ASUS Rampage II Extreme @ [H]

Tri SLI = IRQ #24, 30 & 32
X-Fi Titanim in the upper pci-ex1 slot IRQ #16
No popping or crackling

Sounds like you need to select "no plug & play OS" in the bios & reload windows so that the bios can delegate IRQ's.
Unfortunately the only way to reset the IRQ's after selecting "no plug & play OS" is to reload a fresh copy of the OS afterwards.

Hope that helped.

Great !
Will try the plug&play option and else swap to core i7 :)
Thanx m8 !

I am building a new rig using the Rampage II. So far I have the following.
Case Tt Armor+
Mobo Rampage II Ex
PSU Corsair HX1000W
GPU BFG GTX 285 OCXE
Boot and OS drive 2 300 Gb V-Raptors (RAID-0)
Storage drive 1 Tb WD RE3
Optical drives 2 ASUS SATA DVD RW
Floppy and card reader
CPU cooling Zalman CNPS9900
Fan controller NZXT
Sound Card Internal supplied software X-Fi for now

The key missing componnents are:
*The CPU. I have been waiting for the i7975 to become available but the prices on the 920 are getting so low and I am tired of waiting so I am thinking of starting with it and seeing how far I can OC it on air and then upgrade to a 975 later.
*The Memory, I am waiting for the Dominator GT to be available again. I am going with the lower latency instead of the higher speed.
Any comments on my choices so far and any and all advide will be apriceated.
I am so glad I found this thread as I am far from an OCing expert and it looks like there are a number of you who have experience with this board.

In looking through this thread I see some speculation on a newer Rev. What Rev do you all have? I just got this board from New Egg and the Rev is 1.01G. Is there anyuthing later than this out?

I can't stand that case, (personal preference, I hate the flaps on the Armor cases and think they look cheap) but it looks good so far.

I understand about prefrences and I respect them. I do not like casses with doors that stick out far when they are open or if they are closed block quick access. Yet, I do want something to protect the componnents on the front from something like, say ... a pair of big dogs running into my office... so the Armor flaps work for me. I have both Armor and Armor + casses and I do think that they improved the case in a number of ways with the plus series.I use the aluminum versions which are sometimes difficult to find.

Quick question for you that are familiar with this board.

There is a 7th SATA port which is not on the ICH10R in the lower right below the 6 SATA outputs. I have an eSATA port on the front of my case which I will connect to it. There is also an eSATA output on the back of the board which is the one I will be using. I am assuming this is the same port and that I can only use one e SATA drive at a time, either the front one connected to the post on the lower Rt or the rear. Is this correct?

Also, there is a 1394 output on the back as well as a 1394 set of pins in the lower left of the board. Are they two 1394 ports and can both be used or only one at a time.
I am wiring and if there is no sense in connecting the two sets of outputs on the board (the eSATA and the 1394) then I will not bother running cables to the front of my case for them.

Quick question for you that are familiar with this board.

There is a 7th SATA port which is not on the ICH10R in the lower right below the 6 SATA outputs. I have an eSATA port on the front of my case which I will connect to it. There is also an eSATA output on the back of the board which is the one I will be using. I am assuming this is the same port and that I can only use one e SATA drive at a time, either the front one connected to the post on the lower Rt or the rear. Is this correct?

Also, there is a 1394 output on the back as well as a 1394 set of pins in the lower left of the board. Are they two 1394 ports and can both be used or only one at a time.
I am wiring and if there is no sense in connecting the two sets of outputs on the board (the eSATA and the 1394) then I will not bother running cables to the front of my case for them.

The 2 eSata ports you refer to are both active; I've used them both.
Same goes for the 1394 ports, both active & tested.
If I remember correctly, you can even set up raid 0 on the Jmicron eSata ports on post boot. You'll have to install the Jmicron raid driver to that though.

Can anyone with the i7 920 series cpu, point me to some working settings to overclock to 3.2ghz or maybe 3.6ghz..

I've tried so far, but i usually end up with a vista freeze..

Thanks

The 2 eSata ports you refer to are both active; I've used them both.
Same goes for the 1394 ports, both active & tested.
If I remember correctly, you can even set up raid 0 on the Jmicron eSata ports on post boot. You'll have to install the Jmicron raid driver to that though.

Correct.

Great, thank you both! I am all built now except for the CPU and Memory. As I cannot fire it up yet I have really taken my time with the wiring, this is the neatest build I have ever done. I think that as soon as my memory comes in I just may buy an i7 920 and start with that CPU and upgrade later.

Great, thank you both! I am all built now except for the CPU and Memory. As I cannot fire it up yet I have really taken my time with the wiring, this is the neatest build I have ever done. I think that as soon as my memory comes in I just may buy an i7 920 and start with that CPU and upgrade later.

Coming from a former hardcore AMD enthusiast; I thought I'd never say this but, i7 920 is an excellent overclocker & in my opinion, the biggest bang for the buck.
Good luck & have fun.

I choose the best available at the time and moderate that with my confidence in the company. I interviewed AMD at Comdex some years ago and they were so arrogant that I was turned off. Still, I was ready to build with an AMD chip a few years back. The only reason I did not was the Intel QX series came out. If AMD were on top of the performance heap I would use them. I am not interested in performance for the price but, for the purpose of these specific rigs, pure performance and reliability so
i7 will be the next build.

Speaking of that:
I understand that the new Corsair Dominator GT memory will be available in limited supply in the next few days. I am trying to decide between speed and latency.
I tend to think that I will give up a little speed for better latency. Here are the two products I am considering. What are your comments guys?
https://shop.corsair.com/store/item_view.aspx?id=857944

https://shop.corsair.com/store/item_view.aspx?id=833269

Hello,

I just purchased this motherboard along with 6gigs of Corsair Dominator. In the future I would like to add another 6gigs but am concerned with the height of the heatshields. Has anyone installed a CPU cooler other than the Intel stock one that does not block the first slot closest to the CPU on the Asus Rampage II Extreme?
Any suggestions would help!

Thanks,
Butch

The Zalman CNPS9900 fits with room to spare. I am sure there are others also.

Just build myself a new build with this board but kept a lot of my old parts:

Core i7 920 w/GTZ waterblock
R2E
3x2gb OCZ 7-7-7-24 dd3-16000
Thermaltake 850W PSU (SLI certified)
2x150gb Raptor raid 0
1x1TB Hitachi storage drive
Soundblast Xi-Fi Fata1ity Xtremegamer
Thermaltake VA8003BWS w/25cm fan
BFG GTX280H2OCWC
Eheim 1250, BIE 240, fillport, 1/2" tubing

so far running @ 4ghz (4.2ghz turbo) stable for almost 20hrs now on 1.42v. Temps are around 65-69 per core during Intel Burn in.

Thanks Baer!

I've looked at that Zalman and thought it might fit.
Does anyone have any Thermalright 1366 series on the R2E? If so can all six slots be used?

I am building a new rig using the Rampage II. So far I have the following.
Case Tt Armor+
Mobo Rampage II Ex
PSU Corsair HX1000W
GPU BFG GTX 285 OCXE
Boot and OS drive 2 300 Gb V-Raptors (RAID-0)
Storage drive 1 Tb WD RE3
Optical drives 2 ASUS SATA DVD RW
Floppy and card reader
CPU cooling Zalman CNPS9900
Fan controller NZXT
Sound Card Internal supplied software X-Fi for now

The key missing componnents are:
*The CPU. I have been waiting for the i7975 to become available but the prices on the 920 are getting so low and I am tired of waiting so I am thinking of starting with it and seeing how far I can OC it on air and then upgrade to a 975 later.
*The Memory, I am waiting for the Dominator GT to be available again. I am going with the lower latency instead of the higher speed.
Any comments on my choices so far and any and all advide will be apriceated.
I am so glad I found this thread as I am far from an OCing expert and it looks like there are a number of you who have experience with this board.

Yo Baer,
Why are you dumping so much money into RAM and the CPU? You could be going Tri-SLI for that kind of money. Also, there is no guarantee that you will even be able to run the Dominator GT's at their rated speeds since it depends on your overclock. Research some good 920 batch #'s and OC it to 4.0Ghz, then purchase two additional graphics cards so you can actually see some good performance gains. Especially since 3-Way SLI scales so well with i7. Also get a better heatsink like a TRUE or a noctua NH-U12P. I am assuming you have a 30" monitor already.

I have said this before, here are the priorities
1. Reliability (running high speed stuff running below absolute max is more reliable)
2. Performance
3. Perceived Performance
5-9. Anything else
10. price

While gaming will be done on these rigs it is not the main thing and certainly not primarily shooters. Reliability and no glitches are key so getting a few more FPS by going triple SLI if there is stuttering or a glitch is a negative.
Having the best real or perceived hardware available is important.
The monitors that go with this are a pair of 24" Samsung 245T's and a 1080P large DLP with hard wired switching.
The only reason I am considering a 920 for this rig, which is a demo prototype, is because the 975 is not available yet and I want to play with the prototype. When it is available that is what will be used even if the actual performance is similar to the 920. I have to believe that a 975 running at 4 Ghz will be more reliable than a 920 running at 4 Ghz, which leads me back to my #1 #2 and #3 on the list above.

I have a question about the case dimensions needed for this board to do 3 way sli. My case is a Silverstone Tj09 with seven slots. Will I be able to fit 3 gtx cards in there?

If this question has already been answered I appologize...

Thanks.

I have a question about the case dimensions needed for this board to do 3 way sli. My case is a Silverstone Tj09 with seven slots. Will I be able to fit 3 gtx cards in there?

If this question has already been answered I appologize...

Thanks.

This mobo is wider by one inch over standard ATX mobo. Measuring from the back mounting rail straight across to the very tip of the HD/front mounting housing, if the clearance is 11 inches or better then you are fine. If not, you have a problem (especially with long GTX285/295 cards).

This mobo is wider by one inch over standard ATX mobo. Measuring from the back mounting rail straight across to the very tip of the HD/front mounting housing, if the clearance is 11 inches or better then you are fine. If not, you have a problem (especially with long GTX285/295 cards).

Was wondering about the slots... I have seven in the back. I think that with my case 3 way sli will not work though the motherboard will probably have no issues fitting...

Thanks.

Are you sure about the MB being one inch wider?? I don't remember that in the review here. Guess I'll go back and read it again.

EDIT: You are correct!! :( On the first page it is listed as ATX 12.0" x 10.6".

Well I'll know today if it fits in my Silverstone FT01B/W. FedX is on there way here now.

Thanks,
ButchB

My R2E has just arrived Rev. 2.01G and it won't fit my Silverstone FT01 B/W case.
BUT "Mister Dremel" will make it fit oh so snug in its new home.
Going to Home Depot for a fresh supply of cutting disks. (and a beer)

Butch

Was wondering about the slots... I have seven in the back. I think that with my case 3 way sli will not work though the motherboard will probably have no issues fitting...

Thanks.

You will need a case with at least 8 expansion slots if you are planning 3 way SLI.

My R2E has just arrived Rev. 2.01G and it won't fit my Silverstone FT01 B/W case.
BUT "Mister Dremel" will make it fit oh so snug in its new home.
Going to Home Depot for a fresh supply of cutting disks. (and a beer)

Butch

Thanks, that pisses me off as I just got mine two weeks ago and it is already one rev behind.

What? I sold mine, but I think it was 2.01G also (or was it 2.00G?) If it is true that there is a new revision, then I bet it's the new revision of IOH chipset that they just implement that's why Asus come up with the new revision 2.01G. If you read around the web, supposedly Intel just come up the a new revision of X58 chipset which runs cooler and a few more features (I think). So, mobo makers will now implement this new revision of chipset on their boards. This must be it...

I wonder if that may also be a difference with the P6T Deluxw Version II??

No way no how will a GTX295 fit(in my case) for tri-sli. This case has 7 slots.( Silverstone FT01) I hope that helps.

ButchB

I wonder if that may also be a difference with the P6T Deluxw Version II??

As I understand it, the V2 mainly lacks the SAS ports. Otherwise it is virtually identical to the standard P6T Deluxe. (I could be wrong, I haven't kept up with all of ASUS' X58 boards.)

That is the public stance but I believe that there were other tweaks.

BTW, I was able to get one of the new version R-II Ex Bds :)

That is the public stance but I believe that there were other tweaks.

BTW, I was able to get one of the new version R-II Ex Bds :)

I just confirmed that the original release is indeed 2.01G, so I'm not sure where you get the information that it is the new revision.

I just confirmed that the original release is indeed 2.01G, so I'm not sure where you get the information that it is the new revision.

I don't know either. Supposedly, between our review and release, ASUS tweaked the Rampage II Extreme, but as far as I know nothing was ever done with the P6T Deluxe. Version 2 simply lacks the SAS controller.

My first R-II Ex is Rev 1.01G, the ones shipping now are 2.01G. I will be removing the GPU this weekend so I will take a picture of the marking showing that.
As far as the P6T version II , I know that is the public story, the SAS controller was removed thus creating the version II but I really believe that there were a few other tweaks. That is my opinion only however.

No way no how will a GTX295 fit(in my case) for tri-sli. This case has 7 slots.( Silverstone FT01) I hope that helps.

ButchB

Sorry Pal, u can't use a GTX295 in Tri SLI, too many gpu's.
The most u can use is 2 GTX295 cards in Quad SLI.
You can only use single gpu cards in Tri SLI.
Ex: 3 x BFG 285 H2oc's
Because there's 2 gpu's on the GTX295 u can use 1 card in normal SLI.

Last night I received my Rampage 2 Extreme to replace the very problematic EX58-Extreme.

I have to admit, I've never licked Asus but this mobo made me see how wrong I was.
I'm not sure what rev. this mobo is but it say rev. 2.xx in the mobo info software.

Now I have to learn the BIOS, I've mastered the gigabytes and Abits, now it's time for Asus.

Ohhh look my Asus cold boots fine :D now what should I do with this gigabyte EX58-Extreme, I should hunt down a customer for it ASAP.

...Ohhh look my Asus cold boots fine :D now what should I do with this gigabyte EX58-Extreme, I should hunt down a customer for it ASAP.

Someone's been very persistent about buying an i7 system on the For Sale forum, you might try him first.

Would love to, but curretly I live in KSA and shipping from there will cost an arm and a leg!
I'm looking for a local buyer.

Would love to, but curretly I live in KSA and shipping from there will cost an arm and a leg!
I'm looking for a local buyer.

Well, you will still have the other arm and leg, you know...just kidding.

Joking aside, where or what is KSA?

Back