ASUS Rampage II Gene @ [H]

So... the DFI mATX i7 or the Asus mATX i7? That is the question.

What about the MSI board (available at $170 on Mwave and Buy) and the forthcoming EVGA board? The MSI board got a good review across the street. I'm expecting the EVGA board to be the most expensive.

Very good times for SFF enthusiasts. :) Now we just need better mATX enthusiast level cases. I've got ideas...

As for a nice sff case maybe take a look here:
http://www.nzxt.com/products/rogue/
That's what I use for my Gene II build.
It's not the smallest but well made with enough space for large HSF's. I think it's a good enthusiast base with potential for modding. Can be fully disassembled. Just replace the awful green hdd led with something more fitting.

@Morry or Kyle: Do you mind posting BIOS screens of your overclocking settings in case you still have the mobo around? I'm having a hard time going over 180 Bclk... but I guess I'm just dumb.

mATX boards have come along way.DFI and ASUS released their x58 boards some time ago with MSI being the latest with their X58M, and EVGA on the way very soon. We are seeing mATX boards show that they can "hang" with the full ATX boards. Maybe a full X58 mATX comparison is due in the near future, [H] style.

Nice board. Can anyone please tell me what is the firewire chipset? Wouldn't think i'll see the day when the manufacturer is ashamed of it.

Cheers so VIA.....what?

ASUS usually list the manufacturer for all their on-board chipsets on their mobo spec pages...

I asked earlier but it might've been missed, does the Gene resume from suspend/S3 successfully? (via USB even?)

ASUS usually list the manufacturer for all their on-board chipsets on their mobo spec pages...

Usually they do. That's what strikes me a bit you know...?

Just about to be ripe for upgrade but need something which will talk well with audio interface....

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you're saying... Hrm, looking at their other X58 boards, most seem to use the Via VT6308, the cheaper SE has a Via VT6315N, and the WS Pro has an LSI Agere FW3227... Yet they don't list the controller for the Rampage II Ext nor the Gene, weird. Edit: At 'least one of their mATX s775 boards uses an Agere FW controller as well (a G45 model), so it could be any of those on the Gene imo. My P5Q Pro has that same Agere controller too. Oh and they don't specify it for the Maximus II Gene either, what the heck...

I don't use firewire for anything so excuse my ignorance but... The VIA controller's actually the better one? Wouldn't have guessed it (I mean, it's VIA...). Odd that they used an Agere controller on a workstation board and they use the VIA one across cheaper X58 boards if that's the case, then again they use the Agere one across most of the s775 line so maybe they just skimped on the WS board.

What about the MSI board (available at $170 on Mwave and Buy) and the forthcoming EVGA board? The MSI board got a good review across the street. I'm expecting the EVGA board to be the most expensive.

Very good times for SFF enthusiasts. :) Now we just need better mATX enthusiast level cases. I've got ideas...

Antec Fusion, love it, and I can't wait to put a more powerful system in it.

Lian Li PC-V350 or 351 is what Im thinkin'...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/HTPC-Chasis-Lian-Li,7070.html

,M-C-180948-3.jpg

I bet I would only need the PSU fan on something that small since the rest of my GENE is watercooled with an external passive radiator...
4blocks.jpg

I tried putting in that Koolance low-profile block on the SB though... no go. Looks like I might have to make my own block out a 1/2" thick chunk of copper and some 3/8" copper waterline for that thing... oh well.

So... ah.... anything on that whole 'if you only use one GPU it should go in the top PCI-E slot'?

I suppose my GTX285 is a single slot card now, so I could move it up top and still have two PCI-E open (I have the X-Fi but plan on adding a PCI-E HDTV tuner as well)... but still...

Anyone knows where can i get a backplate for this board? Got an open box one from the egg, I guess when they say bare board they really mean it.

oops, and by backplate I mean the I/O Shield :) sorry about that, always called them backplates hehe

got a couple of questions for anyone who owns this with a NZXT Rogue.

1.) Has anyone gotten a GTX285 w/stock cooling to fit in the #1 PCI-E 16x along with a Xonar DX in the 2nd PCI-E x16 or will I need to modify the 285 to use a single-slot cooler so that I could use the smaller PCI-E slot?

2.) What are the temps like with this motherboard fully going inside? will the stock fans in the Rogue need to be replaced with higher-flow 120mm fans in order to keep the bridge temps down?

The missus has already given her okay for me to do the upgrade, this will actually be cheaper for me than building a full-size i7 rig :)

2.) Mine is in a somewhat small case (see sig) it idles in a fairly hot room at 68c and peaks out around 78c during hard gaming. no active cooling other than the case. I have been debating some AS5 between the pip and the sink as well as the NB

is it possible that ASUS resolved the NB temp issue? my NB temps stay around 57C during Crysis, and i've yet to see it go above 60C, and it idles at 53C. all of this according to Everest.

Back