ASUS Rampage II X58 mATX ETA ...

Well, actually modularity was important... In fact, it was of utmost priority that all cables including the 24 pin cable were modular. Due to the mod's configuration and layout, the cables are going to be shortened. In fact, most will be 6" or less. Not sure why I didn't mention that before... :D

Okay, back to the board... I got my hardware, and installed Vista 64 over the weekend. All I can say, is that this board is amazing (at least stock, OC to come). I've never used a system so quick and responsive. Hell, it almost feels like the mouse can predict where I'm going to move it. Oh, and stable. It just feels freaking solid. It's also the first system in recent memory that can actually suspend, and wake up when prompted!

For the PSU, I'd say your build is very unusual so I 'almost' understand, even though I think 1000W is still over-the-top (you haven't mentioned GPUs). Now back to the board...

Guys, don't think your socket 775 heat sink is going to automatically fit on here (ignoring case space contstraints). The 1366 socket has a large footprint and will prevent alot of 775 heat sinks from fitting. If the metal around the top of th socket doesn't prevent it, the metal backplate on the backside of the motherboard will.

Push-pin design heatsinks where the arms angle down toward the socket will have clearance issues. Push-pin design heatsinks where the arms go straight out have a better chance of fitting.

Any screw-down socket 775 heat sink that uses a conventional backplate and isn't a two-part backplate like the Thermalrights will most likely not fit. I'm still not sure if the stock Thermalright backplate is going to fit. I'll find out in the next few days.

i dont quite get it
so what are some 775 scerw-down NSF will work on it then?
would any noctua ones work? or need to get their 1366 back plate in order for it to work?

Well, if your motherboard stand-offs have enough depth, and you can get longer screws, the stock screw-down type may work.

So far I've been really happy with my Gene II :)
Sitting in its SG-01, it's just begging to be put on water :D

here is the question i spose everyone one is after, will it fit with a NT06 cooler? and is the NT06 good enough for it?

im sure many sugo owners would love to have this board in their rigs

Since it's taking too long for X58 Shuttle to become available......I picked up this board at local Fry's today :cool:

I'll get started on the build this evening: (Will probably install it in my Lian-Li V1000 temporarily so I can compare it against my P5E-VM / Q9400 system which is in my SG03)

I7 920
6GB Gskill 1600
Rampage II GENE
GTX 295
Seasonic M12 700W PSU
2x 74GB Raptors (Raid 0)

20090409132626_P1010001.JPG

20090409132644_P1010002.JPG

mine! :D

question , it's better connect the 8pin or only the 4pin cable ?? i take a GTX275 this week...

when will nocta change color scheme on their fans, looks ugly..

mine board is arriving next week

Considering how popular they are and the color being their trademark that separates them from everyone else, they won't be changing it.

Anybody else notice that the pci express 4x slot is open ended :)

I see SFF finally got a nice board. The distributors I'm looking at have it for about 235....wow, expensive board!

The 775 mATX boards were only like $120 when they came out...I remember cause I sold them :)

$235 is only what I could get them at from distributors...You have to sell them for more!

Yes the NB gets burning hot in a P180 mini with the stock cooling.

stock cooling as in the case or the motherobard itself?
or u mean the CPU HSF?
is it really necessary to add a small fan onto the NB?

What kind of Thermalright cooler is compatible with this motherboard...for the mosfet ?

the distance between the two holes is about 94mm

Last edited:
i've buy now

Thermalright HR-09S Type 2

ThermalRight LGA 1366 IFX-14 Bolt-Thru Kit Retention Clip

:D

SG03_GENE.jpg

I7 920 Build completed!

Observations - easy to overclock in Bios to run as I7 965 Extreme @3.2ghz (have not tried to go any higher)

SB X-Fi MB: Just as I suspected....adds fancy EAX sound effects and CMS 3D Stereo expansion to rear speakers, but no 5.1 Positional Audio with Openal games (tried several so far)

Performance: Slightly faster in games and benchmarking than my Q9400 Quad setup which was overclocked to the same speed on P5E-VM.

Cooling: Similar temps to Core2 Quad 9400 system in SG03 case (CPU idles ~36C, NB ~56C). I cut up an old Zalman LGA 775 MB plate to use to fit around the CPU plate to attach my NT06 E CPU cooler. :cool:

3DMark Vantage compare: 24626

Last edited:
Ok, considering this board. I will be placing a GTX260 and 9800GT in it so that I can drive four monitors.

The GTX260 is my primary video card.

Does it have to be in the top PCIe 16x slot (PCIEX16_1) or can I put it in the bottom PCIe16x slot (PCIEX16_2)? The manual says that for best performance, use the top slot (PCIEx16_1).

I would like to put it in the bottom slot so that I can still use the PCIe 4x slot.

Which slot it goes into doesn't matter. They're probably talking about the minuscule addition of [electrical] travel length from the bottom slot vs the top slot but really... it's absolutely insignificant. And I've stuck GTX260s and GTX280s in my P45 board in the bottom slots cuz of heat paranoia issues and they ran like they normally did.

Would someone who owns this board be kind enough to run this free program that tests DPC Latency (it shows how suitable the board is for handling real-time audio and video)? It doesn't install anything on your computer, only need to run the .exe for a few minutes.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I'm considering this Asus board, its DFI competitor, or maybe just going back to full ATX with a Gigabyte board, and the results of this test will help a lot with the decision.

I wrote Gigabyte to ask if they would be releasing a Micro ATX x58 board and they said plans are for later this fall. Not sure if I'm that patient...

Thanks in advance! Heading over to the DFI thread to post the same request there.

This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs.

Max 46 us

P180 mini with 1 front 120mm sythe fan, 1 rear sythe fan (both running 900rpm). The top stock fan at low and a thermalright ultra-120 extreme with 2 fans.

Thats when my northbridge ran burning hot.

I replaced it with the noctua which sits infront of my two fans on the CPU cooler (its bolted onto the stock assembly) and the NB temps are down to around 50 instead of 90 ;)

http://meaker.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/meaker_bulldoghome_com/systeminside.jpg

Running all stock voltages apart from QPI BUS core/mem both at 1.6v and CPU at 1.325v to get me 3.8ghz CPU, 200 mobo, 1600mem.

Last edited:
I'd say the top 120mm of your push-pull TRUE is superfluous as the airflow from the 200mm fan above is huge.

PS: fix your URL you're missing a bracket at the end

Took a few degrees off. The heatsink is sitting in the dead zone of the 200mm fan.

Seb87 how did you put two HDDs at the bottom of your case?

ordered mine friday, expecting it to arrive on Wednesday. Gonna do a test fit to see if i can fit it into my rogue with a TRUE, i'm prety sure it will fit, but i'm gonna make certain before i order the rest of my parts. Probably gonna be atlest a few more weeks until i can actually build it up though.

Back