ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP Video Card Review @ [H]

i know, but its all we have leaked for the 290x right now for comparison.

Its really just to get a feel for how much more powerful the 290x could potentially be.

Problem is 3DMark takes the CPU and Physics performance into account in creating that score, making it not so much of a GPU performance benchmark, but more of an overall systems benchmark. So, take all those numbers with a grain of salt, system CPU and other things affect that score. But there ya go.

i know this as well, just the gpu score would be more helpful

my 7970@1ghz GPU score is around 7721

Thank you sir.

Very interetsing stuff.

If the leaked slides are to be believed with GPU score around 11K, we could be looking at 30% improvement in the 290x

yes, yes, im taking it with a grain of salt.

Pretty disappointing that there wasn't atleast a little bump in stock clocks. Price point is nice. What I find more interesting is the huge gap in prices between the 280x and even the most modest predictions for the the 290 non-x. Could we see a 285 or even a 285x sometime in the future just to close the gap? I am thinking yes.

Good point! A bit early to tell at the moment, but if the 290 turns out to be a 290x with fewer stream processors and a lower clock speed, it will likely be a direct competitor to the GTX780 and will probably be priced $500 upon release (guessing). That would leave a $200 gap between the 290 and 280x which is an open invitation for a 285/285x. Either that or the 290 will be priced even lower to close the gap.

The most interesting thing will be the pricing of the 290x. AMD will be able to demand a price premium if it is in fact a Titan killer. It will definitely be the most expensive single GPU solution that AMD has ever released.

I think it's obvious that:

290X = supposed to compete with TITAN on performance
290 = supposed to compete with 780 on performance

The pricing will set how they are compared by price, and could shake things up, we will see

yes, its pretty obvious, but just how close they will compete is what all the speculation is about.

although other than GPGPU, there isnt much of a performance delta between the 780 and the Titan.

It's the same width as previous generation cards. They have added back 2 dual-link dvi ports. Yes, it has 2 dual-link dvi ports.

I was refering to the 3 slot wide Asus 7970 DC2. You lose 3 DP ports, but gain a 2 slot design.

Question why is the only detail level dialed down in Tomb Raider the single most significant detail option in the game?
When I got Tomb Raider and started testing the visual detail options it became obvious that literally every other setting was secondary to TressFX. Basically dropping a few details levels down a notch lets you turn on TressFX. On my Tahiti LE on the ingame benchmark Ultra - normal hair had the same FPS as: TressFX on, Shadows high, DoF off MSAA 8x. So I got an improvement that vastly improved the game visually, in exchange for MSAA down one notch which is noticeable but barely, shadows that you can tell the difference in screenshots, but not so much when actually playing. And turning off a feature that intentionally makes the image worse with a huge performance penalty. (DoF blurs the background, but that is only a legitimate action if you think Lara Croft is myopic, since otherwise if you(she) are looking at the background it SHOULD be in focus).

Maybe I was too traumatized from playing Skyrim and its straw mops for hair, but in my opinion for Tomb Raider the first thing should be turn on TressFX, and dial the rest of the settings around that.

I suppose it depends if you think PhysX is worth $100.

Nvidia seems to think so.

Well i'm sure NV is having discussions on how to respond to the 280X. It is entirely possible that they will lower the 770s price - we will see.

When it comes to these things, NV usually takes a wait and see approach. I think it's pretty abundantly clear that the 770 is a horrible value in comparison to the 280X, so hopefully a price cut happens.

I think it's obvious that:

290X = supposed to compete with TITAN on performance
290 = supposed to compete with 780 on performance

The pricing will set how they are compared by price, and could shake things up, we will see

I am waiting to see how an OC'd 290 compares to the 780 and the TITAN....;););)

and of course to look at what the 290X brings to the table.

All this speculation makes me nauseated.......if the 290X and/or 290 comes in for less than a 780, gimme two.:D

Rebranding without a real hardware change is always lame. Case in point: Comcast -> XFinity

These "brilliant" marketeers think people will fall for it, but I just don't think they can be that dumb, unless they really aren't paying attention. It confuses people more than it helps IMHO.

That being said, the new, lower pricing is a very positive development I am looking forward to see how it will play out as far as the competition goes.

I am waiting to see how an OC'd 290 compares to the 780 and the TITAN....;););)

and of course to look at what the 290X brings to the table.

All this speculation makes me nauseated.......if the 290X and/or 290 comes in for less than a 780, gimme two.:D

Ah, in my head I was guessing the 290X was going to be some sort of dual chip thing that formerly would have been called a 7990, but as stated, yes. Lots of speculation is silly.

Zarathustra[H];1040267643 said:
Rebranding without a real hardware change is always lame. Case in point: Comcast -> XFinity

These "brilliant" marketeers think people will fall for it, but I just don't think they can be that dumb, unless they really aren't paying attention. It confuses people more than it helps IMHO.

That being said, the new, lower pricing is a very positive development I am looking forward to see how it will play out as far as the competition goes.

Of course people fall for it. Why do you think AMD and NVidia keep doing it? H'ers are a very small subset of the PC gaming population.

Last edited:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/60961-amd-radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x/?page=12

all but the 290 and 290x are available now, so just a matter of time before you see whichever model you want to get on the shelf, yeh with a new name would have been nicer if there was more then just a top to bottom rebrand but I suppose the new naming makes a tad more sense. Guess we wont see GCN2 till the top cards and next series come out, but yeh if the 290 and 290x are facing the 780 and Titan they will undercut the pricing for sure unless they end up smoking them, if the 280x is $299 then I see the 290 being $349 and the 290x being $459 or so, though it does seem there might be some very nice factory clocked cards as the asus 280x shows with some mods they can really fly speed wise.

also relayer HUH???

With two ne w cards at the top, how can it be a top to bottom rebrand? It is exactly what Nvidia did. Why should AMD be different?

Though I dislike using 3DMark to compare results between other people, I personally run my own testing internally A.) as a curiosity and B.) to see how cards change performance on my personal test system and C.) to add as one stability test

So please, don't put a lot of emphasis on these numbers, but here are my Firestrike numbers I got when I tested the ASUS card:

Firestrike - Overall score - 7659 - Graphics Score - 8503 - (Graphics Test 1 - 39.64 fps, Graphics Test 2 - 34.64 fps)

Firestrike Extreme - Overall score - 3821 - Graphics Score - 3943 - (Graphics Test 1 - 19.86 fps, Graphics Test 2 - 15.08 fps)

What's the overclocking verdict? :) lots of card, lots of cooling, lots of volts...

What award was this card supposed to get? The link to the image is broken.

1381134778LXpy2pFUWk_9_2.gif

I know this doesn't flow with the "Paid by NVIDIA" narrative, but shit happens. ;)

Of course people fall for it. Why do you think AMD and NVidia keep doing it? H'ers are a very small subset of the PC gaming population.

Rebranding is not some play on non-H'ers. If you read our article on it we touched on this with some easy explanations.

Question, Brent: Coil whine was a pretty widespread problem on certain 7970 models (I experienced this myself with several SKUs), did you encounter any of this with any 260,270 or 280X models? Very curious about this. I hope AMD corrected whatever issue caused that with the 7970 (Although it only affected certain SKUs..)

well it is a kind of rebrand, not like the oem 8000 series or for that matter the Nv 8000 to 9000 series and many in between but hey.

As far as coil whine, would this not be a problem with many Nvidia cards as well as this is Vreg based(correct?) and only so many makers make these, maybe it has something to do with one using high amps low volts vs the other low volts high amp?

I don't think I have ever heard it myself as my fans are a constant hum I have gotten used to I only hear my PSU an HX750 "click" when it does its boot to windows portion.

Faulty Vregs or??

So nvidia had 660/670/680/690 and now radeon has 260/270/280/290 ... I think nv's coming maxwell line should be called 3630/3750/3870/3990 ... :D

No but the fact that you gave the HD 7970 DirectII CU no award at all when they're pretty much the exact same card does seem rather suspect. To go from "not even a silver award" to "gold award" on essentially the same card smells fishy to me. How do you explain this? Throwing a gold award or two at the entire Radeon lineup from the HD 7xxx to now when almost every nVidia card gets one DOES jive with the "Paid for by nVidia" narrative. Not everyone is fooled by this.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/11/asus_hd_7970_directcu_ii_video_card_review/#.UlyBQhCKp2M

I would suggest reading the last section of the first page of that article. If it was not for that issue, I would have given it a gold award.

They're also not the same card. From sheer looks, the 7970's DirectCU II cooler looks a bit better than the one on the R9 280X, but I haven't seen the latter in person.

No but the fact that you gave the HD 7970 DirectII CU no award at all when they're pretty much the exact same card does seem rather suspect. To go from "not even a silver award" to "gold award" on essentially the same card smells fishy to me. How do you explain this? Throwing a gold award or two at the entire Radeon lineup from the HD 7xxx to now when almost every nVidia card gets one DOES jive with the "Paid for by nVidia" narrative. Not everyone is fooled by this.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/11/asus_hd_7970_directcu_ii_video_card_review/#.UlyBQhCKp2M

It's the price man

Thanks, please let me know where to pick up my check. I seem to be missing those.

To be direct to your nonsensical point, value, value, value, and value, when it comes to the non-halo product category. Maybe you should get back to your "Intel is SATAN and nVidia sits at Intel's left hand" group.

Alouette Radeon said:
This isn't an AMD fanboy club, it's an Intel/nVidia haters club! WOOT!

Back