Asus Rampage 3 and Windows 7 x64 SP1 hanging constantly, ready to throw in the towel

egandt

n00b
I have an ASUS Rampage III with an x980 happens at stock. I'm booting off a Vertex 3 240GB, with a secondary Gskill 120GB. Now the Gskill was the old boot drive and I've had this system for a full year without too many issues (even OC'ed), but lately I've had it. Windows 7 boots and runs like a champ. The problem is it often (over 8 hours of use) maybe 2 or 3 times, it will hang, now I'm not talking a blue screen or anything like that. The problem is the SSD's both seem to disappear, aka I'm told shortcuts are invalid as the path does not exist, (which it would if C drive existed). If I wait 10 minutes (or so about) it will sometimes come back (nothing is logged in events), other times it will not, and I'm forced to hard reset.

Basically I've had it; I can not find anyway to determine a cause and thus a solution as Windows logs nothing and even when it logs something it logs to the bad drive I assume, so there is no logs or anything.

One theory is this is one of those Vertex/MB issues people talk about, but if so it should not affect other drives which it does, as I know the other SSD and the DVD drive disappear as well. Basically without proper logging the error will continue, and I'm going to be forced to dump this POS as I can not even give away a system which hangs constantly as obviously stability is critical.

I've tried:
Each of the MB controllers (there are 3)
Switching boot drives
Flashing latest firmware to MB and all SSD's
reinstalling from scratch (waste of 8 hours of my life)
Removing all Overclocking
Actively monitoring the Boot drive as best I can in windows for reads/writes

Any suggestions other than dumping the brand new very expensive SSD? (which would make anyone sad).

Thanks,
ERIC

Did you try a different motherboard? The motherbroard could be failing.

Back