ASUS Rampage II Extreme @ [H]

I'm actually looking forward to the Gigabyte x58 board being released, has a few more tricks like 10 SATA ports, 12 USB ports and some other stuff that looked promising (crap load of heatpiping and fins around the northbridge, possibly cheaper than the Asus comparison).
Seriously now
How many people have more than 2 drives in their system (HDD+optical)?
How many of those have more than 3 (HDD+HDD+optical)?
How many of those have more than 4 (HDD+HDD (raid boot)+HDD+optical)?

And how many of THOSE have more than 4 *without* going to an add-in controller?

Same for USB. Who has 12 USB devices and doesnt want to run a hub just to clean up the cables? Much less power reqs. An external optical, kb, mouse, hdd, even a couple thumbdrives and a pair of printers is still only 8. Whats the rest for?

Seriously now

Same for USB. Who has 12 USB devices and doesnt want to run a hub just to clean up the cables? Much less power reqs. An external optical, kb, mouse, hdd, even a couple thumbdrives and a pair of printers is still only 8. Whats the rest for?

This is [H]ardOCP, a lot of us do. I had 12 USB ports 8 years ago on the ABIT AT7 Max. I filled them up quickly. That thing had 6 IDE ports for 12 IDE channels total. I filled them up too just by sticking in all my old drives I had laying about.

3 External HDD, 1 gamepad, 1 mouse, 2 keyboards, mobilephone data cable/recharger, printer, scanner, media reader, 1 thumbdrive, mp3 player docking station, digicam docking station, webcam -> that's 15 easily with common peripherals. Anybody with a lot of electronic toys know that extra USBs are a godsend.

Flexibility > no flexibility/having to buy expansion cards/hubs which cause more headache personally because of the extra power brick.

Seriously now

I do.

the number of guys using a shitload of drives is higher with the more expensivfe boards, but i am sure the vast majority of people here are using 6 or less internal hd and/or optical drives. also the number of guys using more than 8 or 10 usb ports simultaneously is probably a minority.

I'm pretty [w]eak, I use 2 USB ports allways (keyboard, mouse) and occasionally a 3rd (thumbdriver or updating software on my iphone.) Only 2 drives 1 HDD and 1 optical. :(

Wow! Suddenly I moved in to the "minority." I always thought I was one of the regular guys. Ha! Ha! There is no doubt for me that I would like more room for expansion from the ASUS boards but they look so good and sexy I can't resist. Think I'll buy that add-in card. :):)

I feel that the motherboard now needs to grow in size like an inch or size to comfortably fit all the components, think about it

I can't figure out which board that will be the superior choice!

Rampage II Extreme, P6T6 WS Revolution, DFI LanParty X58 or Foxconn Blood Rage :p

Never mind, after reading this I've more or less decided to go for that beauty!

That doesn't actually tell you anything about the board itself though. I would advise waiting until some more info about how well the board performs and overclocks becomes available.

Kyle stated in the review that Asus will be making some physical changes to the board....will these changes be made before the board ships or in a later revision of the board ?

Kyle stated in the review that Asus will be making some physical changes to the board....will these changes be made before the board ships or in a later revision of the board ?
I was wondering the same thing, since these boards are in Retail now.

Is it possible to run only 2 sticks of memory in these tri-channel boards?
Asus's site doesn't even have this one listed yet.

Gary Key stated:
ASUS P6T-Deluxe (0901), ASUS Rampage II Extreme (0602), Intel DX58SO (2724), MSI Eclipse (1.121), and the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (F3D). One note of interest is that we had several problems with our Rampage II Extreme board in regards to memory compatibility and overclocking. The 0602 BIOS certainly improved the situation but ASUS has updated the board and retail units will incorporate the latest component updates.
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=521

Is this board really fixed in retail Kyle?

Gary Key stated:
ASUS P6T-Deluxe (0901), ASUS Rampage II Extreme (0602), Intel DX58SO (2724), MSI Eclipse (1.121), and the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (F3D). One note of interest is that we had several problems with our Rampage II Extreme board in regards to memory compatibility and overclocking. The 0602 BIOS certainly improved the situation but ASUS has updated the board and retail units will incorporate the latest component updates.
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=521

Is this board really fixed in retail Kyle?

As I understood Kyle's statement on the subject in the article itself, the shipping boards should have the fix. The Rampage II Extreme we had was a couple weeks older than any shipping boards.

My board should be here this week..can't wait... :p Should make a nice combo with my EE965.

Ok, thanks N.E. my i7 and mobo won't be here till Monday....:mad: got everything else.

Does anyone know the what the distance from the backplane to the heatsink for the top PCI-E 1 slot? I have a 4 3/4 inch card I would like to place in that slot and wonder it it will fit?

Thanks
C

Does anyone know the what the distance from the backplane to the heatsink for the top PCI-E 1 slot? I have a 4 3/4 inch card I would like to place in that slot and wonder it it will fit?

Thanks
C

I think that is too long to fit. That top PCI-Express slot is nearly useless.

is it possible to put a pci express sound card in the bottom pci express video card slot, if you only intend on running 2 vids in sli ?

I thought that if you ran 3 cards in sli it would be 16x 16x and then 8x... or am I wrong?

Is it a good sound solution, or is it crippled in some aspect so that one would want to get a stand alone sound card?

Is it a good sound solution, or is it crippled in some aspect so that one would want to get a stand alone sound card?

Well I don't think it is as nice as some of the other Creative X-Fi cards. I didn't really look at the specs of the cards and compare them. I will say that it sounds great and from the time I spent with it I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Creative X-Fi Fata1ity card.

a quote from tbreaks review ..'' The soundcard boasts Creative X-Fi technology, but that is actually limited to software only. The 8-channel soundcard uses an ADI AD2000B CODEC and supports EAX 4.0 ''

actually don't unless you want to modify the northbridge heatsink, which would void your warranty. Damn, I wanted to get the MSI X58 Extreme with the waterblock due to its 10 satas and better positioned x1 slot but Kyle just said that mobo has problems with DDR3-1600. damn, damn, damn :(

I already have the Fatality x-fi card myself (the non pci x1 version). Could I run 2 8800 gts 320mb in sli and still use my Fatality in one of the standard pci slots? Or would the cards cover the available slot?

Well , I just got my Rampage 2e yesterday,and to be quite honest the included supreme sound card that was included appears to be the biggest piece of crap sound card I have ever seen..altho I have not heard it I also have no intention of installing it either... I think Iam going to put creative on the back burnner and put the Xonar D2x pci-e on my short list.

Back