ram. I have the F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (ddr3-1600). I am running it at 2:8 (1066). Try that first, and work up from there. I'm currently at 3.2 GHz, everything is stock (except for ram, which is currently at 1200). I just got the system up today, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Temps are high - 65F northbridge, 72 under IBT or prime95 @ 3.2 GHz.

Do you have this ram kit ??

http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/vie...n&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=59

DDR3_PC_12800_CL8_3GB_6GBPI.gif

i'm @ default with XMP timings and 1.65v but my system continue to have freeze and system stops...

my notherbridge run @ 56° with Thermalright HR-05 IFX and the south @ 54°

anyone else used this board in a SG03 and is having temp issues?

my i7 is throttleing due to overheating

CASE: Silverstone SG03B
PSU: Seasonic M12 700W
MB: Asus Rampage II Gene
CPU: Intel i7 920
HSF: Silverstone NT06
RAM: Gskill 6GB DDR3 1333mhz
GPU1: Gigabyte GTX260
GPU2: MSI GTX260

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/kivoen/

Last edited:
@:akromatic
Did the fan on the cpu cooler lower temps much?
Also what temps are you getting currently?
And did you mod the back plate to fit.

fan does help alot but temps are still very toasty

currently at 3.2ghz @ 1.1v just to keep the temps down

and no i didnt mod the backplate

Back