ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX GAMING Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
A review of the ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX GAMING has popped up over at VModTech today. Rumor has it that this card will retail at or around $259 U.S. dollars. The site isn't in English and some of you might have problems accessing the site so I snagged a few images for you.

I'm going to be 'that guy' and ask how that score compares to a 960 and 970. I don't play benchmarks.

Well for one only 2 gig of vram? Really? I hope this is at a price point.. to compete with cards from what.. 5 maybe 6 years ago?

It's because they know people like me would never look twice at their high-end offerings if I could CFX their midrange cards freely without being constrained by some other limitation (low total VRAM in this case, limiting the amount of cards that can work together in other cases)

nice that they are keeping the LEDs near the power plug to see if the card is DOA or not.

I'm going to be 'that guy' and ask how that score compares to a 960 and 970. I don't play benchmarks.

fsde.jpg

Well considering this score is more relevant, the graphics score is 8383. Kinda hard to find reviews where they benched a 970 gtx on a fucking 5960x @ 4.4 ghz, so we'll just go by graphics score.

r9 380: 8383 graphics score
970 gtx: 11,000-12,000 at stock clockspeeds
960 gtx: 8000-9000 depending on clockspeed

So it's definitely comparable to the 960 gtx.

Think this would crossfire with my R9 285?

Not that I need to, but just seems like fun to try crossfiring without the cable :)

(Meanwhile, I like the look of the ASUS Strix cards, both green and red team. Just wish I felt more comfortable with ASUS support / service.)

Think this would crossfire with my R9 285?

Not that I need to, but just seems like fun to try crossfiring without the cable :)

(Meanwhile, I like the look of the ASUS Strix cards, both green and red team. Just wish I felt more comfortable with ASUS support / service.)

Or buy another R9 285 for much cheaper instead of AMDs new overpriced rebrands? - http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=182&sort=a8&page=1

Although in general I wouldn't bother going dual GPU for 2GB cards anymore.

That bandwidth is garbage... and it's performance for the R9 380x is laughable. Makes me wonder where the R9 390x lands versus nVidia if their 380x is equal to the 960.

That bandwidth is garbage... and it's performance for the R9 380x is laughable. Makes me wonder where the R9 390x lands versus nVidia if their 380x is equal to the 960.

There is no 380x only the 380. At this point I have to assume AMD is refusing to release full Tonga as a 380x to milk the market.

It's because they know people like me would never look twice at their high-end offerings if I could CFX their midrange cards freely without being constrained by some other limitation (low total VRAM in this case, limiting the amount of cards that can work together in other cases)

2 medium cards in Xfire are never as good as a single good higher end card and usually the same price...

2 medium cards in Xfire are never as good as a single good higher end card and usually the same price...
Never as good? GTX460 SLI wasn't a bad value as I recall. Unless you specifically meant Xfire

http://www.vmodtech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/14/amd/fsde.jpg[IMG]

Well considering this score is more relevant, the graphics score is 8383. Kinda hard to find reviews where they benched a 970 gtx on a fucking 5960x @ 4.4 ghz, so we'll just go by graphics score.

So it's definitely comparable to the 960 gtx.[/QUOTE]

Not that'll it change much but that was with older drivers.

fsde.jpg

So it's definitely comparable to the 960 gtx.

Guys, just found here

http://www.vmodtech.com/th/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-4gb-review/page/7

Never as good? GTX460 SLI wasn't a bad value as I recall.
If anything, the higher-end cards are usually priced specifically above what midrange cards can SLI/CFX for at the same FPS -- this is why people bother going multi-GPU (as well as when there is no higher single option)

Never as good? GTX460 SLI wasn't a bad value as I recall. Unless you specifically meant Xfire

Not that'll it change much but that was with older drivers.

Even when basic fps graphs make xfire/sli look good (as in equal or slightly better), single GPU is still much much better.

Is there a site comparing performance of the 390/x with current cards yet?

AMD has lost their minds. Instead of spending money on downgrading Fiji to fit lower segments (Like they did with the 5870->5770, 6970->6870, 7970->7870) AMD took that money, spent it on that 3 hour Mountain Dew commercial last night, and used the rest to rebox and re-flash R9-285, R9-290, and R9-290X cards, and have the audacity to charge up to $100 more for the job of re-naming the cards.

$260 is a lot to pay for an R9-285 with a new sticker on it. $330 is a lot to pay for a slightly overclocked R9-290, and $430 is a downright insult for the R9-290x. So, what do we have? A two year old GPU with stickers covering it in hopes of fooling people to believe it's a new card.

i'm thinking of upgrading my wife's and my video cards. ...depending on where the price ultimately is for the nano.

lets see the 290x is 275 watts correct?
the nano is ~175 watts
if the nano is 2x per watt performance vs the 290 then the nano should perform as a 350watt 290.... 275 is 78.5% of 350 so the nano - if this is correct... should be ~20% faster than the 290x....

of course i know nothing, i'll just get the best card for the buck ultimately, heck if the nano falls ~400 dollars, the video card will cost more than the rest of my computer did.... (i still use amd cpu's for gaming- for what i do they are fine)

i'm thinking of upgrading my wife's and my video cards. ...depending on where the price ultimately is for the nano.

lets see the 290x is 275 watts correct?
the nano is ~175 watts
if the nano is 2x per watt performance vs the 290 then the nano should perform as a 350watt 290.... 275 is 78.5% of 350 so the nano - if this is correct... should be ~20% faster than the 290x....

of course i know nothing, i'll just get the best card for the buck ultimately, heck if the nano falls ~400 dollars, the video card will cost more than the rest of my computer did.... (i still use amd cpu's for gaming- for what i do they are fine)

I'm thinking it'll be around 980 gtx performance.

Hey, the 285 has been at about that price for it's entire lifetime. Apparently AMD think people will pay a $30-50 premium for 5% more performance over the GTX 960.

Back